1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Prerunner and snow experience

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by prerunner11, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Dec 29, 2012 at 3:57 PM
    prerunner11

prerunner11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2011 Magnetic Grey Prerunner Dbl Cab Sport
    Softopper
    I finally got a chance to test out my prerunner with some of the white stuff on two separate occasions over the weekend. I had ~150lbs of sand and cargo in bed, full tank of gas and stock dueler HT's w/ ~15k miles on them.

The first time there was probably an inch or two of slush. This was my first time in my prerunner with snow so I was testing out the waters. VSC would kick in any time I gave it too much skinny pedal, especially going around turns. If I kept it slow and steady, even on inclines, it was quiet and it just kept truckin'.

Something I noticed was that the VSC light would blink sometimes, but only a couple times would the "grinding" noise from the engine occur that cut power. I'm guessing this is VSC warning you with the blinking light without actually engaging.

I was also surprised how VSC didn't always kick in when doing donuts. I read the user manual again and I didn't realize VSC took steering direction into consideration. I think when I was going in circles (bigger donuts) and the steering wheel was turned a certain way the VSC thought things were "okay". Maybe I wasn't giving enough gas.

The second time there was about 3 inches on the ground, below freezing. This time my route had more inclines. Vehicles were spinning all over the road, including the inclines. I kept the rpm's low in Drive (around 1k rpm), and the VSC din't kick in at all. I didn't even need to engage AutoLSD, which I was ready to on the inclines where I might not have gotten enough traction to get up the hill.

This might seem puny to guys further up north, but it was good to get a feel of whats possible. I'm hoping to get some more snow to push the limit again. Any comments/similar experiences welcome!

2. Dec 29, 2012 at 4:06 PM
    HomerLovesFire

HomerLovesFire Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hagerstown, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off-Road
    My PreRunner handles great in the snow. It's a double cab so the extra weight helps. The bottom line is with the v6 engine, a good set of tires, a little weight in the back, and a light foot on the pedal will get you anywhere you want to go.

nonohmic likes this.
  3. Dec 29, 2012 at 5:57 PM
    nobescare

nobescare Well-Known Member

Member:
    43.5448° N, 80.2482° W
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner 2WD
    she's all stock
    4 - 60 lb sand socks and good tires and knowing how to drive in the snow helps. currently running Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT's on the truck

4. Dec 29, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    DueNorth

DueNorth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 BSP TRD Sport DCSB 6sp
    Always good to get a feel of what your truck can do in the snow. Maybe bring some traction aids just in case the inevitable might happen. ;)

I find in 2wd, using the AutoLSD certainly helps while climbing my driveway when the snow starts getting deep or getting me started a little easier at a snow covered intersection.

5. Dec 29, 2012 at 7:15 PM
    prerunner11

prerunner11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2011 Magnetic Grey Prerunner Dbl Cab Sport
    Softopper
    Traction aids besides sand and a shovel?

How much snow is down for you to need AutoLSD to get started?

6. Dec 29, 2012 at 7:20 PM
    DueNorth

DueNorth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 BSP TRD Sport DCSB 6sp
    Waffle boards, pieces of carpet, extra lumber, hilift and chain and a snatch strap are a few extra things that may come in handy. Only if you feel like getting crazy tho.

Anything around a few inches of snow and i'll start hitting the ALSD button.

Products Discussed in

To Top