Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacos in snow, what do you think?

View Poll Results: How does your Taco handle in winter conditions?
Ultimate winter driving machine! 244 39.93%
It's gets me where I am going no problem. Maybe bot the best, but I am happy 305 49.92%
Meh. I have driven better but it is ok. 54 8.84%
It sucks. I would rather drive a motorcycle in the winter. 8 1.31%
Voters: 611. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #21
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB Voodoo View Post
On snow covered pavement, my Audi (with Continental DWS's) blows them both out of the water, but obviously either of the trucks win when the snow is really deep.
Forgot all about the 2007 328xi (all wheel drive with run flats) never put it in snow but, driving between Biloxi & NOLA in particularly heavy rain a few months ago @ not exactly the speed limit the car made the Taco & Powerstroke look bad.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #22
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I got caught in a snow storm a while back without any weight in the bed and I just shoveled snow in bed. If there's snow on the ground, there's always something you could put in the bed
x2
Old 01-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #23
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I got caught in a snow storm a while back without any weight in the bed and I just shoveled snow in bed. If there's snow on the ground, there's always something you could put in the bed
ok. Top cars I've driven on ice and snow IMO.

My 98 taco < my 13 taco < mom's 05 4runner < grandmother's 03 lx470
Old 01-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #24
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Bad Ass!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #25
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has always done well. Only had two mishaps where it wasn't very happy... Foot of solid snow on a mountain, and a snow covered mud hole

Old 01-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #26
兔年快乐! 慢慢走!
trot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud of

trot's Tacoma Gallery
In my opinion, they are OK on snow.

Driver is the key on snowy, icy roads. Slow and steady. Stay home if you can.

I haven't had the opportunity to off-road or fire-road in big snow with the truck, and I think that's where the built rigs would have an advantage (more clearance, better off-road tires, armor and rails for when you slide off, etc. etc.)

I have a beef with this truck and heavy rain, but for now, I will blame it on the stock Rugged Trail tires. It's been a little more firm since I put a Leer on the back. We'll see.

Best snow vehicle for me was my 02 WRX. Even without Blizaks it did great. Great in the rain too. (As expected, I suppose.) Worst was a toss up between by 98 HD Fat Boy (got stuck out in heavy snow and just sat there, waiting on plows, didn't have to wait long in MD, they are good about that) and my 05 S2K (Don't. Touch. Gas.) lol.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #27
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
When I had my '11 DCLB with a tonneau cover, I never had any issues in the winter at all. Now that I have a '13 AC and no tonneau I find that the ass end likes to kick out on a regular basis(I know, put weight in). I just wish that the ABS and the traction control weren't so touchy. I found that in the '11 that they were not as touchy.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #28
When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan S.
CorrosiveTendency's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Not to hijack, but how many miles do you have on those tires? Procomp Xtreme MT? When mine were new they were great, but now, still at about 1/2 tread they are bad.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #29
junkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant future
Name: Erik
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Worst was 325IS with performance tires. Almost died in it.

Best was 325IS with snow tires. I swear I could go anywhere with those tires.

Taco hasn't seen snow yet. Has to be better than a 325IS. But I was shocked at the diffrerence the tires can make on the bimmer so I assume tires will be a factor for the Taco.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #30
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say it does pretty damned good when you need to call a snowcat to recover it

Old 01-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #31
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
does great in the snow..as long as you are prepared for it, and have the right equipment and know how to drive in it

Old 01-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #32
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrosiveTendency View Post
Not to hijack, but how many miles do you have on those tires? Procomp Xtreme MT? When mine were new they were great, but now, still at about 1/2 tread they are bad.
I loved the pro-craps when I first got them. Now...they pretty much suck balls. They are still good in the dirt and great in the sand, but they suck a fat one in the snow.
The 2 balder of the 4 are actually my spares now. The two fronts actually have a little over 1/2 tread left. I'm running Hankook MTs in the rear of that picture.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #33
reiss91 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
reiss91's Tacoma Gallery
2001 access can v6 6spd offroad. 4lo locked diff and a trac couldn't move. Couldn't back up cause of the tree
Attached Thumbnails
Tacos in snow, what do you think?-image.jpg  
Old 01-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #34
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

In the end, pretty much everyone's interpretation on how much they like/dislike their vehicle in the snow almost completely depends on what tires they have on.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #35
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
In the end, pretty much everyone's interpretation on how much they like/dislike their vehicle in the snow almost completely depends on what tires they have on.
+ skillz

some people are tards no matter what they are driving. Can't fix stupied.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #36
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
+ skillz

**stupid

But agreed.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #37
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
**stupid

But agreed.
Oh you don't know the "stupied" spelling version? It's a regional thing. Started in Vegas about 3-4 years ago
Old 01-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #38
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
+ skillz

Agreed!

Just hope someone else's stupid doesn't hit me when the weather gets shitty!
Old 01-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #39
modmike is on a distinguished road
Name: mike
modmike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

This is one of the best photos I've seen on this site. Killer shot!
I think the Tacoma does very well in snow. Of course it helps to have 4 wheel drive, good ground clearance, decent tires with snow chains at the ready.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #40
G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) sufferer
dionysis has a spectacular aura aboutdionysis has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jim
dionysis's Tacoma Gallery
I have owned and driven a TON of different vehicles in the snow. Minus clearance issues of driving a car I have to say BMW's with snow tires on them is about as good as it gets. BMW traction control is throttle by wire based and works 10000x better than toyota's ABS traction control. Not to mention BMW's almost all have a 50/50 weight balance. The most dangerous I owned was probably my FJ-40 with a fuel injected 350 @ 350hp and 33x12.5 BFG Mudders. It was great in fresh powder and an ice skate on everything else.

My wife's 2010 FJ does pretty good overall, my 08 Tacoma has crappy (but new) Fuzion tires on it and does great in 4x4 but is a drifting machine in 2wd. The tires came with the truck and I plan on changing them to something better soon.

In the end, I think my driving skills have more to do with how good my Taco is in the snow more than anything else.

Products Discussed in this Thread