Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Pop going out of 4x4

Old 01-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Mr.Gadget is on a distinguished road

Mr.Gadget's Tacoma Gallery
Pop going out of 4x4

Guys is it normal to have a pop, and binding feel coming out of 4x4.

Don't remember it on the 2011 but the 2012 has more feel like the front end is binding up.

It happens moving or when you start moving after switching out af 4x4.
I have been using the 4x4 a little more hunting in the past months to move the ATV trailer, backing in the yard, on the side of the road.....

I tried several times to make sure the tires are not turning much if any left or right.

Going to check the tire pressure tonight but they look fine, I checked them when I aired up for towing.
It does not feel like ti is front to back but like my old dodge would do if you had the wheel turned a good bit then shift in and out.

Not too sure about the 4x4 system I thing these trucks have a disconect on the front axle, and then it shifts the transfer case also, that correct?

IF so it soulds likt the disconnect is binding and when it lets loose it pops good. As the sound and feel is from the front diff area.

The truck has not been used hard or run off road, no playing in the mud...
So the front gear should be fine, I have had broken teeth on a ring in the past of my off road rig, so I know it is not that, not near as bad, but close to the same feel.

Any thoughts.

My only though is that its normal, just loading up one tire more due to the ground or path, but just a little loud, never a problem running in 4x4 or 2WD..
Old 01-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 pops when moving. Make sure that you're stopped or in neutral if moving when you switch the 4x4 on and off. Well that's what I do anyway.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
It's normal. If you take your foot off the accelerator when switching to 2hi, it will lessen the chance of it popping.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
There go my nipples again!
Dilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shawn
Dilsky's Tacoma Gallery
Also make sure the wheels are pointed straight forward.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
It's normal. If you take your foot off the accelerator when switching to 2hi, it will lessen the chance of it popping.
This too
Old 01-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
Mr.Gadget is on a distinguished road

Mr.Gadget's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilsky View Post
Also make sure the wheels are pointed straight forward.
10-4 have been doing that.

I think it is something like the AC running and adding pressure when you are just rolling.. I will kick it in netural next time.

I feel the AC or what ever it is that kicks up the RPM's from time to time.
Being at a light, stop, then you feel like the truck is tring to take off or bumped the gas....
Maybe it is tied to that as most all the time I just started the truck to move the trailer.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
My 13' does this in and out of 4WD. Not every time but enough...
Old 01-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
If mine pops that means I didn't take the load off of the system before shifting it out. Usually just a very gentle deceleration while going back into 2wd is enough to make it near silent. Same when going into 4WD, it shifts in much more reliably with just enough throttle to imitating freewheeling.

It's the same principle as shifting a stick shift into neutral without pushing the clutch. If you don't feather the throttle, it's gonna pop out hard.