1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Unsettling

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Lwolf777, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Dec 31, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    Lwolf777

Lwolf777 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pj
    Brooklyn
    Vehicle:
    Dbl cab. SR5, Barcelona red
    Hi guys,new here, don't have much experience with tacoma need yr help, Thinking of buying a 13 Tacoma have read on the board many issues n problems with this truck, my question is I have several issues n leak issues with my jeep.not sure if I'm up to trading in one problem for a new one with the same issues. Iyo, what are the issues that are common with the 13's, or many guys just over reacting with the issues, thanks in advance

2. Dec 31, 2012 at 3:02 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Really?

I don't want to think you are trolling but, why are you asking what types of troubles (on 2013s no less) if you've already read about the problems...

3. Dec 31, 2012 at 3:05 PM
    Lwolf777

Lwolf777 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pj
    Brooklyn
    Vehicle:
    Dbl cab. SR5, Barcelona red
    Not trolling at all. Just read a bunch of posts with leak , noise n various other issues, seems a lot of unhappy campers.

4. Dec 31, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Keep in mind that there are two kinds of people who participate in online forums:

1 - Enthusiasts who are into modding their vehicles, participating in trips and get togethers and other social events

2 - People who are searching for a solution to a problem.

TacomaWorld has 66,000 registered members.
    Of those, 45,000 have fewer than 10 posts.

Of the group #1 above, many drive their trucks very hard off road.

But still... the sample on this, or any forum, is only 50-100,000 people.
    Toyota has sold MILLIONS of vehicles.

People who DON'T have problems, generally don't get on forums and create multiple threads telling people how they don't have a problem.
    But people who do have problems often create more than one thread on more than one forum, and they inject their problem into threads started by others.

These are good trucks.
    Every now and then, a problem slips by QC.

But they are trucks.
    They are not quiet.
    They do not have a lot of sound insulation, so road noise can be an issue if you are expecting a passenger car style comfort level.

5. Dec 31, 2012 at 3:35 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    Seems like they added some insulation but i doubt it but my 13' is way more quiet then my previous 11' and definitly my 05'. I dont have as much wind or road noise as I use to. To the OP they are very reliable trucks every manufacture has some sort of issues but that comes with the purchase.

6. Dec 31, 2012 at 3:41 PM
    JimBCa

JimBCa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Bay Area California
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Build Duratrac 265/75R16 Load rated E BAMF Rock Sliders, Pelfreybilt Front bumper and skid plates (3) Pro Runner front and rear shocks,Add-A-Leaf springs ATO (Armor Tech Offroad) hilift mounts, Famous Fabrication cb antenna/flag mount CoverKing Tactical seat covers, Flyzeye dash-light ARE Shell, backup light mod SumoSprings and Stops
    Totally basing an opinion as said above about a product may or may not be the right choice. It's like when I go out to eat, and check a website for reviews. I want to eat, not listen to somebody complain that the place did'nt have enough parking, or the decor was dated.

My last was a GMC 3/4 T 4x4. based on reviews and later customer feedback, I probably would niot have purchased. But,,,, i got 300,000 miles on it before someone hit me from behind at 65.

They are all going to have some kind of issues, and rare is one that never does. Based on my 2012 so far, with 10,000 miles, i am very very happy with the build and quality.

This will be my last car purchase I make, and researched the heck out of it and other makes/models. The more i looked, the more I found out.

Bottom line, would i buy it again, YES :)

7. Dec 31, 2012 at 3:43 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    from what i know, all you need to make sure of is that you get the stouter leaf pack. other than that, they are worry free vehicles. and thats coming from a guy who drives that "crappy, clutch-eating, synchro-thrashing 6-speed" :)

8. Dec 31, 2012 at 3:50 PM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    And to add to Rich's post, so much is subjective to the individual who's online complaining about issues with their truck. I've read many posts from owners not liking the amount of road noise in these rigs. Personally, I've thought that my truck was very quiet inside from day one. This may be due to the fact that my last vehicle was a softtop Wrangler, or it could just be that I'm going deaf. :rolleyes:

9. Dec 31, 2012 at 4:02 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    They also ride a bit harsh unladen. And they get mediocre gas mileage. And they are vulnerable to crosswinds. And other truck things.

Best response to the thread so far. People often seem to fail to recognize the difference between trucks and cars. Good luck hauling 1000lbs of shit or towing a camper with your car.

10. Dec 31, 2012 at 4:05 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    That's it with me.

I don't notice the noise when driving, but I do have a hard time carrying on a conversation, and I do notice some loss of high frequency hearing after a few hours on the road at highway speeds.

11. Dec 31, 2012 at 4:12 PM
    P9HST2

P9HST2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM AC TRD OR
    WeatherTech floor liners, tailgate hoseclamp, Famous Fab sliders, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Icon "3T" suspension.
    If you go to any vehicle forum you will see the same thing. All vehicles have something to complain about. My 2011 F150 had a lot of wind noise. Go to the F150 forums and you'll see threads about it just like the ones here. The F150 floor vent on the driver's side will freeze your right foot when the AC is on and cook it when the heat is on. It blows right on your foot and lots of F150 users post about it. My Tacoma doesn't have wind noise and it doesn't cook or freeze on my foot! :D

12. Dec 31, 2012 at 8:06 PM
    crazyasu45

crazyasu45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB 4X4 TRD SPORT
    3" SUSPENSION LIFT
    I dont know about other people but here are my issues on my 1 month old 2013...Front end started squeaking after lift was installed...just requires a little lube or something no big deal...blown left speaker...noticed it when i drove it off the lot...wiper motors make a whining sound from time to time...and it has had a couple instances when it sits over night in cold weather where the engine sputters turning over and I have to stop cranking and give it a sec...I also heard from a customer of mine Toyota switched suppliers on a rear end part and have been having issues 13 defective tacos at one dealership had to go back...the guys in a big fight with Toyota and wants a new 2014 when they switch back to their original supplier...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnoD7tWsX68

13. Dec 31, 2012 at 11:19 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Don't think you can put the front end squeak on Toyota especially when it happened after installing a lift.

If you had a blown speaker, why would you drive it off the lot. :confused:

14. Dec 31, 2012 at 11:25 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    You put on the cheapest lift you can buy and are bitching about it squeaking ?

15. Dec 31, 2012 at 11:26 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Squeak is caused by bushings now at a different position after the lift.

16. Dec 31, 2012 at 11:34 PM
    crazyasu45

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    3" SUSPENSION LIFT
    Well the lift was installed by a Toyota mechanic so maybe they fix the squeak under warranty and I noticed the blown speaker on the hwy driving home from the dealership about 20 min after i left...

17. Dec 31, 2012 at 11:35 PM
    crazyasu45

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    3" SUSPENSION LIFT
    I let Toyota pick the lift...

18. Dec 31, 2012 at 11:37 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  19. Dec 31, 2012 at 11:41 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Dealership /= Toyota

They are a franchisee and sales representative only. They had nothing to do with the engineering of the truck (or the lift).

20. Jan 1, 2013 at 5:29 AM
    pra4sno

pra4sno Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR MT. Previously 2013 DCSB SR5
    You said you owned a few Jeeps, and are startled by the threads here on the Tacoma forum? I've got to assume you never spent much time on the Jeep forums.

I owned three Jeeps, and each one was a poorer ownership decision than the last - because I should have known it was a bad idea the first two times. I credit my Jeeps now for me being able to tackle almost any mechanical automotive issue, and some electrical: they turned me into a mechanic.

I know plenty of people with Toyotas - nothing but good things to say about QC.

Products Discussed in

To Top