After an exhaustive two day search, it seems that no one has yet asked for help on my particular bed bolt d-ring mod issue. Here are the facts:
When reinserting the bed bolts with d-rings, I tried to force the bolt so hard (thinking that it was rust not cross-threading) that now neither of the factory bolts can be tightened, and instead can be pushed into and pulled out of the factory holes by hand with ease.
This morning I took it to a local dealership and their diagnosis consisted of "yeah it's ****ed", so I spent the afternoon looking for grade 8 7/16 (because 1/2 won't fit) 6" bolts to replace the stock ones. I found them, but the 6" bolts only have threading from the tip to about an inch up, which would leave too much of a gap with a nut. I also picked up some 7/16 3.5'' bolts, but these would leave barely enough room to fit a nut on the underside. Access to the frame (without dismantling it) is via a hole that I can barely fit a nut into, a washer will not fit. So here are my options:
1) Figure out how to access the inside of the frame from underneath the truck and, using the 6" bolts fasten the D-Rings to the bed.
2) Use the 3.5" bolts to fasten the D-rings and hope that the minimal length on the underside and the lack of a washer can withstand the weight of whatever I tie down.
3) Find the best adhesive I can and, along with some solder, try and permanently attach the factory bolts back into their housing.
4) Abandon the D-Rings-connected-to-the-frame idea, use 3" bolts to reattach the bed to the frame in the front, and find another place to put the d-rings (I will be hauling around a 500 lb motorcycle regularly).
5) Attempt to rethread the holes to fit 1/2 bolt and hope nothing else goes awry.
Thoughts? By the way this is my first post but I've been around for about a month. I can take pictures, but I don't think they'd help explain any more.