Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2013 Bedrug Installed on Tacoma - Tacoma Fitment News

Old 12-30-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
Brian AutoCustoms is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
Brian AutoCustoms's Tacoma Gallery
2013 Bedrug Installed on Tacoma - Tacoma Fitment News

Bedrug made some minor changes to their 2013 Tacoma Bedrug part number for the first time since '05. For those of you that don't know, each Bedrug is custom made for each truck bed and designed to allow you to use all of the features that came with the truck. The Bedrug ships with pre-cut holes for an easy installation. However, we installed a Bedrug on another Tacoma and the pre-cut holes were a little big...not much, it still was a nice fit...but not perfect.

Bedrug is phasing out the old Tacoma part numbers and all 2nd gen Tacomas will receive the '13 part number by the end of the year. I'm sure they're just getting rid of their stock and will supersede the part number.

I have an '06 Tacoma, but I ordered the 2013 part number so that I could have the best fit possible. The only big difference was that we cut holes for the two cubby holes closest to the cab. It ended up with a perfect fit.

Here are some pics on the Bedrug Installation blog post. Our installation video will be done soon.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
Donkeythekidd is on a distinguished road
Donkeythekidd's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the post. I ordered a BRY05DCK bedrug a few weeks ago from my local shop for my 2008 Tacoma. I went to install it today and noticed there were no cubby hole cutouts and that the model number I received was BRY13DCK. I called up the place where I bought it and they said that when they type in the model number it automatically changes it to BRY13DCK. They tried calling Bedrug but they where already closed. So they said I could try back on Monday. After reading your post it doesnt look like I'll have to call back Monday. Were you able to cut out the cubby holes in the bedrug with out cutting the seams? Did everthing else line up perfectly.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
Yes, everything lines up perfectly and the Bedrug was very easy to cut. I wish I had our videographer edit that install video first so I could just show you. That should be available next week.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
FastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud of

FastEddie's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the info on the 2013 bedrug... i just bought one and did not realize that bedrug changed their model for all 2nd gens. when you installed the bedrug did you have to unbolt anything?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Yes. It installs under the tailgate cap and under the storage panels to give a very nice finished look. Those are held in with T30 Torx bolts so you'll want to have the right tools. You will not be unbolting the DeckRail System for this install.

Video coming soon.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
FastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud of

sweet, thanks. hopefully the video will be ready before i install it on weds.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #7
Watch the installation video here - '13 Bedrug Install on Tacoma.

As I stated above this is the '13 Bedrug for the '06 Tacoma so that I'd have a better fit on the storage pockets. The video is longer than it should be but you'll be able to see all of the crucial parts - cutting, removing bolts, etc.

If there is anything else out there you'd like to see...please let me know.

(Note: Check out how dirty the storage pockets are when they come out)
Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #8

Nice video. My bedrug actually came early today, so I installed it before I watched your video. My storage pockets were covered in dirt also. Nice method on the cutout for the bed cubbies. On the 2012, I have a tie down towards the front of the bed near the cab, so I removed those, but one of the torx bolts stripped and I cant get it out now. Any advice on how to remove a stripped torx bolt?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #9
You can get a bolt extractor tool from a hardware store but I usually just cut a + in the top with a Dremel and pull it out with a screwdriver.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
crabmanbc21 is on a distinguished road
crabmanbc21's Tacoma Gallery
Great video!!

Do you sell the Bedrug for a 2013 Tacoma 5' bed? I want to get one.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
Of course - shoot me a PM and I can hook you up.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #12
willee51 is on a distinguished road

Navy: 2nd Class PO
willee51's Tacoma Gallery
Talking 2013 Install

OK the Bedrug seems to use velcro to attach to the truck-bed!

The 2013 Tacoma truck bed is "composit", so does this composit affect the ahhesive of the velcro strips adhering to the truck bed????

Thanks, folks~!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
east is on a distinguished road
east's Tacoma Gallery
What was your total investment and are you satisfied with the product? I might be interested in this.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 02-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #14
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by willee51 View Post
OK the Bedrug seems to use velcro to attach to the truck-bed!

The 2013 Tacoma truck bed is "composit", so does this composit affect the ahhesive of the velcro strips adhering to the truck bed????
2005 and later all have the same bed material.

Yes, the composite bed is tricky... it has to be clean, and you have to be careful that what you use to clean it leaves no residue. The bed itself is pretty much impervious to most common chemicals (at least those that you'd want to use at home).
Old 02-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by east View Post
What was your total investment and are you satisfied with the product? I might be interested in this.

Thanks,

Eric
My total investment was just the price of the bedrug itself. The bedrug itself is decent, but it is definitely expensive.

The sample that bedrug sent me seemed a little thicker than the actual bedrug that I received (this may or may not be true, just my perception). I felt like the bedrug is a little flimsier than what I was expecting.

Also, installing the bedrug on my 2012, reinstalling the bed cubbies above the wheel well was a pain in the ass because the cubbies were originally held in place with a few clips and adhesive tape (this complaint is about Toyota's design, but it's something to take into account when purchasing the bedrug).

I got a bedrug for my truck because I sleep in the back of the truck sometimes and it is more comfortable than sleeping on the composite bed itself. Installation is relatively easy, visually the bedrug looks very nice, and the bedrug does keep a lot of things from sliding around or making a lot of noise in the bed. Overall I would say the bedrug is an okay investment, not the best, but definitely not the worst.

Here is a picture of what mine looks like installed:
Old 02-26-2014, 06:12 AM   #16
DanPaul is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
DanPaul's Tacoma Gallery
"...reinstalling the bed cubbies above the wheel well was a pain in the ass because the cubbies were originally held in place with a few clips and adhesive tape..."

The BedRug looks great! What did you end up doing with the cubbies? They look like they fit nicely back into place on your's, but I watched an install video where they seemed to just rest in the hole with no real attachment to the truck bed.
Thanks!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:42 AM   #17
spencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Spencer
spencer44306's Tacoma Gallery
It says that it is "battery acid and oil stain proof"

but is it"fish guts, deer blood, and the smells associated with that proof?"
Old 02-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPaul View Post
"...reinstalling the bed cubbies above the wheel well was a pain in the ass because the cubbies were originally held in place with a few clips and adhesive tape..."

The BedRug looks great! What did you end up doing with the cubbies? They look like they fit nicely back into place on your's, but I watched an install video where they seemed to just rest in the hole with no real attachment to the truck bed.
Thanks!
The cubbies just rest there, I broke a clip taking them out, so sometimes they pop out during normal driving. If I were to redo it, I would just let the bedrug cover the cubbies.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer44306 View Post
It says that it is "battery acid and oil stain proof"

but is it"fish guts, deer blood, and the smells associated with that proof?"
My dogs have puked a couple times on the rug and there are no stains or smells after cleaning with alcohol, but I cant say anything about fish guts or deer blood.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #20
DanPaul is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
DanPaul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddie View Post
The cubbies just rest there, I broke a clip taking them out, so sometimes they pop out during normal driving. If I were to redo it, I would just let the bedrug cover the cubbies.
I considered that actually, just hate to waste the space.
Great advice, thanks.