Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Looking to buy 2013 need help!

Old 12-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
taco713 is on a distinguished road
taco713's Tacoma Gallery
Looking to buy 2013 need help!

Hello everyone, I am new to the site. My father is looking to buy a 2013 tacoma and I need your advice. I dont know much about tacomas, I know alot about camaros/vettes.

My father basically wants these specs:

*Double cab
*4x4
*limited slip or locking diff
*leather heated seats
*Navigation/backup camera
*JBL stereo system
*he would RATHER NOT have the chrome rims that come w/ the limited package

What trim package should he get to get these features? I have read online you CAN get leather heated seats with "TRD Offroad Package". However, I cant find that as an option on toyota's website for that trim. He has been looking @ "Limited" ones but the dealers lowest price is $35K. Is this a fair price? Should he get the TRD Offroad Package instead? He doesnt like installing things himself (like installing heated seats himself). He just wants to buy a tacoma with all of this already done to it.

any advice is appreciated, thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Seems like your dad would probably be best in a 2013 4x4 TRD Offroad. It has the locking rear diff. and backup camera in its package. On top of that you can also find them with the JBL system and nav, which I believe is an extra ~$2000 package. Though, in my area I never came accross a TRD Offroad with the JBL package during my search for the truck I ended up with. Only sports seemed to come with the JBL system around here.

On the topic of leather seating. I have also heard people mention you can get leather seats as an option as well for the 2013 TRD's but haven't seen anyone that has actually said they got the factory leather. From what I heard, the 2013 Limited leather is actually some faux leather material that is just "ok". Seems like katzskins or some other leather company would be an easy fix to that issue (albeit at a ~$1000 pricetag or so)

The limited from what I saw actually has plastic coated chrome rims, on top of them being chrome (ick in my opinion as well) it has the chrome door handles and mirrors.

In the end, the TRD-OR 4x4 with JBL and nav (JBL and Nav=entune package) would probably be MSRP in the ballpark of $36k

EDIT: also if you haven't seen this thread, its definitely a good place to get an idea of what the endgame price would be for a 2013 Tacoma dependent on which options your dad would want. Just be mindful of where people are at, as there seems to be ~$1-2k differences in out the door prices from western and eastern USA. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...d-you-pay.html
Old 12-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
4X4 DC TRD Sport + Leather Package will give you all of the above w/o the premium JBL system but in my opinon the stock stereo system in the TRD Sport package is pretty kick@#% if you ask me
Old 12-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyasu45 View Post
4X4 DC TRD Sport + Leather Package will give you all of the above w/o the premium JBL system but in my opinon the stock stereo system in the TRD Sport package is pretty kick@#% if you ask me
except the locker
Old 12-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
taco713 is on a distinguished road
taco713's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdevTac View Post
Seems like your dad would probably be best in a 2013 4x4 TRD Offroad. It has the locking rear diff. and backup camera in its package. On top of that you can also find them with the JBL system and nav, which I believe is an extra ~$2000 package. Though, in my area I never came accross a TRD Offroad with the JBL package during my search for the truck I ended up with. Only sports seemed to come with the JBL system around here.

On the topic of leather seating. I have also heard people mention you can get leather seats as an option as well for the 2013 TRD's but haven't seen anyone that has actually said they got the factory leather. From what I heard, the 2013 Limited leather is actually some faux leather material that is just "ok". Seems like katzskins or some other leather company would be an easy fix to that issue (albeit at a ~$1000 pricetag or so)

The limited from what I saw actually has plastic coated chrome rims, on top of them being chrome (ick in my opinion as well) it has the chrome door handles and mirrors.

In the end, the TRD-OR 4x4 with JBL and nav (JBL and Nav=entune package) would probably be MSRP in the ballpark of $36k

EDIT: also if you haven't seen this thread, its definitely a good place to get an idea of what the endgame price would be for a 2013 Tacoma dependent on which options your dad would want. Just be mindful of where people are at, as there seems to be ~$1-2k differences in out the door prices from western and eastern USA. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...d-you-pay.html
thank you for the advice, i stumbled across that thread today as well. So, is there any way to get heated seats other than purchasing the "Limited"??

Also, we have a lot of winter snow storms up here in central NY, is a locker or limited slip "better" for this? The truck would not see much offroading,
Old 12-30-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
A locker won't help on road in the snow
Old 12-31-2012, 01:00 AM   #7
PhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: US Army Corps of Engineers - NADENMG
Name: Ron
PhantomVirus's Tacoma Gallery
A locker will help to get your rear out of the ditch you put yourself in - not much else.

< 5 MPH. I would go Sport to do it again - and I agree with your dad that chrome is HIDEOUS.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:17 AM   #8
Goof Ball
pra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
pra4sno's Tacoma Gallery
DC 4X4 SR5 and save a boatload of money.

-Can get 16 alloys wheels for a nominal amount.
-2013's come with good seats and he can have a set of premium set of seat covers professionally installed.
-No extra chrome
-Comes with backup camera.
-LSD rear but no locker.

The side effect is no JBL, but the SR5 can be purchased with the touch screen radio system, aux, etc. and the speakers upgraded cheaply. Its a great head unit.

Just the route I would take, although I'm a new guy and I am sure there are plenty of flaws in my plan. I just wouldn't be able to stomach the extra 8 grand for all of the other stuff you end up with on the Limited TRD's that your Dad doesn't sound like he needs.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:54 AM   #9
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
Online they don't allow you to add jbl and navi on a trd sport but it is available .
Go see your local dealer .

I paid 32500 for a truck with a 34700 Msrp. Just gotta try a few dealerships and be patient .
Old 12-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco713 View Post
thank you for the advice, i stumbled across that thread today as well. So, is there any way to get heated seats other than purchasing the "Limited"??

Also, we have a lot of winter snow storms up here in central NY, is a locker or limited slip "better" for this? The truck would not see much offroading,
Sport has heated front seats...
Old 01-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #11
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sport has heated front seats...
Are you sure , they told me leather was only available on the limited .
Old 01-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #12
Goof Ball
pra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
pra4sno's Tacoma Gallery
Leather = only limited. Sport MAY have the option to have heated cloth seats.

Again, an option that can be added aftermarket while saving a boatload of money...
Old 01-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
JimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud of
Name: Jim
JimBCa's Tacoma Gallery
I ended up with the TRD Offroad, seats, and features did it for me. I also used Costco to pull prices in my area so I could get an idea as to where a good starting point was for price.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Toy85 View Post
Heated leather has been available in the Canadian models since '08
Old 01-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pra4sno View Post
DC 4X4 SR5 and save a boatload of money.

-Can get 16 alloys wheels for a nominal amount.
-2013's come with good seats and he can have a set of premium set of seat covers professionally installed.
-No extra chrome
-Comes with backup camera.
-LSD rear but no locker.

The side effect is no JBL, but the SR5 can be purchased with the touch screen radio system, aux, etc. and the speakers upgraded cheaply. Its a great head unit.

Just the route I would take, although I'm a new guy and I am sure there are plenty of flaws in my plan. I just wouldn't be able to stomach the extra 8 grand for all of the other stuff you end up with on the Limited TRD's that your Dad doesn't sound like he needs.

Agreed!!

Why spend all that extra? I see a lot of people on here that buy the sports or off-roads and then Change everything that comes with that package!! So crazy! But if you have the money, don't plan on any mods and want the truck that costs the most just because, buy the sport or OR.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Toy85 View Post
u can get the sport with or without leather...
Old 01-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pra4sno View Post
Leather = only limited. Sport MAY have the option to have heated cloth seats.

Again, an option that can be added aftermarket while saving a boatload of money...
TRD Sport + Leather Package

http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/build...models-options
Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
u can get the sport with or without leather...
In Canada
Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
In Canada
Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #20

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Heated leather has been available in the Canadian models since '08
In Canada