Notices

Centrics Or Brembo Rotors?

View Poll Results: Which?
Brembo 24 68.57%
Centric 5 14.29%
Other 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
WATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the rough
WATacoRider's Tacoma Gallery
Centrics Or Brembo Rotors?

The Brembos are a little bit more, but not much. Which is the better quality rotor? Hell, should I throw OEM in there? But I have no idea what they cost.

Both rotors are now made in China. Brembo appears to be a bigger name, but that doesn't mean it's better.... or does it?
Old 12-31-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
aw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to behold
aw113sgte's Tacoma Gallery
Go with OEM, not worth the risk of the aftermarket.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw113sgte View Post
Go with OEM, not worth the risk of the aftermarket.
Because Toyota has already done the research and put the BEST products on our trucks and nothing new/better has come out in the last 7 years (My trucks is 2006)

Sarcasm
Old 12-31-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
diesel30 is on a distinguished road

diesel30's Tacoma Gallery
brembos are about as good as it gets. I had them on a civic si back in the day and got over 80k out of a set with no warping. Stick to factory brake pads or you'll risk the possibility of having squeaky brakes. aftermarket pads ( napa, autozone, etc.) are so hard they will have a grinding feel and tend to squeal a bit and are not good for a high quality rotor.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
Ga tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudy
Ga tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
I have the opinion that the aftermarket makes a better brake rotor.The O.E. has limitations concerning weight from the factory. Toyota makes every item on the truck as light as possible to save weight for the gas mileage. This is done by all the manufators to meet the EPA standards, and if you examine brake rotors from 10years ago to the present and you would see the weight and thickness of the brake rotors now are thinner and lighter.
The aftermarket has no restrictions on weight, so the aftermarket brake rotor is thicker and stronger. The Brembo brake rotor is a known company with a large research and developement dept., so the items they sell are a good quality.GoodLuck.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga tacoguy View Post
I have the opinion that the aftermarket makes a better brake rotor.The O.E. has limitations concerning weight from the factory. Toyota makes every item on the truck as light as possible to save weight for the gas mileage. This is done by all the manufators to meet the EPA standards, and if you examine brake rotors from 10years ago to the present and you would see the weight and thickness of the brake rotors now are thinner and lighter.
The aftermarket has no restrictions on weight, so the aftermarket brake rotor is thicker and stronger. The Brembo brake rotor is a known company with a large research and developement dept., so the items they sell are a good quality.GoodLuck.
Guess Op needs to ask himself if they care about weight/what use his truck has, i.e. mall crawling, street cruising, rock crawling. How much armor/sliders/bigger tires/tools, he has on it.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
aw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to behold
aw113sgte's Tacoma Gallery
Brembo is not the best just because it has the name Brembo. Our rotors work great and there are few instances of issues. Seems like a clear cut case of don't try to fix what's not broken.
Rotors are more than what you can see visually, even if they are thicker, is the material of the same or better quality? Are they more or less prone to warping? Are they turned to the same tolerance?
Ask yourself what is the weakness of the factory rotors and do you have any evidence the aftermarket ones can improve on this?
Old 01-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
cruxofthebisquit is on a distinguished road

Name: John
cruxofthebisquit's Tacoma Gallery
If Brembo is made in China now I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft. pole. BUT I wonder, since China is so apt to rip off ANYTHING, if these rotors are not sanctioned by BrBo.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I put Brembo cross drilled rotors on my Tahoe. Nothing special. I got them for a cheap price.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel30 View Post
brembos are about as good as it gets.

Who says? Brembo? Fanboys? Frankly I have never once warped a factory rotor and I have owned many cars for 32 years. Brembo may be an adequate brake but there is no supporting studies that show them to be the best. Being made in China alone would show evidence they are not the best by a long shot.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
a name known to all
luka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud of
Air Force: Jet Mech / Metals Tech
Name: Mike
luka's Tacoma Gallery
Being made in China is a weak excuse on reasoning to buy from X or Y just because of where it was made. China has the space to put the big production factories in a cost effiecent way(for the company).

The truth is, Metal processing is not what it used to be, and with the supply and demand of "today" it's difficult to meet the demand with the processing time it takes to make a quality part.

In order to stay ahead, lots of companies do their work over there because they can make it in larger quanties fast.

-----

I have Brembo blanks on my DD and they still look new 3 years and 40k miles later.

I bet if you poked around your truck, you'd find a ton of it with labels saying "Made in China."
Old 09-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #13
Zimaura is on a distinguished road

Name: Nj
Zimaura's Tacoma Gallery
My factory rotors had warped after 40k didnt want to get them resurfaced or turned i think they are called. Just went ahead and got Brembo blanks without thinking much. Now my truck has 80k on it, no warping no problems... never looked back..
Old 09-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
Hans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hans Moleman's Tacoma Gallery
OEM is not always the best. My OEM rotors warped at 25k miles.

The Brembo blanks I have are made in Brazil. I don't know how much better or worse than the Chinese ones.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #15
Fiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
Fiolo's Tacoma Gallery
I like brembos, haven't had any problems with them
Old 10-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #16
10splaya22 is on a distinguished road

Name: Drew
10splaya22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga tacoguy View Post
Where did you get this info?

And FYI brake rotors on street cars/trucks don't warp, its due to uneven pad deposits on the brake rotor.

Here is a very good article that all of you should read: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
Old 10-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #17
10splaya22 is on a distinguished road

Name: Drew
10splaya22's Tacoma Gallery
No reason to waste money on brembos, you are just paying for the name.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #18
MikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
Brembo is a name brand, but they don't actually "produce" anything anymore.

One of the most popular brake rotor selections in the STi world is the NAPA rotor, interestingly enough.

If I was buying a Brembo rotor, I'd buy it from a reputable source (ie Tire Rack).

As far as upgrades, don't forget as long as you can engage ABS, actually upgrading your system isn't necessary unless you're hard enough on the brakes to have fade issues.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #19
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Centric has a performance brand called "Stoptech". You may have heard of it.

Brembo OE replacement rotors are just that, nothing special. In some cases they actually rust more easily than OEM in the hat area.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #20
coolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of light

coolreed's Tacoma Gallery
Stoptech Rotors

I installed Stoptech cross-drilled slotted Rotors on my Taco and I am very happy with them. Brembo makes a good product too. I would recommend this upgrade to your Taco's brake system. Easy installation.