1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Centrics Or Brembo Rotors?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by WATacoRider, Dec 30, 2012.

?

Which?

1. Brembo

36 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. Centric

14 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. Other

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  1. Dec 30, 2012 at 10:58 PM
    WATacoRider

WATacoRider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    The Brembos are a little bit more, but not much. Which is the better quality rotor? Hell, should I throw OEM in there? But I have no idea what they cost.

Both rotors are now made in China. Brembo appears to be a bigger name, but that doesn't mean it's better.... or does it? :cool:

2. Dec 31, 2012 at 6:30 AM
    aw113sgte

aw113sgte Well-Known Member

Member:
    Go with OEM, not worth the risk of the aftermarket.

3. Dec 31, 2012 at 6:31 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    wat. o_O?

4. Dec 31, 2012 at 6:50 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Because Toyota has already done the research and put the BEST products on our trucks and nothing new/better has come out in the last 7 years (My trucks is 2006)

Sarcasm

5. Dec 31, 2012 at 6:53 AM
    diesel30

diesel30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    columbus ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 dbl cab long bed trd sport 4x4 mag gray
    carbon fiber blacked out grill ddm tuning hid kit 35w/55w bi-xenon kit ddm tuning hid fog light kit 35w m/t classic lock blacks fierce attitudes 285/70/17 5100's installed on front 2.5" rear TSB done masterlock tailgate lock 35% front window tint scangaugeII duplicolor red caliper paint
    brembos are about as good as it gets. I had them on a civic si back in the day and got over 80k out of a set with no warping. Stick to factory brake pads or you'll risk the possibility of having squeaky brakes. aftermarket pads ( napa, autozone, etc.) are so hard they will have a grinding feel and tend to squeal a bit and are not good for a high quality rotor.

6. Dec 31, 2012 at 7:07 AM
    Ga tacoguy

Ga tacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Augusta Ga.
    Vehicle:
    Extended cab Base model 4 cyl
    Tailgate mod, horn mod,storage door mod
    ;) I have the opinion that the aftermarket makes a better brake rotor.The O.E. has limitations concerning weight from the factory. Toyota makes every item on the truck as light as possible to save weight for the gas mileage. This is done by all the manufators to meet the EPA standards, and if you examine brake rotors from 10years ago to the present and you would see the weight and thickness of the brake rotors now are thinner and lighter.
    The aftermarket has no restrictions on weight, so the aftermarket brake rotor is thicker and stronger. The Brembo brake rotor is a known company with a large research and developement dept., so the items they sell are a good quality.GoodLuck.

7. Dec 31, 2012 at 7:31 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Guess Op needs to ask himself if they care about weight/what use his truck has, i.e. mall crawling, street cruising, rock crawling. How much armor/sliders/bigger tires/tools, he has on it.

8. Jan 1, 2013 at 6:20 AM
    aw113sgte

aw113sgte Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brembo is not the best just because it has the name Brembo. Our rotors work great and there are few instances of issues. Seems like a clear cut case of don't try to fix what's not broken.
    Rotors are more than what you can see visually, even if they are thicker, is the material of the same or better quality? Are they more or less prone to warping? Are they turned to the same tolerance?
    Ask yourself what is the weakness of the factory rotors and do you have any evidence the aftermarket ones can improve on this?

9. Jan 1, 2013 at 8:16 AM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    If Brembo is made in China now I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft. pole. BUT I wonder, since China is so apt to rip off ANYTHING, if these rotors are not sanctioned by BrBo.

10. Jun 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I put Brembo cross drilled rotors on my Tahoe. Nothing special. I got them for a cheap price.

11. Jun 14, 2013 at 2:09 PM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road

Who says? Brembo? Fanboys? Frankly I have never once warped a factory rotor and I have owned many cars for 32 years. Brembo may be an adequate brake but there is no supporting studies that show them to be the best. Being made in China alone would show evidence they are not the best by a long shot.

12. Sep 10, 2013 at 2:00 PM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    Being made in China is a weak excuse on reasoning to buy from X or Y just because of where it was made. China has the space to put the big production factories in a cost effiecent way(for the company).

The truth is, Metal processing is not what it used to be, and with the supply and demand of "today" it's difficult to meet the demand with the processing time it takes to make a quality part.

In order to stay ahead, lots of companies do their work over there because they can make it in larger quanties fast.

-----

I have Brembo blanks on my DD and they still look new 3 years and 40k miles later.

I bet if you poked around your truck, you'd find a ton of it with labels saying "Made in China."

13. Sep 10, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    Zimaura

Zimaura Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nj
    San jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 Double Cab. level Kit, 33 inch BFGs
    Level Kit, 16inch Moto Metals, 33 BFGs, Flowmaster, tinted taillights, silver billet grills
    My factory rotors had warped after 40k didnt want to get them resurfaced or turned i think they are called. Just went ahead and got Brembo blanks without thinking much. Now my truck has 80k on it, no warping no problems... never looked back..
    :)

Camel51 likes this.
  14. Sep 10, 2013 at 5:44 PM
    Hans Moleman

Hans Moleman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2023 F-150 Powerboost
    OEM is not always the best. My OEM rotors warped at 25k miles.

The Brembo blanks I have are made in Brazil. I don't know how much better or worse than the Chinese ones.

15. Oct 22, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    Fiolo

Fiolo Senior member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, 2022 Tacoma, 2019 L5P Duramax
    Lost track many mods ago
    I like brembos, haven't had any problems with them

16. Oct 22, 2013 at 6:34 PM
    10splaya22

10splaya22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Blacksburg, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    Where did you get this info?

And FYI brake rotors on street cars/trucks don't warp, its due to uneven pad deposits on the brake rotor.

Here is a very good article that all of you should read: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

brich999 likes this.
  17. Oct 22, 2013 at 6:35 PM
    10splaya22

10splaya22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Blacksburg, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    No reason to waste money on brembos, you are just paying for the name.

18. Oct 22, 2013 at 6:40 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    Brembo is a name brand, but they don't actually "produce" anything anymore.

One of the most popular brake rotor selections in the STi world is the NAPA rotor, interestingly enough.

If I was buying a Brembo rotor, I'd buy it from a reputable source (ie Tire Rack).

As far as upgrades, don't forget as long as you can engage ABS, actually upgrading your system isn't necessary unless you're hard enough on the brakes to have fade issues.

19. Oct 22, 2013 at 6:45 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Centric has a performance brand called "Stoptech". You may have heard of it.

Brembo OE replacement rotors are just that, nothing special. In some cases they actually rust more easily than OEM in the hat area.

20. Oct 23, 2013 at 6:15 AM
    coolreed

coolreed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reed
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
    Goodyear Wrangler Dura Track Pro Tires, K&N Cold Air Intake, Pedal Commander.
    I installed Stoptech cross-drilled slotted Rotors on my Taco and I am very happy with them. Brembo makes a good product too. I would recommend this upgrade to your Taco's brake system. Easy installation.

Products Discussed in

To Top