Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Looking to purchase

Old 12-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
DrJones is on a distinguished road
DrJones's Tacoma Gallery
Looking to purchase

Hey guys,

Been reading forums for a while as a 4Runner owner but I think it's time to move to a pick up. I'm a Carpenter and use my 4Runner to move my tools around (about 500 lbs on avg) and sometimes materials as well. It's a 99 SR5 V6 and I'm just eating the interior with all my stuff being taken in and out each day.
I'm looking at an 09 SR5 V6 Tacoma crew cab 6spd with 93k (maybe 50k miles for our American friends). Is there anything I need to specifically watch out for?
I know rust is the total killer, my 4Runner has been under the torch longer than creme brule. I've snapped more bolts than I know what to do with.
Thanks to all in advance for your help.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
Badgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Badgtho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Only advice I can offer is to take that 6 speed on a longggg test drive through each gear, up and down. I know people have had problems with the manual trans on these trucks.
You own an auto I assume??
Old 12-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
rawdog has a spectacular aura aboutrawdog has a spectacular aura about

Name: Steve
rawdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Only advice I can offer is to take that 6 speed on a longggg test drive through each gear, up and down. I know people have had problems with the manual trans on these trucks.
I have a manual and I love it
Old 12-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Badgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Badgtho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes I do. This is not subjective or personal preference, just my own personal observations of forum topics concerning the 6 speed manual.
Ok. You just proved tacoma world rule #1. You own X so Y is terrible.

Op. there are few issues with any transmission in these trucks (auto or manual)
Most every manual failure is due to user error. Most every auto failure is overheats and lack of maintenance.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:55 AM   #7
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgtho View Post

Op. there are few issues with any transmission in these trucks (auto or manual)
Most every manual failure is due to user error. Most every auto failure is overheats and lack of maintenance.
LOL dude, I'm not looking to argue with you, but I want to make sure the OP does his own research on some of the things I've seen on the forum about the manual.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:13 AM   #8
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good advice man, I have owned both the 6 speed manual and the 5 speed auto and 6 speed leaves a lot to be Desired. So like stated above take it for nice long test drive and if you can deal with the 6 speed then pull the trigger!
Old 12-31-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
SWEET! It only took you 14 days to learn rule #1. I take it you own a manual? Could one say this owner may be bias based on his previous post confirming he currently owns 3 manuals?

Quote:
Manual manual manual manual.
The auto is sloppy and boring. It also feels less torquey.

The taco is one of the only trucks that still offers a manual. Couple the to the fact that it offers a proper 6 speed and a short shift kit is offered seals the deal.

Toyotas were made to be manuals. Period.

Also had Lyme. Also had left knee issues. Did the clutch occasionally bother me? Yes. This was pre taco and with a vehicle that had a far heavier clutch.
Never ditched the stick. I own 3 manual transmissions right now. I really can't think of going any other way on this.
Yikes OP! Looks like the post Nazis are on the loose but, I'm gonna take a chance here (& just my personal experience)...I've owned several Tacomas & Toyota Pick Ups over the years in automatic and manual. The only one to ever have a transmission issue was a manual but, I like both...
Old 12-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
LOL dude, I'm not looking to argue with you, but I want to make sure the OP does his own research on some of the things I've seen on the forum about the manual.
Good advice. Wyatt has good things to say about the AT, btw.

"The auto trans in the 2nd gen Tacomas is by far a better transmission than the six or five speed Toyota makes now and can be shifted just like the manuals can and will hold what ever gear you select.

In the past I would say to [go] with a manual tranny but not anymore. The newer autos are just made too good to pass up now."
Old 12-31-2012, 07:33 AM   #11
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones View Post
Hey guys,

Been reading forums for a while as a 4Runner owner but I think it's time to move to a pick up. I'm a Carpenter and use my 4Runner to move my tools around (about 500 lbs on avg) and sometimes materials as well. It's a 99 SR5 V6 and I'm just eating the interior with all my stuff being taken in and out each day.
I'm looking at an 09 SR5 V6 Tacoma crew cab 6spd with 93k (maybe 50k miles for our American friends). Is there anything I need to specifically watch out for?
I know rust is the total killer, my 4Runner has been under the torch longer than creme brule. I've snapped more bolts than I know what to do with.
Thanks to all in advance for your help.
Welcome!

Are you looking at a long bed? I think that'd make a better work truck than a short bed. With a 500 lb load, don't be surprised if you need to replace the rear springs soon, if not immediately. I believe OZ-T uses his truck for work, and he might have some advice for you.

I used a Pickup for a work truck and was very happy with it. I hope you have a similar experience with whatever you end up with.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
DrJones is on a distinguished road
DrJones's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the replies!

I finally made it in to see the truck after getting no replies from the sales reps and it was sold when I got there. It was in pristine condition so that's a bummer. I'm still gonna keep my eyes open for another.

After reading replies and researching further into the tranny issues, I'm more open to an automatic if the price is right.

It's a shame that the rear springs are saggy under load. I had the same issue with my 4Runner, albeit it wasn't meant for what I'm using it for. So I put some Landcruiser springs in it which improved it's capability by far.

The only thing about the long box is right now I have very limited space in the driveway and I'm afraid a long box will take it over the limit. They are also hard to find around here as most here don't use trucks for work but rather play and don't need the utility as much.

Appreciate all the info.