Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Mirror shake help needed

Old 01-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Bad guy hunter
rpeker is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpeker is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpeker is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpeker is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpeker is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpeker is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpeker is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpeker is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpeker is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpeker is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpeker is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
rpeker's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow Mirror shake help needed

TW,

The drivers side mirror on my truck shakes like crazy when I drive. I was wondering if anyone else has this issue and more importantly if there is a fix for it?

Here is a video to see what I am talking about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TDztFtRr6E
Old 01-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
bplppl is on a distinguished road
bplppl's Tacoma Gallery
Is it a powered mirror? If so it make have come undone and should snap back in place unless the plastic clasps are broken. If its not power, then I would think some heavy industrial glue like JB weld, Gorilla glue, or Liquid Nails to re attach the mirror to the pegs.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
Bad guy hunter
rpeker is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpeker is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpeker is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpeker is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpeker is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpeker is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpeker is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpeker is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpeker is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpeker is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpeker is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
rpeker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplppl View Post
Is it a powered mirror? If so it make have come undone and should snap back in place unless the plastic clasps are broken. If its not power, then I would think some heavy industrial glue like JB weld, Gorilla glue, or Liquid Nails to re attach the mirror to the pegs.
The truck is an SR5 so it does have the power mirrors. I can take another look, but the mirros feels secure to me, it just shakes like crazy when I drive...
Old 01-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
BARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
BARTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is the same way. I never really paid it much attention though. But it does shake more than the passenger mirror
Old 01-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Pull the "sail" from the inside of the door and check the 3 nuts that hold the mirror to the door.
The nuts on my '95 Suburban were always coming loose.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm thats a lot of movement. Mine vibrates but only at highways speeds and high winds.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Pull the "sail" from the inside of the door and check the 3 nuts that hold the mirror to the door.
The nuts on my '95 Suburban were always coming loose.
He mentions in the vid that the mount to the door is solid.

OP, You might have to disasseble the mirror, and check the "Fold-away" part, and make sure its not loose inside. You should be able to tighten it up a bit.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Ahh.. Didn't have sound turned on and couldn't tell from the vid if it was the mount or not.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
This is a very simple, 2 minute fix.

On the bottom of the mirror housing on the outside you will see a very small cover. Use a small flat screw driver to open that cover being careful not to scratch anything.

Inside that cover you should find a Torx screw. I don't remember what size it is, but tighten that screw and check to see if that does the trick. Remember to close the cover.

My driver's side mirror vibrated like crazy on my 08 Sport 4x4 DC too, and I found this fix on another website.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
Bad guy hunter
Air Force:
rpeker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketball View Post
This is a very simple, 2 minute fix.

On the bottom of the mirror housing on the outside you will see a very small cover. Use a small flat screw driver to open that cover being careful not to scratch anything.

Inside that cover you should find a Torx screw. I don't remember what size it is, but tighten that screw and check to see if that does the trick. Remember to close the cover.

My driver's side mirror vibrated like crazy on my 08 Sport 4x4 DC too, and I found this fix on another website.

Hope that helps.
I will try this later tonight and let you know how it works out! If this works then YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
tagman9111 is on a distinguished road
tagman9111's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeker View Post
TW,

The drivers side mirror on my truck shakes like crazy when I drive. I was wondering if anyone else has this issue and more importantly if there is a fix for it?

Here is a video to see what I am talking about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TDztFtRr6E

Same thing happened to mine. Tighten the three torx screws on the outside bottom of the mirror (one is exposed, two are under the plastic cover). Remember to tighten with a T25 torx bit. I tightened mine with the wrong tool and now it is rusted and rounded out--doesn't rattle though. Can't find a new screw because they are not sold separately and no one wants to sell me theirs!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #12
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeker View Post
I will try this later tonight and let you know how it works out! If this works then YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!

He IS the man, cuz he's right and that's the problem . Your pivoting hinge is a little loose.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #13
Bad guy hunter
Air Force:
rpeker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by File IFR View Post
He IS the man, cuz he's right and that's the problem . Your pivoting hinge is a little loose.
Nope, the three screws are all snugged down nice and tight If I can use those same three to take the mirror off then I will take it off when I get a chance and see if something is loose inside.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #14
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
OK. Here's what I'd do before removing the mirror, sail and all.

Try this first...
Pop off just the glass and plastic backer (all one as a unit). The white 4-way mount could use a bit of a tightening on the motor housing. You'll need a flathead screwdriver to remove the glass/plastic panel.

The start of this thread shows how the glass is removed. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post4206444
Old 01-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #15
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
My 06 did the exact same thing. Only the mirror and not the housing and it was the drivers side also. It way annoying as hell but I never did anything about it. Only was really bad at night with lights behind me.