Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Probably a dumb question about using gears

Old 01-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
97lt1ta is on a distinguished road

97lt1ta's Tacoma Gallery
Probably a dumb question about using gears

I've been searching for trying to figure out the right time to use 4d and 2L on a 2wd prerunner. I'm very new to the off road scene and like to know the ins and outs of how to drive it properly with out getting stuck cause I was in the wrong gear. I'm mainly use too hooking up on a paved track then mud and dirt and that's if I don't break the rear end and make it all the way down the track lol
Old 01-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
The selection of gears in the auto only determines the highest gear the truck will shift up to
Old 01-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
The selection of gears in the auto only determines the highest gear the truck will shift up to
This.

Also, there's not a 4D or 2L. There's a D, a 4, a 3, a 2, and an L.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #4

97lt1ta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
This.

Also, there's not a 4D or 2L. There's a D, a 4, a 3, a 2, and an L.
Gotcha that makes more sense so basically in mudding you'd want to be in 4 and if you get in a bit of a pinch shift to L cause that locks the rear dif ?
Old 01-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #5

97lt1ta's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry if this sounds like I'm a complete idiot. I just know when I started building a drag/ still street car I made a few mistakes on the track and the parts and bought my truck as a daily plus some mud/ trailing fun
Old 01-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97lt1ta View Post
Gotcha that makes more sense so basically in mudding you'd want to be in 4 and if you get in a bit of a pinch shift to L cause that locks the rear dif ?

L does not lock the rear diff. The Rear Diff lock button locks the rear diff if equipped.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97lt1ta View Post
The gear selection has nothing to do with the locker function... Your auto transmission has 5 gears. Selecting anything lower than D only allows the truck to shift as high as that gear, that's it. The locker, if you have one, is operated completely separately.

Actually, I see the truck with the hood scoop in your avatar so that leads me to believe you have a TRD Sport. If that's the case, you do not have a rear diff locker. You have a mechanical limited slip rear diff, it is not selectable.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Your rear diff will only be locked if you have a Trd offroad, and choose to lock it. It's not dependent on the gear. I would stick to first gear (L as in Low), for 90% of offroad driving. Unless its high speed of course.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #9

97lt1ta's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys sorry for the rookie question