1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weird sound from under rear seats

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by xguntherc, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Jan 1, 2013 at 5:24 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc [OP] Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Icon Stage 5, Nexen Roadian MTX, Fuel KB43 Block wheels, Baja Design XL 80s, Baja Squad Pro WC fogs, TacoVinyl grill, "dudebro" lights, Prinsu rack, trail rash pinstripes, BAMF hybrid bumper, sliders, and LCA skids, and a few other things I can't think of.
    OK so I've only had my taco for a few weeks, but occasionally I'm hearing an odd sound that I've not managed to pinpoint.

Sometimes when turning hard, or going over speed bumps in my complex I'll hear something rattle around. Sorta sounds like the jack under the rear seats is moving or sliding, but that is not the problem. It doesn't happen often, but I'm thinking its something in the under-carriage.

Suggestions on what to check, where to look? Thanks!

2. Jan 1, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    TwzteD

TwzteD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    St Lucie Fl
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 reg cab Auto
    2013 4x4 reg cab, 2011 4runner sr5 rims, 265 general grabber at2's, 5100's All 4 corners with fronts at .85, De badged, Egr Rainguards, Led tail lights, Int wipers, fog lights, Trailer Hitch, POwer locks+ keyless entry, Extang Solidfold Bed Cover, WeatherTech Mats, Stubbie Antenna, Trd Skid Plate, Tint, Scanguage, Cargo net in bed, Sound Ordnance B-8PT, FULID FILM Under Coat.
  3. Jan 1, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc [OP] Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Icon Stage 5, Nexen Roadian MTX, Fuel KB43 Block wheels, Baja Design XL 80s, Baja Squad Pro WC fogs, TacoVinyl grill, "dudebro" lights, Prinsu rack, trail rash pinstripes, BAMF hybrid bumper, sliders, and LCA skids, and a few other things I can't think of.
    yea it does sound like it could be metal on metal. Just a little clink and then I don't hear it anymore.

Have a picture?

edit.. after watching your video. Yes that is exactly what I'm hearing.. still would love a picture if that's not too much trouble. lol

4. Jan 1, 2013 at 6:01 PM
    TwzteD

TwzteD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    St Lucie Fl
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 reg cab Auto
    2013 4x4 reg cab, 2011 4runner sr5 rims, 265 general grabber at2's, 5100's All 4 corners with fronts at .85, De badged, Egr Rainguards, Led tail lights, Int wipers, fog lights, Trailer Hitch, POwer locks+ keyless entry, Extang Solidfold Bed Cover, WeatherTech Mats, Stubbie Antenna, Trd Skid Plate, Tint, Scanguage, Cargo net in bed, Sound Ordnance B-8PT, FULID FILM Under Coat.
    Here's what to do to skip to the chase... If you have a jack, jack up one side of the truck from the Frame rail or flex ur truck so weight is off one side of the leaf pack, take a look In between the leafs and check for wear or a scuff mark if there is take a peice of felt pad used for bottom of chairs and stick it on it. That's what I did I finally found it today after 2 weeks on a brand new truck :/ I even brought it to the dealer and the didn't do squat. Check that and report back

5. Jan 1, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc [OP] Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Yea I just read your entire post.. Jack it up so the leaf pack isn't compressed and check for scuffs. I'll have to give that a try. I don't hear it often, but still. This seems like such a silly issue.

Thanks man.

6. Jan 1, 2013 at 6:08 PM
    TwzteD

TwzteD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    St Lucie Fl
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 reg cab Auto
    No prob, yours sound like its on the passenger side? The spot on mine was on both side of the leaf in front of the rear tire right where the metal bracket is that holds the emergency break cable in place. Look right there, bottom leaf spring right where the big rivet looking thing is that holds the u shaped bracket that's keeps the springs from shifting.

7. Jan 1, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc [OP] Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    yea sounds like it's under the back passenger seat when it happens.

8. Jan 1, 2013 at 6:15 PM
    TwzteD

TwzteD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    St Lucie Fl
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 reg cab Auto
    Check that out when u can and see if not check ur spare tire, u bolts, bed bolts, trailer hitch receiver.

9. Jan 1, 2013 at 6:42 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc [OP] Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    already checked bed bolts and trailer hitch. Next I was going to check the spare tire, just didn't sound like that direction.

I think your video nailed it. I'll do some checking tomorrow.

Products Discussed in

To Top