Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone know anything about the KARR alarm?

Old 12-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Whitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud of

Name: Whit
Whitster's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know anything about the KARR alarm?

Just bought a nice '07 for my stepson. It has a KARR alarm system, in addition to the stock alarm, that I don't understand. The OEM system just makes noise this KARR supposedly disables the engine too and has some different honking. My '09 just has the usual one or two beeps when fob is pressed...this one is a different critter.

After I got it home I discovered the keys work fine in the ignition but don't turn/unlock the doors. When locked there is a pretty intense blue flashing LED coming from the module under the dash.

The fob unlocks/locks the doors fine but I'd still like to have the keys work in case the fob's battery dies, etc.

There's a couple little cards that came with the manual explaining how to put the system in the 'valet' mode but that's about it.

Does this KARR system typically override the mechanical function of the door locks, would the installation actually change the locks?

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
There is no stock alarm . I have a karr alarm on my work truck and it works fine . It opens and locks doors with the remote .
Old 12-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Whitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
There is no stock alarm . I have a karr alarm on my work truck and it works fine . It opens and locks doors with the remote .
Glad to hear it, but my concern is...does it interfere with the mechanical lock operation on the doors??
Old 12-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
It should open and lock doors normally like a keyless entry with alarm .
Old 12-31-2012, 07:14 AM   #5

Again...

"After I got it home I discovered the keys work fine in the ignition but don't turn/unlock the doors. When locked there is a pretty intense blue flashing LED coming from the module under the dash.

The fob unlocks/locks the doors fine but I'd still like to have the keys work in case the fob's battery dies, etc.

There's a couple little cards that came with the manual explaining how to put the system in the 'valet' mode but that's about it.

Does this KARR system typically override the mechanical function of the door locks, would the installation actually change the locks?"
Old 12-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
TACO1267 is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
TACO1267's Tacoma Gallery
I opted for the Karr alarm as well. Would like to know exactly how it differs from the stock setup or immobilizer that the truck came with. Initially the finance guy wanted $795.00 for it and I laughed. He came down to $250 which I thought was ok for an additional safety system. Is there any additional protection?? Anyone have any insight on the Karr? Thanks
Old 12-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #7

Trouble was not KARR related...but fixed now.

Well I got a little education today...

I went to the dealer and told the used car manager about the keys not working in the doors.

He told me the previous owner probably always used the fob to lock/unlock the doors and the mechanical locks got stiff and sort of 'froze up' due to disuse over the years. (He thought there was a TSB out on this)

I puffed some powdered graphite into the keyway and while the key did go in and out easier the lock was still resistant to turning, but finally did turn a bit. (I was just afraid I might break the key off in the lock before.) The tumblers were free enough but the turning mechanism was still 'froze up'.

I removed the black plastic plug from the back edge of the doors. This gave me access to the lock body and linkage. I then sprayed some LPS greaseless lubricant onto the lock cylinder's body and linkage and now the locks work fine...free as a bird...ta-daa

;->
Old 01-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #8
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Spray some wd40 inside the keyhole with the little red straw that comes with it, wait a couple mins, then try the key again. Should free it right up. Worked on my 89 pathfinder I haven't used the key in for like 10 years