Notices

Can't stop in snow

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #41
akhermit is on a distinguished road

Army: Prior Service
Name: Steve
akhermit's Tacoma Gallery
I am in the middle of my first winter with the Tacoma, and I am actually impressed with it.

As far as braking, the ABS is no more sensitive than other vehicles I have owned. I got rid of the OEM tires before winter and got the Michelin LTX M/S2 tires. When it is really slick, I drive slower. The slicker it gets, the slower I drive. The ABS only kicks in at really slick intersections, but I normally slow down ahead of time, to prevent it from kicking in at all.

OP, are you sure that you were only going 15 MPH?

As others have stated, the Rugged Trails are rated pretty poor for snow and ice.

I have not put weight in the back yet, so in 2WD, I still spin a little taking off, but no issues in 4WD.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #42
Balien is on a distinguished road

Balien's Tacoma Gallery
Bridgestone dmv1 winter tires + weight in back makes a massive difference on ice with my 2010 crew cab trd sport, abs seldom goes off now. Great truck in all winter conditions. Before I couldn't get up my driveway without being in 4x4.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #43
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFly45 View Post
The tires are the OEM 5 ply BF Goodrich o/r w/fairly aggressive tread. Weather was just typical 3" - 4" slush/snow. Vehicle just acted like a sled.
I was in Lancaster County, PA over the Xmas holiday, I had no problem braking on ice/hard-packed snow on a slight downhill. Actually pretty hard braking, caught a light just at the wrong time where I didn't want to accelerate through it.

I was doing about 25-30 mph at the time, no problem at all, no sliding, no lockup, nothing. With the stock Dunlops. If you're in Central PA you know that was a bad storm, so why you're having problems in 3" - 4" of slush/snow I don't know.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #44
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoids View Post
i think it has a lot to do with tires and driving habits. where i live it seems like it's winter 8 months a year, i have been driving on snow and ice for the last month and my abs rarely kicks in, you have to drive to the conditions. with saying that, since i put on my duratracs, i don't even need to use 4x4 anymore. when i had my stockers i couldn't even get into my flat driveway if there was a 1" snow drift with out spinning out.
Gotta agree with you. I'm on 35" MTR Kevlars and 2wd(so I can't engine brake safely), and I rarely feel abs kick in. I drive slow and careful and it does ok. And these tires are like hockey pucks on ice.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #45
Sparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
Sparky73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haskett039 View Post
This is my first winter with my '12 TRD OR and i admit i was suprised at how poorly my truck performs in the snow. I pull forward into my driveway then back into the garage, once i stop the truck to put it in reverse i have to engage the 4WD just to get it moving again. And thats only in 3" - 5" of fresh snow and I have about 300+ lbs of extra weight in the back. Personally i think it is just the stock tires on the truck, with only 20,000kms on them i think i will be running snow tires next year.
Minor point: The truck in your post is a TRD Sport, not a TRD OR so your tires are significantly less aggressive, the suspension is set up different, and you don't have all the traction control options available on a TRD OR. TRD sport has sport tires and is suspension tuned for the road. TRD OR doesn't have color matched mirrors, a hood scoop, color matched rear bumper, or 18" alloys. Throw some better tires on her and you'll have better luck in the snow.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #46
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe the automatic trans has something to do with it, it keeps on pushing the back wheels even if ABS is trying to engage???

With the manual trans when braking on ice/snow I slam the clutch in fast and go to neutral. If I'm driving an auto trans I do the same, pop it into neutral fast when I go into a hard stop on ice/snow.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #47
ASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ASUAviator's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed this yesterday when I took mine to play in the snow. Testing the brakes it took longer than I expected for it to stop due to the slipping of the abs. or maybe it was the tires(ill hope)

Here's a kinda on/off topic question. Ive noticed this twice since washing it. afterwards there is alot of slipping in the brakes. Im hoping this is just because im getting the disc and pads wet with the hose and wont be a problem in wet weather driving??

Old 01-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #49
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazylegs View Post
sounds like ABS braking.. ABS ,and traction control suck in the snow. Turn em off and roll in 4h.
Okay, exactly how does one just turn off the ABS system? Would be nice to know in case ever needed.

Personally, I usually just slow down and brake gently on snow or similar. Not hard to do since that's what I did for many years before ABS.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #50
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
Okay, exactly how does one just turn off the ABS system? Would be nice to know in case ever needed.

Personally, I usually just slow down and brake gently on snow or similar. Not hard to do since that's what I did for many years before ABS.
It would be nice to ease into the brakes without the ABS kicking in

You can't turn off ABS without adding a bypass switch set up

Old 01-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #51
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
It would be nice to ease into the brakes without the ABS kicking in

You can't turn off ABS without adding a bypass switch set up
I haven't felt the ABS kicking in while braking gently. Of course, I've only had one afternoon early last year (on a trip to Kentucky - only time driven it snow) to really test it. On the few occasions when the brakes locked up (not sure that was ABS or just slippery road), I simply let off and reapplied again. I got through it all just fine.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #52
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
It's a common thing with the newer trucks.

Toyota has really dropped the ball on multiple vehicles as of late.
Troll Much?

Old 01-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #53
Goof Ball
pra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
pra4sno's Tacoma Gallery
My friend has Rugged Trails on his TRD, and after driving each other's trucks, I think the Dunlops on my SR5 are even better. Unbelievably low traction with the RT's!

I'd bet thats the problem you're having.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #54
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
I haven't felt the ABS kicking in while braking gently. Of course, I've only had one afternoon early last year (on a trip to Kentucky - only time driven it snow) to really test it. On the few occasions when the brakes locked up (not sure that was ABS or just slippery road), I simply let off and reapplied again. I got through it all just fine.
That's exactly my issue with it , you can't use the old method of braking with it , easing into it doesn't mean it won't engage

My first instinct when I feel a lock up is to let off the brake and ease back onto it , like in non ABS vehicles

Old 01-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #55
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The tires are the OEM 5 ply BF Goodrich o/r w/fairly aggressive tread. Weather was just typical 3" - 4" slush/snow. Vehicle just acted like a sled.
I would say that's where your problem lies. I'd switch to a michelin ltx m/s2 (I have experience with them, very good all around pavement only tire that's very good on wet pavement and seems to handle light slush/snow well) or the Goodyear Duratrac if you want something serious.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #56
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Have a 2012 Tacoma TRD O/R and went to apply brakes going down a snowy hill about 15 mph, felt as if brake pedal hit a wall, truck just kept going faster and faster had to steer into snow bank to stop, thought that was scary, 1 minute later same thing and had to exit up a side road to stop. Is it the tires, ABS or truck weight or what!?
Welcome to TW!

You might want to read some of Blueridge's recent thread. Much of what might be discussed here was already discussed there.

If you see a lot of snow, you may want some different tires. BFG Rugged Trail tires aren't the best, regardless of any ABS issues.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #57
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Late breaking news:

Snow and Ice are slippery.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:59 AM   #58
hetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant future
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
I have a steep, icy, gravel driveway, leading down to a steep, icy, gravel lane. I just go down in 1st gear, four wheel drive and ignore the brake...haven't slid yet. Studded snows and no weight. '11 access cab, 6 speed.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:18 AM   #59
Deuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Deuxdiesel's Tacoma Gallery
My '09 DC had the Rugged Trails, and they were horrible in every condition but dry pavement. My '12 DC came with the smaller Dunlops, and they were only slightly better. I just put on for snows (265/75 Winterforce) and in 2WD it is so much better than it was in 4WD with the OEM tires. In 4WD it is amazing. It was $500 that won't go towards other mods, but they will last years if I only use them in the winter.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:56 AM   #60
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
The ABS only works if there is a difference in wheel speed it has been on German cars since the early 80's and air craft since the 40’s if you find the ABS too sensitive it's time to reevaluate, you’re driving habits, conditions, tires, and speed. A wheel that is sliding has no traction. ABS is designed more for steering control then getting you stopped sooner. I agree the stock tires are worthless in slick weather that's why I use snow tires in the winter real snow tires.

Closed Thread