Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

It seems the TRD Sport is better......

Old 12-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
It seems the TRD Sport is better......

I have been thinking and that alone is new for me but...... am I wrong in thinking that the Sport is generally better in most low traction situations? The reason is think so is cause witb my OR 4x4 when I go 4H it still has Trac AND ALSD, wich has a big time fun killing engine managment included and in order to turn LSD off I have to push and hold the button to turn EVERYTHING off including Trac. So In the end im left with open diff in the rear.

Now along that same line of thinking. If I had a Sport and switched to 4H, and turned off everything I would still have the mechanical LSD in the rear and up front would be the same as an OR truck.

Now, I know with my OR package I have the locker and ATrac too..... but when is 4 low ever really useful for the typical low traction spots like snow, ice, mud ect....

It just seems the 4x4 Sport is more useful in day to day type low traction areas where as an Off Road may have extra gadgets to get ya out of a tight spot but how often are you actually that bad off to NEED it?

I typed this out on my phone so give me a break on spelling and the paragraphs.. lol
Old 12-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Yea a mechanical LSD is great for the 05-08 crowd but anything newer and we're left with "simulated" LSD. woohoo.

and of course

EVERYONE knows the Sports are better in all situations. lol especially blinding drivers with reflecting sunshine.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Wrong
Old 12-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'd take the locker for better traction in low traction situations. I do like the mechanical LSD from the older Tacomas but there's no replacement for a locker.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
There are Pro's and Con's to both and it basically boils down to what you want............. but I say OR FTW!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgroce View Post
There are Pro's and Con's to both and it basically boils down to what you want............. but I say OR FTW!
Not anymore. With the mechanical LSD, I'd agree with you but now that it's all electronic brake controlled ALSD and traction control, if you want the best from the factory, get the locker.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
SR5 and build it how you want it is better than both. So there. 4Hi and Compound Lo with Front/Rear locked on Rockjocks will get you your frickin' traction.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on what we are classifying as " low traction "

I would suggest both are equal in 4x4 on snow covered surfaces where a locker is of minimal to zero benefit

In low traction dry conditions , obviously a locker is better
Old 12-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Since DK hasn't said it yet ATRAC FTMFW.

Now end thread/ and it up
Old 12-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
Mudphish has a spectacular aura aboutMudphish has a spectacular aura about
Name: Andre
Mudphish's Tacoma Gallery
I guess if you don't live or operate in an area where the OR will benefit you then you would be correct. My advise to everyone is to purchase a vehicle that will be of good service to you, don't purchase the OR just to say you have one, buy it to use it and benefit from its options.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I'm indifferent. I have a sport with mechanical, and its not the best for low traction IMO. That being said, I think its benefits outweigh the cons.

Keep it going.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
high voltage taco has a spectacular aura abouthigh voltage taco has a spectacular aura about
high voltage taco's Tacoma Gallery
I HAD to use my elocker yesterday. I was trying to turn around on an old dead end road and I had to back down a hill that had a rut washed out just big enough for my back left tire to fit in. The hill was to steep to try taking off in high so I switched to low and let out on the clutch and I just spun. So I reached over and hit that magic button and came crawling out like I was on flat ground. My tundra would have just spun one front and one rear in that situation regardless of the lsd.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:23 AM   #15
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'd take the locker for better traction in low traction situations. I do like the mechanical LSD from the older Tacomas but there's no replacement for a locker.
Didnt know the only the older Tacos had to mechanical LS. I guess that WOULD change things. I am learning that with my OR 4H is almost useless with out turning off the traction nannies, but once I hold the button and turn em off im left with open diffs........ I think the onlyreal way to fix this is to do the locker mod...........
Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 AM   #16
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudFlap View Post
Didnt know the only the older Tacos had to mechanical LS. I guess that WOULD change things. I am learning that with my OR 4H is almost useless with out turning off the traction nannies, but once I hold the button and turn em off im left with open diffs........ I think the onlyreal way to fix this is to do the locker mod...........
you still have LSD with open diffs...
Old 12-31-2012, 06:47 AM   #17
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gylar View Post
EVERYONE knows the Sports are better in all situations. lol especially blinding drivers with reflecting sunshine.
And lets not forget the non functional hood scoop...
Old 12-31-2012, 07:05 AM   #18
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
I have been trying to sort it all out also. Dave K does explain it well. Other forums have topics / posts that mention a mechanical limited slip and the electronic (brake type) utilized together is the ultimate. This lets the electronics act similar to appying the parking brake to engage the mechanical LSD.

Northwest offroad shows two styles of mechanical LSD. One is the TORSEN style like what came in Tacomas prior to the electronic LSD. The other style is a true Detroit Locker with drive rings for each axle. From reading about these lockers, it sounds like for 4WD have an Elocker in the rear and a TORSEN front is the most versatile. It allows easy follow the line chosen steering while provide a lot of grip.

I have no hands on experience with either. I still wonder though which of the mechanical LSD shown is better and why. It sounds like the Toyota OEM TORSEN mechanical LSD have had there share of problems. Maybe aftermarket is better. Then again is the Detroit locker even stronger or more reliable?

Then you have clutch plate styles and No slip diffs that are not spools.

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/diff_LSD.php
or
http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/?href=[type+Function]&image_rotator=[object+Object]&Self=[object+Object]&onEnterFrame=[type+Function]

PK
Old 12-31-2012, 08:39 AM   #20
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK View Post
I have been trying to sort it all out also. Dave K does explain it well. Other forums have topics / posts that mention a mechanical limited slip and the electronic (brake type) utilized together is the ultimate. This lets the electronics act similar to appying the parking brake to engage the mechanical LSD.

Northwest offroad shows two styles of mechanical LSD. One is the TORSEN style like what came in Tacomas prior to the electronic LSD. The other style is a true Detroit Locker with drive rings for each axle. From reading about these lockers, it sounds like for 4WD have an Elocker in the rear and a TORSEN front is the most versatile. It allows easy follow the line chosen steering while provide a lot of grip.

I have no hands on experience with either. I still wonder though which of the mechanical LSD shown is better and why. It sounds like the Toyota OEM TORSEN mechanical LSD have had there share of problems. Maybe aftermarket is better. Then again is the Detroit locker even stronger or more reliable?

Then you have clutch plate styles and No slip diffs that are not spools.

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/diff_LSD.php
or
http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/?href=[type+Function]&image_rotator=[object+Object]&Self=[object+Object]&onEnterFrame=[type+Function]

PK
Thats incorrect. 2005-2008 Tacomas had two Limited Slip Differentials available from dealer, neither was Torsen like.
a. limited Slipp for factory TRD sport and Double Cab Long Bad was Hino 8 Inch Limited Slipp. It was manufactured in Hino factory in Japan and it is most heavy duty limited slip installed by Hino/Toyota. it has 8 clutch packs 4 on right axle and 4 on left axle.
b. TRD limited slipp made by Eaton, installed per request as Add ON. With 3 clutch packs installed centrally.

Hino limited slip is pretty much unbreakable, all it needs fresh oil every 12 000 miles to work and it hates Synthetic oils. That is the only problem with it.
Benefit: Unlike any other limited Slip differential it works with one tire in the air (like a locker). With 4 pinions its stronger then most lockers, its Auto so its always On, and allows speed difference between the wheels. Its made to power slower rotating wheel, instead of usual (slow the faster wheel) kind of what Lockright does.
Unfortunately Toyota decided to never sell this in North America which is stupid.