Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help! Mechanical Click Under Engine Cover - Truck won't start

Old 01-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
The Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
The Yellow Dart's Tacoma Gallery
Help! Mechanical Click Under Engine Cover - Truck won't start

Okay, I'm in need some some help. I've tried searching the forum, but my problem seems pretty specific, and I'm not sure of the terminology to parry it down to the right search parameters.

On to the problem:

Went out to start the truck this morning - it was about 35 degrees with light frost. After turning the ignition, the starter didn't turn and the there was a loud, repetitive clicking from behind the instrument cluster. Power worked fine - all windows, radio, etc., worked.

Tried again this afternoon, and it did the same thing in 50 degree weather. Despite all indications it wasn't battery, I tried jumping it, but that didn't work.

Guy at O'Reilly thought it might be a relay, so I checked all of those and the fuses -- all fine.

When the GF turned the ignition while I was looking under the hood - the clicking sounded more mechanical and less electrical that when I was in the cabin, and also seemed to be coming from under the engine cover, down near the firewall. This is as far as I've gotten.

Any help determining this problem would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe starter. Try and take something and peck on your starter. So you did try to jump? Maybe try a deffrent set of cables and/or make sure you had them hook to battery's good.

Good luck
Old 01-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
walterandcarol is on a distinguished road
Name: walter
walterandcarol's Tacoma Gallery
Bang on the starter!
Old 01-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
You have an 07. Does it have the original battery? If so, 5 year batteries generally last about 5 years. Buy a new battery.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have a 09 sport and have already replaced battery in it!
Old 01-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Battery or dirty connection. The clicking is the starter solenoid.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Millertime; nice Truck! ^^ WOW.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Yep. Sounds like the starter. Try hitting it with something as previously suggested. Mine did the same thing when it started to go.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
Millertime; nice Truck! ^^ WOW.
Thanks man!
Old 01-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnorantlyAlberta View Post
Yep. Sounds like the starter. Try hitting it with something as previously suggested. Mine did the same thing when it started to go.
Sounds like you know. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
Had the same issue on my old 98 turned out to be the altenator...it even clicked rapidly when the new one was installed the first couple times of trying to turn over the engine why jumping...just needed a good ground on the jumpers some more juice and it fired right up...
Old 01-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
Ga tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudy
Ga tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
If your battery is still the original,it may be the problem. You can test it by doing this, turn on your headlights and have someone watch the headlights. Then crank the engine with the headlights on, and if the headlights dim or go out, your battery is bad. If the lights stay lit and do not dim, then the starter relay or the starter is bad. Good Luck.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #14

You can also take the battery to a local advanced and they can tell you if it bad or not.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #16
Blygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Blygy's Tacoma Gallery
Did you jump to the battery or to the starter???
Old 01-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #17
The Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
The Yellow Dart's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, problem solved.

It WAS the battery. At first I thought it wasn't because the power worked throughout the vehicle and I even tried jumping it to no success.

But then, just for due diligence, I unhooked it again and took it to O'Reilly to get it tested - figured I'd completely eliminate it as a reason. Turns out it was bad.

Just got a new Die Hard from Sears.

I'm pretty sure that it was the original battery -- which is awesome. For what it's worth, my truck was running a Group 27F battery. The Sears guy said he's only seen those in Land Cruisers and whatnot.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #18
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yellow Dart View Post
Okay, problem solved.

It WAS the battery. At first I thought it wasn't because the power worked throughout the vehicle and I even tried jumping it to no success.

But then, just for due diligence, I unhooked it again and took it to O'Reilly to get it tested - figured I'd completely eliminate it as a reason. Turns out it was bad.

Just got a new Die Hard from Sears.

I'm pretty sure that it was the original battery -- which is awesome. For what it's worth, my truck was running a Group 27F battery. The Sears guy said he's only seen those in Land Cruisers and whatnot.
98% of the time it's the battery. It doesn't mean anything if your accessories and lights still work. If there is a dead cell your car will not start. Even trying to jump the battery won't work.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #19
08TacoTrD will become famous soon enough
08TacoTrD's Tacoma Gallery
Cold weather kill a failing battery.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #20
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, a typical battery usually last 4 - 5 years.