Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2013 Stereo Background Change Possible?

Old 01-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
2013 Stereo Background Change Possible?

I am always a big fan of customization. Is it possible to change the background/wallpaper on the touch screen factory HU? The manual made no mention of it, and even though the black with blue solar flare background is fine, it would be awesome to have something else displayed. I went through all the options on the HU and found nothing pertaining to images or wallpapers.

I am about to put a usb with a jpeg on it in my truck usb slot to see if it will read the image. For Toyota to put a touchscreen in a Tacoma, you would think basic petty features like this would have been included.

EDIT: Seems no real way to change background

EDIT: 1/3/13
After a little looking around last night I ended up finding this interesting thread regarding A/V input discovered on a factory Camry HU, very similar to the 2013 Tacomas. I'm not tech savvy but maybe someone else can put it to use.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/11...deo-input.html

And I did find a way to get to a diagnostic menu, courtesy of the entune forum I found last night. If you turn the stereo on, HOLD the setup button, then proceed to turn on the headlights, shut them off, turn on the headlights, shut them off, turn on the headlights, shut them off (three cycles to "ON" total) a diagnostic menu pops up. Of course the menu seems unusable, but it is neat to know there is at least one hidden menu found out there.

EDIT: 1/9/13
Here are the links to the other 2 threads tracking the A/V input.

Jerez' thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...-2012-a-8.html
Other thread addressing camera in dash as well as Jerez' input on the A/V development: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...h-display.html

EDIT: 1/16/14

Just to let everyone know: 2014 images ARE changeable. The 2013's are in no way/shape/form changeable by the end user. Unless someone on here is a hacker/2013 Taco HU developer and clues us in.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
Goof Ball
pra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
pra4sno's Tacoma Gallery
Let us know what you sort out!
Old 01-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pra4sno View Post
Let us know what you sort out!
Loaded various size jpeg's on a flash drive, and some mp3's (haven't yet tested playing songs off the flash drive like the manual says), so I will see what happens
Old 01-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Negative Ghostrider

Army:
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Well not to my surprise it did not work. I guess unless someone finds some hidden menu or something to that extent, there is no way to change the background image. But on the bright side playing music off the flashdrive worked without a hitch as expected
Old 01-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
Tactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Tactical Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
It sucks that we can't change it. I can change the splash screen and a shit ton more of the settings on my 2013 Avalon Limited with Entune. I wish I could change all the same stuff on my Tacoma that I can change on my Avalon.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #6
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
flyerdrew21 is on a distinguished road
flyerdrew21's Tacoma Gallery
2013 touch screen override?

I've searched a lot in this forum and haven't really found what I'm looking for. Forgive me if I've missed it somewhere, and if so, please point me in the right direction!

I have a 2013 DCSB Sport with the touch screen radio, but without nav. Is there a way to override the safety feature to allow me to have my iPhone nav/pics/videos etc show up on the screen while driving?

My local stereo guy said he's heard a rumor of a wiring override coming out for the touch screen, but he didn't have any hard info. Anyone else have anything to go on?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
BillyP will become famous soon enoughBillyP will become famous soon enough
Coast Guard: CWO4-retired
Name: Billy
BillyP's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for trying. Will be following the thread.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
ASE Master Tech.
gasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gasgasman's Tacoma Gallery
I've installed these on Fords before.
You can change the "home" screen to whatever you want.
I don't know if it is the same for the Toyotas.

http://www.coastaletech.com/LOCKPICK_MAIN.htm
Old 01-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
Negative Ghostrider

Army:
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdrew21 View Post
I've searched a lot in this forum and haven't really found what I'm looking for. Forgive me if I've missed it somewhere, and if so, please point me in the right direction!

I have a 2013 DCSB Sport with the touch screen radio, but without nav. Is there a way to override the safety feature to allow me to have my iPhone nav/pics/videos etc show up on the screen while driving?

My local stereo guy said he's heard a rumor of a wiring override coming out for the touch screen, but he didn't have any hard info. Anyone else have anything to go on?

Thanks!
I have no idea. You mean you do not have the JBL/Entune HU correct? Basic touch screen without the "apps" button right?

There is not much info on the 2013 HU's out there on the forum so far, besides that Entune thread that just had people talking about general features
Old 01-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
Negative Ghostrider

Army:
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
I've installed these on Fords before.
You can change the "home" screen to whatever you want.
I don't know if it is the same for the Toyotas.

http://www.coastaletech.com/LOCKPICK_MAIN.htm
Definitely looks neat. The only applications I see on the site though is for 04 Prius or certain 06 Toyota/Lexus so I doubt the tech is the same now.

Edit: browsed around some more. Seems like only truck model is a 2009 Tundra
Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 AM   #11
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
flyerdrew21 is on a distinguished road
flyerdrew21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdevTac View Post
I have no idea. You mean you do not have the JBL/Entune HU correct? Basic touch screen without the "apps" button right
Correct, no JBL/Entune. I have the Basic touch screen. Local stereo shop said they should be able to fix it so I can have my iphone display on the stock toyota touch screen for maps/videos etc... but they said they dont have the right wiring harness to override things yet... Apparently they could do it if it was a 2012.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #12
Negative Ghostrider

Army:
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdrew21 View Post
Correct, no JBL/Entune. I have the Basic touch screen. Local stereo shop said they should be able to fix it so I can have my iphone display on the stock toyota touch screen for maps/videos etc... but they said they dont have the right wiring harness to override things yet... Apparently they could do it if it was a 2012.
That would definitely be neat.

On a side note I did some browsing around last night and found this thread over on Toyota Nation where a guy found A/V input for his new Camry HU. It is also a similar unit made by Panasonic.

I will update my OP to include the links and one other thing I found on a hidden diagnostic menu, which is good for nothing.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #13
MikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

On a side note I did some browsing around last night and found this thread over on Toyota Nation where a guy found A/V input for his new Camry HU. It is also a similar unit made by Panasonic.

I will update my OP to include the links and one other thing I found on a hidden diagnostic menu, which is good for nothing.
That wiring does look very promising. If it wasn't the winter I'd tear into the dash and take a look around.

It'd be fun to either have a front view camera or a TV tuner in there, just because.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #14
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
im trying to install a 2013 non entune touch screen radio into my 08,

just got the antenna wire in last night and have the 3 other plugs im missing to make to connect a usb/aux port and add a back up cam to it.

also im trying to figure out how to add a video "in" hook up for movies.... so lets see how far i can go
Old 01-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #15
MGM Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
MGM Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
No useful info to share :-(
Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #16
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

ok this right here^^

i was messing with the radio and somehow triggered this audio/video in...

just dont know how because i turned off the radio and it disappeared.
im trying to get it back up as we speak...
Old 01-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #17
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Got it

Old 01-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #18
MGM Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
MGM Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Um how you do it lol???
Old 01-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #20
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM Tacoma View Post
Um how you do it lol???
once i get more time to mess with it ill see exactly which wire was the trigger (i have like 10 in there right now)