1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone know anything about the KARR alarm?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Whitster, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Dec 30, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    Whitster

Whitster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Whit
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    '09 AC w/SR5 & TRD, 6' bed
    Just bought a nice '07 for my stepson. It has a KARR alarm system, in addition to the stock alarm, that I don't understand. The OEM system just makes noise this KARR supposedly disables the engine too and has some different honking. My '09 just has the usual one or two beeps when fob is pressed...this one is a different critter.

After I got it home I discovered the keys work fine in the ignition but don't turn/unlock the doors. When locked there is a pretty intense blue flashing LED coming from the module under the dash.

The fob unlocks/locks the doors fine but I'd still like to have the keys work in case the fob's battery dies, etc.

There's a couple little cards that came with the manual explaining how to put the system in the 'valet' mode but that's about it.

Does this KARR system typically override the mechanical function of the door locks, would the installation actually change the locks?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Dec 30, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    Whitster

Member:
    First Name:
    Whit
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    Glad to hear it, but my concern is...does it interfere with the mechanical lock operation on the doors??

3. Dec 31, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    Whitster

Member:
    First Name:
    Whit
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    Again...

"After I got it home I discovered the keys work fine in the ignition but don't turn/unlock the doors. When locked there is a pretty intense blue flashing LED coming from the module under the dash.

The fob unlocks/locks the doors fine but I'd still like to have the keys work in case the fob's battery dies, etc.

There's a couple little cards that came with the manual explaining how to put the system in the 'valet' mode but that's about it.

Does this KARR system typically override the mechanical function of the door locks, would the installation actually change the locks?"

4. Dec 31, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    TACO1267

TACO1267 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Manhattan Beach
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4x4 DCSB
    I opted for the Karr alarm as well. Would like to know exactly how it differs from the stock setup or immobilizer that the truck came with. Initially the finance guy wanted $795.00 for it and I laughed. He came down to $250 which I thought was ok for an additional safety system. Is there any additional protection?? Anyone have any insight on the Karr? Thanks

5. Dec 31, 2012 at 12:13 PM
    Whitster

Member:
    First Name:
    Whit
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    Well I got a little education today...

I went to the dealer and told the used car manager about the keys not working in the doors.

He told me the previous owner probably always used the fob to lock/unlock the doors and the mechanical locks got stiff and sort of 'froze up' due to disuse over the years. (He thought there was a TSB out on this)

I puffed some powdered graphite into the keyway and while the key did go in and out easier the lock was still resistant to turning, but finally did turn a bit. (I was just afraid I might break the key off in the lock before.) The tumblers were free enough but the turning mechanism was still 'froze up'.

I removed the black plastic plug from the back edge of the doors. This gave me access to the lock body and linkage. I then sprayed some LPS greaseless lubricant onto the lock cylinder's body and linkage and now the locks work fine...free as a bird...ta-daa

;->

6. Jan 1, 2013 at 6:30 AM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    Spray some wd40 inside the keyhole with the little red straw that comes with it, wait a couple mins, then try the key again. Should free it right up. Worked on my 89 pathfinder I haven't used the key in for like 10 years :)

Products Discussed in

To Top