Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Ticking/Winding Noise from Rear End

Old 01-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
Andy040715 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
Andy040715's Tacoma Gallery
Ticking/Winding Noise from Rear End

Hey all, my 06 tacoma v6 trd auto 121k is making a strange noise lately. When I am driving 25-50 mph and I just feather the gas, a winding/whirling sound is coming from the rear end of my truck. It just started doing this when ive been going from 2x4 to 4x4 with the weather we are getting here in Maine. When I bought it 1000 miles ago, the toyota dealership said they replaced the barrings in the rear end. I am a total noob and have limited skills in repairs/recognizing issues. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
Vstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Vstrom30's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like it could possibly be a pinion bearing from your description. A pinion bearing failure can make noise under load but quiet down or disappear when letting off the accelerator.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
Chris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Chris24's Tacoma Gallery
i had what you're describing when i bought my truck last april. I replaced rear diff fluid with mobil 1 synthetic and greased the drive shaft and the noise went away and has not come back
Old 01-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
Goof Ball
pra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
pra4sno's Tacoma Gallery
Check fluid first. Maybe they re-installed the gaskets improperly and it has slowly drained to an unsuitable level.

If yes, break the seal, inspect, (maybe take and post some pictures here for the more experienced members), re-seal, and fill it up.

If its still full, I would still drain the fluid, Look for anything unusual in it, and replace it with a fresh synthetic. Who knows, maybe its the wrong fluid. I remember my previous 4x4's were very particular about what diff fluid was in them - sometimes requiring additives for a totally smooth performance.

It is possible that its a pinion bearing, but better to eliminate some variables first. They above should take an hour and no more than $15.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #5
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy040715 View Post
Hey all, my 06 tacoma v6 trd auto 121k is making a strange noise lately. When I am driving 25-50 mph and I just feather the gas, a winding/whirling sound is coming from the rear end of my truck. It just started doing this when ive been going from 2x4 to 4x4 with the weather we are getting here in Maine. When I bought it 1000 miles ago, the toyota dealership said they replaced the barrings in the rear end. I am a total noob and have limited skills in repairs/recognizing issues. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
If there's still a used vehicle warranty in force, take it back to the dealership and have them look at it. FWIW, any time there's a problem coming from the same area as a recent repair, I look there first. Whatever work the dealership did prior to purchase should be inspected.