Notices

Advice on switch type

Old 12-31-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
jgunccrugby is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
jgunccrugby's Tacoma Gallery
Advice on switch type

Tell me what your thoughts are on this.
I'm thinking of running a constant hot or figuring out how to do a standard on/off auxiliary power source witha toggle switch override.

Ideally I would have Auto/constant hot/off. Or a switch from contestant hot to igniitian activated. Any thoughts on how to do this? I have been looki g at diagrams, switches, and everything in between.

I was also thinking of using the same application, ideally, for auxiliary back-up lights so that they activate with the normal reverse but also can have an override option if the truck is off or in park.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunccrugby View Post
Tell me what your thoughts are on this.
I'm thinking of running a constant hot or figuring out how to do a standard on/off auxiliary power source witha toggle switch override.

Ideally I would have Auto/constant hot/off. Or a switch from contestant hot to igniitian activated. Any thoughts on how to do this? I have been looki g at diagrams, switches, and everything in between.

I was also thinking of using the same application, ideally, for auxiliary back-up lights so that they activate with the normal reverse but also can have an override option if the truck is off or in park.

Any thoughts?
What?
Old 12-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #3

Ok, let me try to reword this:
Aux plug with power all the time and use a switch to return the outlet to only being active when the vehicle is on.

On the backup lights: primarily have them linked in with the lightes thack kick on when the vehicle is in reverse but have an override so they can be on without the truck being on or in reverse
Help?
Old 12-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Gots a Taco!
Series1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really nice
Series1000's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly, it may be more complex than your thinking. Any good repair shop can do it for you, it will be alot of work to do it the way you want.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok, let me try to reword this:
Aux plug with power all the time and use a switch to return the outlet to only being active when the vehicle is on.
Simple ON-OFF switch that can handle the amps of the aux plug. Usually 20 amps max. On one side fused power always on. On the other input fused accesory power (not many choices in-cab. And the add-a-circuit are 10 amps max.) There is a higher add-a-circuit clone with higher gauge wire n fuse but the slots available at the in-cab fuse center would have to be monitored: as in only one circuit at a time at the joined tap.

Quote:
On the backup lights: primarily have them linked in with the lightes thack kick on when the vehicle is in reverse but have an override so they can be on without the truck being on or in reverse
Help?
Old 12-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #6

That is good to know. I didn't think it would be terribly difficult... I can figure out about anything as long as I have a diagram and know the parts. It doesn't appear that this has been attempted though. May take a different approach on each.
Charging line with direct power and a switch then just tap into the back up lights for the other.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribe makaira View Post
Simple ON-OFF-ON switch that can handle the amps of the aux plug. Usually 20 amps max. On one side fused power always on. On the other input fused accesory power (not many choices in-cab. And the add-a-circuit are 10 amps max.) There is a higher add-a-circuit clone with higher gauge wire n fuse but the slots available at the in-cab fuse center would have to be monitored: as in only one circuit at a time at he joined tap.

You sir are awesome....
Old 01-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #8
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Go here to find reverse light tap for your switch...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ra-switch.html
Old 01-01-2013, 01:37 AM   #9
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Just use diodes dude. Way simpler then an on off on switch.

Wire the rear lights strait to the revers lights. Then have a diode on the power for the lights right before it connects to the lights. Then set up a switch like you normally would for the lights. But put a diode on the power wire. Simple as that.

I'm still slightly confused on what you want for the first part...
Old 01-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
Lurker No More

Well lets have an On-Off switch then....

Old 01-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #11

Would it be advisable to add a fuse box under the hood?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #12

And thank you all for the help.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #14

Ok. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #15

Last question, until I actually start working on this thing this weekend.
If I add a fuse box and run these items off of the fuse box is my thinking right that: Each existing reverse bulb draws 1.6a and each 55w draws 4.6a so:
(1.6a*2)+(4.6a*2) = 12.32 Amps i.e. fuse needs to be 15 amps?