1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can't stop in snow

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DryFly45, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 1, 2013 at 8:49 PM
    Balien

Balien Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Tacoma auto, long box in red
    lighted 4x4 switch, python alarm/starter, weather tech matts, bug and rock deflector, , kuda cell phone mount in matched grey. DMV2 Tires, Bilstein 5100 lift, Icon RXT leafs. Sprayed the frame with Rust Check All the time.
    Bridgestone dmv1 winter tires + weight in back makes a massive difference on ice with my 2010 crew cab trd sport, abs seldom goes off now. Great truck in all winter conditions. Before I couldn't get up my driveway without being in 4x4.

2. Jan 1, 2013 at 9:39 PM
    monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '90,'97,'12,'05 Tundra 4.7,'07 T4R 4.7,'08 T4R 4.7
    I was in Lancaster County, PA over the Xmas holiday, I had no problem braking on ice/hard-packed snow on a slight downhill. Actually pretty hard braking, caught a light just at the wrong time where I didn't want to accelerate through it.

I was doing about 25-30 mph at the time, no problem at all, no sliding, no lockup, nothing. With the stock Dunlops. If you're in Central PA you know that was a bad storm, so why you're having problems in 3" - 4" of slush/snow I don't know.

3. Jan 1, 2013 at 9:49 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Gotta agree with you. I'm on 35" MTR Kevlars and 2wd(so I can't engine brake safely), and I rarely feel abs kick in. I drive slow and careful and it does ok. And these tires are like hockey pucks on ice.

4. Jan 1, 2013 at 9:53 PM
    Sparky73

Sparky73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB 4x4
    Famous Fabrication Sliders, Duratracs, Painted Grill, BHLM, Devil's Horns Emblem, Derp'd Badges, Wet Okole Covers
    Minor point: The truck in your post is a TRD Sport, not a TRD OR so your tires are significantly less aggressive, the suspension is set up different, and you don't have all the traction control options available on a TRD OR. TRD sport has sport tires and is suspension tuned for the road. TRD OR doesn't have color matched mirrors, a hood scoop, color matched rear bumper, or 18" alloys. Throw some better tires on her and you'll have better luck in the snow.

5. Jan 1, 2013 at 9:58 PM
    monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '90,'97,'12,'05 Tundra 4.7,'07 T4R 4.7,'08 T4R 4.7
    Maybe the automatic trans has something to do with it, it keeps on pushing the back wheels even if ABS is trying to engage???

With the manual trans when braking on ice/snow I slam the clutch in fast and go to neutral. If I'm driving an auto trans I do the same, pop it into neutral fast when I go into a hard stop on ice/snow.

6. Jan 1, 2013 at 10:26 PM
    ASUAviator

ASUAviator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I noticed this yesterday when I took mine to play in the snow. Testing the brakes it took longer than I expected for it to stop due to the slipping of the abs. or maybe it was the tires(ill hope)

Here's a kinda on/off topic question. Ive noticed this twice since washing it. afterwards there is alot of slipping in the brakes. Im hoping this is just because im getting the disc and pads wet with the hose and wont be a problem in wet weather driving??

7. Jan 1, 2013 at 10:36 PM
    Foihdzas

Foihdzas VA7PTZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab 5' Box 6 Speed
    2010 Tacoma, sold...
    Sounds like it's in the linkage...

8. Jan 1, 2013 at 11:08 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Okay, exactly how does one just turn off the ABS system? Would be nice to know in case ever needed.

Personally, I usually just slow down and brake gently on snow or similar. Not hard to do since that's what I did for many years before ABS.

9. Jan 1, 2013 at 11:11 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    It would be nice to ease into the brakes without the ABS kicking in

You can't turn off ABS without adding a bypass switch set up

10. Jan 1, 2013 at 11:21 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    I haven't felt the ABS kicking in while braking gently. Of course, I've only had one afternoon early last year (on a trip to Kentucky - only time driven it snow) to really test it. On the few occasions when the brakes locked up (not sure that was ABS or just slippery road), I simply let off and reapplied again. I got through it all just fine.

11. Jan 1, 2013 at 11:22 PM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    Troll Much?

12. Jan 1, 2013 at 11:24 PM
    pra4sno

pra4sno Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR MT. Previously 2013 DCSB SR5
    My friend has Rugged Trails on his TRD, and after driving each other's trucks, I think the Dunlops on my SR5 are even better. Unbelievably low traction with the RT's!

I'd bet thats the problem you're having.

13. Jan 1, 2013 at 11:24 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    That's exactly my issue with it , you can't use the old method of braking with it , easing into it doesn't mean it won't engage

My first instinct when I feel a lock up is to let off the brake and ease back onto it , like in non ABS vehicles

14. Jan 1, 2013 at 11:30 PM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    I would say that's where your problem lies. I'd switch to a michelin ltx m/s2 (I have experience with them, very good all around pavement only tire that's very good on wet pavement and seems to handle light slush/snow well) or the Goodyear Duratrac if you want something serious.

15. Jan 2, 2013 at 1:53 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Late breaking news:

Snow and Ice are slippery.

:)

16. Jan 2, 2013 at 2:59 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I have a steep, icy, gravel driveway, leading down to a steep, icy, gravel lane. I just go down in 1st gear, four wheel drive and ignore the brake...haven't slid yet. Studded snows and no weight. '11 access cab, 6 speed.

17. Jan 2, 2013 at 3:18 AM
    Deuxdiesel

Deuxdiesel Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE MI
    Vehicle:
    '12 Silver Streak stocker
    My '09 DC had the Rugged Trails, and they were horrible in every condition but dry pavement. My '12 DC came with the smaller Dunlops, and they were only slightly better. I just put on for snows (265/75 Winterforce) and in 2WD it is so much better than it was in 4WD with the OEM tires. In 4WD it is amazing. It was $500 that won't go towards other mods, but they will last years if I only use them in the winter.

18. Jan 2, 2013 at 4:56 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    The ABS only works if there is a difference in wheel speed it has been on German cars since the early 80's and air craft since the 40’s if you find the ABS too sensitive it's time to reevaluate, you’re driving habits, conditions, tires, and speed. A wheel that is sliding has no traction. ABS is designed more for steering control then getting you stopped sooner. I agree the stock tires are worthless in slick weather that's why I use snow tires in the winter real snow tires.

19. Jan 2, 2013 at 6:33 AM
    merkman

merkman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Etna, NH
    Vehicle:
    2012 green
    I didn't even try the Dunlops in snow. That seemed suicidal! I too put on Winterforce and would not run in snow without a snow tire on any of my rigs...All season tires are summer tires. I also put 2 or 3 logs in the back, not so much for traction, but for breaking. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but like my 95 yota p/u, I think these trucks have a valve in the rear that gives you increased rear braking power as you carry more weight. Thats why I only changed the rear brakes in my old truck once in 18 years(@17.5). The shoes still had a ton of meat on them, but the drums rusted out. I also plow with my Tacoma (just my driveway) and the tires are a must. I picked up a second set of stock wheels and switch them out myself. My lug nuts came from the factory at all different torques, if you haven't ever checked them you might consider this. some were so tight I had to get the breaker bar and pipe to free them up. some were wicked loose. The winterforce are not expensive, have soft rubber and seem to last me numerous winters. Gotta getem off early and put em on only after it gets cold and stays cold. Tires are the only thing between you and the unknown... Cheap life insurance.

20. Jan 2, 2013 at 6:37 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Like, ^ this, Do it at your own "risk" and use it only when necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top