1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can't stop in snow

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DryFly45, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 2, 2013 at 4:37 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    I can confirm that the underlined part is Bologna unless the truck was broken. ABS doesn't work that way.

2. Jan 2, 2013 at 4:39 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    If only it was that easy. Vsc turns itself back on.

3. Jan 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    three years in NE and I never had a close call or a problem with my ABS. Now I will crash and burn for sure.

4. Jan 2, 2013 at 5:02 PM
    NiceTaco

NiceTaco Canadian Redneck

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    Aero Turbine 2525, Front bilstein 5100's @1.75, rear 5100's, 1" Toytec rear block, Devil Horns, BGF AT's, 18" Moto Metal 962's
    The abs on these things is stupid the pedal kicks so bad... I wasn't stopping either WTF

5. Jan 2, 2013 at 5:55 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Push and hold for 5 seconds

6. Jan 2, 2013 at 7:36 PM
    RyanK1

RyanK1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Penticton, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.5, TSB rear with block spacer, Procomp ES9000's, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, swaybar removed, DIY HiLift mount, Rear diff breather mod, ABS Kill Switch, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, Superwinch 8500
    There have been alot of good points made here. For me it comes down to a few factors, less than adequate oem tires, and a poor traction situation.
    I have never had any problems with the abs in my 06 and I run 265/70/17 Artic Claw xsi's with some winter weight in the bed.
    My advice, get yourself some better tires, approach every curve and grade with caution, be careful with downshifting, may cause your tires to break loose. When decsending, start low, find a comfortable speed in which you are not having to rely on harder brake applications to sustain. There is no shame in taking your time. Good luck and be safe out there.

7. Jan 2, 2013 at 9:36 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    It is entirely possible... I've never had ABS on a vehicle act that way before i had my 07. All 3 trucks were bought new. Maybe there have must been a bunch of defective parts or software over the years? Seems like there are quite a few others out there with this braking issue and many others without. ( much like the mpg issue). On my 07 I had no problems getting 350+miles per tank on a regular basis with the same setup i am currently running and I have never make it past 300 on the 2010 even before the SC went on at around 25k miles. Who knows...As long as nothing breaks, I'm happy :)

8. Jan 2, 2013 at 9:40 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    I believe all 05+ have 4 way ABS. This means each wheel ABS acts individually.

9. Jan 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    mbrogz3000

mbrogz3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    I figured I'd chime in...its definitely the tires. I've had my 2011 for over a year now, and the BF Rugged Trails are a joke. Its hard to believe that its legal to equip a vehicle with these. In heavy rain, and even on roads that are wet after a rain in 60-80 degree weather, I've learned to take it easy just because of how much lighter the steering feels. I dread making the tail 'come around' with little or no advanced indication. When I'm driving in the snow, or a salt treated road way which has been allowed to melt snow/ice, I basically learned to drive the truck likes its a fine piece of china to avoid engaging the abs. Part of the issue is an overly sensitive ABS system which we would have a hard time making a unified case against due to so many variables, and the other more easily correctable issue is the tires. I basically need to get through 3 more months with these garbage tires which have plenty of evenly worn treaddepth (even with an occasional parking lot side-slide), then I'm swapping them. With the tires, its the problem is probably a combination of the density and adhesion properties of the rubber a randomly applied 'off-road' looking tread pattern.

I guess to add, I had to do my 25 mile commute home during the first week of November when we had the nor-easter ice/snow storm, which started right at 4pm. The roads were completely untreated with a base layer of ice. Starting out, I basically used very light throttle in 2wd, kept plenty of distance of the vehicle in front of me. Going up a hill, i ever so lightly applied some throttle and the bed 'waggled' left and right...so I immediately took my foot off and threw it into 3..then i stuck it into 4wd hi. I didn't get any more waggle for the rest of the ride home and used very limited braking while using the shifter to down shift from 3 to 2 and back as needed. Like with what I'm doing, you may just have to work around the crappy tires until you don't feel bad about prematurely buying a new set.

10. Jan 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Like I said, even at that it comes back on after 35 mph but only on mountain roads. I guess the yaw sensor goes crazy. An additional switch to turn abs/vsc off completely took care if though.

11. Jan 3, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    If you push and hold the button , the VSC should remain off unless you are completely out of shape

When you simply push the button , it comes back on at 35mph

12. Jan 3, 2013 at 9:56 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I've turned it completely off and still came back on. Something to do with lift and tires I suppose even though I calibrated the sensor. I believe most likely wheels and tires as I have had the lift and did a mountain run and no sensors going off until I wheels and tires and that's when the beeping began. Besides, I'd rather have VSC and ABS completely off in snow.

13. Jan 3, 2013 at 9:57 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    From my 2009 manual :

The ABS does not operate effectively when :

~ The limits of the gripping performance has been exceeded
    ~ The vehicle hydroplanes while driving at high speed on wet or slick road

Stopping distance when ABS is operating will exceed that of normal conditions

The ABS is not designed to shorten the vehicle's stopping distance . Always maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you in the following conditions :

~ When driving on dirt , gravel or snow-covered roads
    ~ When driving with tire chains
    ~ When driving over bumps in the road
    ~ When driving over roads with potholes or roads with uneven roads

14. Jan 3, 2013 at 9:57 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    How are you turning off the ABS ?

15. Jan 3, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Added switch that disables one of the wheel sensors that turns the ABS/VSC altogether. I followed a thread somewhere.

I agree with others though that the ABS is sensitive that hitting a small bump on the road while stopping sets it off.

16. Jan 3, 2013 at 10:10 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I am going to do the same

17. Jan 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Only draw back is you have to turn the truck off to reset back to having VSC/ABS. Sometimes it doesn't reset immediately, it takes about 5 minutes after turning it back off and then on.

18. Jan 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Not with Landphil's method

19. Jan 3, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I think I came across that thread but just haven't gotten around to switching mine out. I've been using my 1st gen a lot more lately. No vsc :D

20. Jan 3, 2013 at 10:22 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    It's pretty easy! If you blow a fuse it will be the IGN1 No2 fuse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top