1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacos in snow, what do you think?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chipnoreo, Jan 2, 2013.

?

How does your Taco handle in winter conditions?

1. Ultimate winter driving machine!

39.9%
  2. It's gets me where I am going no problem. Maybe bot the best, but I am happy

50.0%
  3. Meh. I have driven better but it is ok.

8.8%
  4. It sucks. I would rather drive a motorcycle in the winter.

1.3%
  1. Feb 3, 2013 at 7:39 PM
    RoninTaco

RoninTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    09 Off-Road Super White
  2. Feb 3, 2013 at 7:42 PM
    LocoTaco

LocoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD Sport
    My Taco does fine in the snow.

3. Feb 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM
    dimduk

dimduk Life is a one way trip,enjoy it.

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    minnesota
    Vehicle:
    baja
    I had two regular cab Tacoma's before I got my TRD and the difference is night and day.We have dry snow here in Minnesota and the Dunlops didn't give much in the way of traction but I managed alright.Then when I got my TRD I was amazed at how intuitive the truck reacted to adverse weather conditions.The ABS and traction control and I didn't get along at first but the more I drove the truck the more I began to trust in the electronics.The only beef I have is the tires,they load up and tend to skate in the corners.I don't offroad so I probably will try to find a better snow tire for next winter.

4. Feb 3, 2013 at 8:40 PM
    Helta

Helta I am the Stig

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica AC TRD Sport 4x4 V6 6spd
    :taco::taco::taco::taco::taco::taco::taco::taco:

5. Feb 4, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    blackfriar

blackfriar Active Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I know the Dunlop Grand Treks are not too popular here, but I've got 29,000 miles on mine and they did well for me in the last snowstorm we had up here. This is my first Tacoma and I wish I'd gotten one a long time ago. It makes the winter a lot easier to tolerate.

6. Feb 4, 2013 at 7:55 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    I got 53000 miles out of them in New England. And I dotn live by the shore either :D
    However last 3000 miles were sketchy to say atleast.

7. Feb 4, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    zonian

zonian Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Knee Deep in the Hoopla.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4X4 - Pyrite Mica
    Raptor 4" Black Oval Nerf Bars, Hard-Wired Uniden RD9XL Radar Detector, Anytime Fog Light Mod, 12V Power outlet in Bed, Tailgate Anti-theft Mod, Distinct Offroad lightbar, 2 Hella Micro FF Driving Lights, 2 Hella Micro FF Fog Lights, Rear Slider Window Opener
    I think mine does too...of course, everything is relative; this is my first 4WD.

8. Feb 4, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    speyguy

speyguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Access Cab 4x4 SR5
    Extang Trifecta, BFG AT, Weathertech Digital Fits, AVS Bug Deflector II
    Truck is excellent in the snow, running BFG AT. It’s better than my old Colorado Z71, which in all honesty was not bad in the snow with a good set of tires.

What sets the Tacoma apart is the traction and sway control, the more I drive in the snow in 2h the better I like it. I live on the top of a long high hill; we got snow/freezing rain on the weekend. No way I would have made it in 2hi with the Colorado, I tried it many times and the ass-end would slide out.

I did it with the Tacoma in 2hi on Sun and I was impressed, no rear slide outs or power outs. Although you need to compensate with more throttle because the brakes are constantly applying breaking to the rear wheels to give you traction. (no weight in the ass end either)

In 4hi the traction control (TC) really helps control the front end in a turn. Combination of a little power (to get the fronts digging) and the TC just adds so much more control to straighten you out faster.

I also like the auto transmission, that gated shift and the multiple low gear options really help you control the truck in a downhill decent, even better when in 4 hi and lo. Of course a manual would be better but the auto is not bad. The ABS is very sensitive compared to other trucks I have owned, using the engine to slow things down helps. I like abs in some ways but when you need to pile on the brakes and stop fast it can get you in trouble.

IMO the big thing with winter driving is to much speed, control the speed, apply power when needed to provide traction and with the tech built into these trucks it will get you through.

9. Feb 5, 2013 at 4:14 AM
    prerunner11

prerunner11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2011 Magnetic Grey Prerunner Dbl Cab Sport
    Softopper
    Were you in the standard 2HI mode with this, or did you turn on AutoLSD in 2HI?

10. Feb 5, 2013 at 4:35 AM
    speyguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Access Cab 4x4 SR5
    Just the standard 2hi, focused on staying on the road so I never even thought about switching LOL. I have tried the other mode and it does seem stronger, not sure if that is the right way to word it but that's my take on it.

11. Feb 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM
    prerunner11

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    MD
    Vehicle:
    Softopper
    I haven't needed to use the AutoLSD yet, but your statement contradicts what I've heard in the past from others on this board. I have read that people had to turn on the AutoLSD to get up a hill because the VSC was killing their engine power.

12. Feb 6, 2013 at 12:28 PM
    Tacopuss

Tacopuss Member

Member:
    prince george
    Vehicle:
    the king of tacos
    millions
    oh god don't even ask about winter highway driving cause my taco is the shits

13. Feb 6, 2013 at 2:57 PM
    grizzlygoalie

grizzlygoalie Active Member

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Its Eh,

I'll give some to he tires- to all season are nothing compared to AT KO's tha tI had on my ram, and makes the front feel a bit unsettled - but I think alot of that is that I'm use to alot of weight on the front end with the Cummins, Once I get a new set of AT KO's on her I'm sure she'll get that extra grip.

I was surprised how quick the back end steps out with out the traction control, and how big of a difference it makes. I'm still not sure on what the Auto LSD does however.

14. Feb 9, 2013 at 1:29 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    i hated mine the 1.5 to 2 miles i drove it in the snow with the rugged fails last winter. and that was not even 1/2” of snow and 4x4

this winter i drove in 4” to 6” and did amazing when i was in NY! I do have a bed mat now and good set of nitto terra grapplers. i put it in 4wd and even on roundabouts i never had the back end even try and come out on me.

15. Feb 9, 2013 at 6:46 AM
    speyguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Access Cab 4x4 SR5

Bang on the vsc did effect the engine power, thats why I was harder on the gas.
    Kind of on/off with the power, feathering the gas if you will. I know the tires helped.

We got 40cm here last night, roads are plowed but its not nice. I just tried the other
    setting (autolsd) quite a differance.
    I have read others say its stronger, bang on!. I came up over the hill in 2hi much faster and more sure footed. No loss of engine power at all and no spin outs. By far the better setting.

If I was not sick as a dog I would go play more lol. The crud sucks!

16. Feb 10, 2013 at 6:32 AM
    prerunner11

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    MD
    Vehicle:
    Softopper
    Gotcha. Good to hear that about AutoLSD. If we ever got more snow around here I'd be able to try it out myself. Hope you feel better!

Since this thread is relevant to the tacoma in snow, I feel this is appropriate here. I'm sure there's guys/gals here of all ages so this may be appropriate to some but not to others.

Let me rant for a second here since it's relevant to this thread:
    For those who don't know, the way your vehicle performs in snow has a lot more to do than just whether your vehicle has 4wd or not. I've got an older in-law that swears if you don't have 4wd then you might as well be driving a scooter. I'm not talking about feet of snow here. I'm talking about snow covered roads that have blacktop under it (less than a foot of snow). He just doesn't comprehend that there's tires, weight, traction control, ground clearance, etc to the formula.

Maybe it's the prerunner + traction control that's throwing him off. Granted he does drive a 4wd expedition with worn to hell tires, yet thinks his vehicle is more safe and capable in snow than my tacoma prerunner just because it's 2wd.

Rant off.

17. Feb 10, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    JMaberry

JMaberry Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    01 3.4L TRD SR5 Extended Cab
    Spectre Intake, custom exhuast, ultragauge, bedlined bumpers and grill, ARE shell, jvc headunit, bottle opener in bed, satoshi, hella 500ffs behind grill
    Living here in Salt Lake City with the crazy winter we've been having, my tacoma has been great! Even driving up the cottonwood canyons to go skiing when the weather is particularly bad, I've never had anything it couldn't handle with 4wd and the rear locker!

18. Feb 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM
    CircuitBreaker

CircuitBreaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma TRD
    I'd say your PreRunner with excellent tires is more safe than his 4WD with bald tires. 4WD is helpful in snow and ice. However, it isn't going to do anything for you once you start to slide. At that point, you're along for the ride. Case in point right here - this video was shot (not by me) two years ago a mile from my house:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5exATIaQiI

While most of these vehicles are 2WD (both front and rear), there are a few 4WD vehicles that attempted this and failed...like a Chevy Silverado, a Jeep Liberty and a moron in a big Ford F-250 near the end...I mean, if it were me, I would have found an alternate route after seeing both regular street vehicles and 4WD vehicles all crashed into one another on both sides of the road. But every one of those drivers with 4WD thought for sure that they could do it.

19. Feb 10, 2013 at 2:17 PM
    prerunner11

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    MD
    Vehicle:
    Softopper
    Wow...what was the incline for that hill? I'm guessing there was a ton of ice.

That dude at the end with the truck that almost made it up must had egg all over his face once he started sliding backwards.

I'd like to think people would have found an alternate route. But at a certain point, it becomes a challenge to make it to the top of the hill for some.

20. Feb 10, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    MGM Tacoma

MGM Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dunn NC
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB MGM TRD OR
    that vid was nuts

Products Discussed in

To Top