1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 reverse camera to non-jbl dash display

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jaymay82, Dec 31, 2012.

1. May 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    blackened302

blackened302 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma TX Edition
  2. Jun 27, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    DNA

DNA Member

Member:
    For the Ebay harness, I would think it would display the guidelines ? I had a Ford that I added a aftermarket head unit and wired in a factory camera and it looked the same, I am guessing the feed for the guidelines comes from the camera ? Can anyone vouch for this ?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Jun 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM
    DNA

DNA Member

Member:
    I also read that some radios have the ability to turn the guidelines on and off, maybe once you hook up the harness the radio will give the option ?

4. Jun 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM
    DNA

DNA Member

Member:
    Also on a side note, does anyone know where or have the radio owners manual for our trucks ? Not sure if panasonic has it posted somewhere so we could see all the options available if there are any special features to turn on and off.

5. Jun 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM
    blackened302

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma TX Edition
    I ended up getting the eBay harness and using it w/the OEM camera. Harness installed in about 15 minutes, great instructions, everything worked. I have no guidelines, though. I'll check to see if there is a setting via the 2013 non-JBL radio.

6. Jun 28, 2013 at 2:40 PM
    DNA

DNA Member

Member:
    blackened,
    Hey I ordered the harness as well. I am ok with out the guidelines for now, but sure would be nice if there was a setting or a way to get a software update on the non jbl radio to allow this feature and others.

7. Jul 1, 2013 at 4:36 AM
    blackened302

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma TX Edition
    Haven't had a chance to check the settings menu, been out of town. Will check and report asap.

8. Jul 20, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    neh500

neh500 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prerunner
    Blackened, do you also have the power lcd rearview mirror? I'm looking at buying the same harness and oem camera to use with the radio. I want to know if the camera will have power from somewhere since I don't have the power mirror that I though was the power source for the camera.

9. Jul 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    blackened302

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma TX Edition
    I do not have the LCD mirror. My truck was prewired for the camera. Also, I've found not settings for the guides, wish I could somehow get them.

10. Jul 23, 2013 at 11:59 PM
    tillithz

tillithz Active Member

Member:
    Oakland
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner Sport
    Viper 5704 Tonneau Cover Rear view camera in Stock Head Unit
    OK forgive me if this was FULLY covered elsewhere (if even in this thread) but I've gone and read and assembled a bunch of info from various threads....

Also sorry if what I read and assembled here was someone elses find originally I just wasnt able to find ALL the info in one thread (one thread might talk about the OEM backup camera pin out, another thread explained the non jbl Head unit pinout, while yet another discussed integrating non OEM cameras)

My new 2013 Toyota Tacoma with backup camera (in Rear View Mirror) now displays the backup camera video on the non JBL (non Navi) head unit display.

Heres how you do it.

****its late so forgive mis colored or technical speak (I will correct it when I see it) Also ALWAYS verify wiring with a multimeter.

I identified the 4 pins from unused harness plug on back of non JBL headunit
    - pin 8 (video pos/center) and pin 16 (neg/shielding) are video connection (to be connected to the OEM backup camera)
    - pin 7 (pos 6vdc) for OEM camera power and pin 15 (neg) for OEM camera power.
    see picture from http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/DinaxMaxxum/media/1_zps7137e47e.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5 which is from thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/255685-2013-reverse-camera-non-jbl-dash-display-2.html Thanks DinaxMaxxum.

I took pin headers connectors from some old electronics (optical drive cabling work well) I removed them from the harness they came in and put heat shrink tubing on each one. Then plugged them in accordingly to the back of the head unit.

I then took a single pin header connector and inserted into the #2 pin identified as reverse input to the head unit. pictured in above link.

I then extended the wiring about 30 inches long and routed to the fuse box by the drivers left knee. pictured http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/19583/cat/500 from thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/30889-oem-camera-connection-below-dash.html Thanks DNahas.

the other two wires in the 4 pin connector identified by DNahas is the power (6vdc) for the OEM backup camera. So simply unplug the 4 pin connector and remove leave it unplugged for good. This will keep video quality as you wont be splitting the video to two displays. The black is +6vdc, and the white is - ground. Connect pin 7 from above to the black, and pin 15 to the white. Connect the red (center conductor of video) to pin 8 and the shielding of video to pin 16. Check this pic for reference http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/19580/cat/500 AGAIN, PLEASE USE MULTIMETER TO VERIFY POLARITY AND VOLTAGE PRIOR TO CONNECTING ANYTHING. just to confirm what I described is accurate.

Then take the reverse from the upper connector, pictured here http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/30889-oem-camera-connection-below-dash.html#post480660 Thanks kmartshopper, and connect to the #2 pin from earlier on the back of the head unit.

By doing it this way, you take the video from the mirror and put on the head units display. You also get past the fact that the head unit checks for video on pins #8 and #16 because the 6vdc from the head unit powers the camera upon starting the truck. NO relays needed. even better NO CUTTING!

Whats even more enjoyable is that now that you have left the camera harness unplugged the mirror doesnt split the image and thus you would think that theres a blue or black screen square on the mirror during backup...........NOPE, it goes blue for a couple seconds but then the display and all displayed info shut off and the mirror is .. well a mirror in full. Theres no grid marker lines as that is something on the mirror itself.

justchil likes this.
  11. Jul 24, 2013 at 2:24 PM
    deepcoma

deepcoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of the rising sun
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Seems more complicated than I feel comfortable with doing myself but I am pleased to see someone conquered this! Any pics of the camera image in the head unit?

Good work!!

12. Jul 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    tillithz

tillithz Active Member

Member:
    Oakland
    Vehicle:
    Honestly, it was more complicated gathering the info. you can simply do it with 5 wire leads that have molex pins crimped on them, taking note of which pins are which and t-taps for the camera/reverse harness connections on driver side.

I can take pics later and post. enjoy, ty

13. Jul 24, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    sounds pretty straight forward actually. good job sir :thumbsup:

14. Jul 24, 2013 at 4:01 PM
    tillithz

tillithz Active Member

Member:
    Oakland
    Vehicle:
    heres a pic, standard quality but much more comfortable to use now that the image is a reasonable size.... tsk tsk toyota.

buINDash.jpg

15. Jul 24, 2013 at 9:56 PM
    JRFugitt

JRFugitt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '13 PreRunner V6
    Sweet, install pics please!

16. Aug 12, 2013 at 10:37 AM
    taylorsTaco

taylorsTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB - Silver
    westin bull bar/nerf bar (black), Ultra Maverick 17x8 10mm offset, Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs 265/70/17
    Anyone have luck applying similar skills to getting a tv tuner or dvd player/ or nav connected to the non nav HU?

17. Aug 12, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    blackened302

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma TX Edition
  18. Aug 12, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    tillithz

tillithz Active Member

Member:
    Oakland
    Vehicle:
    You are right. but what fun is it plugging stuff in and off and running with no understanding of how it works? personally I like doing my own mods and since I knew it was possible with fragmented threads all over the place to actually put it down in one post of how to connect the FACTORY camera to a FACTORY head unit was rewarding.

to each their own though and if you rather buy the cable off ebay, go for it. enjoy....

miketyler likes this.
  19. Aug 12, 2013 at 6:44 PM
    QTacoma

QTacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Q
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner LB
    hey tillithz, does it display on the rear view mirror and the non jbl audio radio screen at the same time now or just the audio radio screen?

20. Aug 12, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    tillithz

tillithz Active Member

Member:
    Oakland
    Vehicle:
    It can if you plug in the connector id'd above on the left side of the fuse box. but I left it unplugged so that quality wont be compromised when splitting a composite video connection.... rear view mirror is just plain too small anyways... it goes blue for 2 seconds and then shuts off so you have FULL use of the rear view mirror as a mirror.

Products Discussed in

To Top