Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacos in snow, what do you think?

View Poll Results: How does your Taco handle in winter conditions?
Ultimate winter driving machine! 244 39.93%
It's gets me where I am going no problem. Maybe bot the best, but I am happy 305 49.92%
Meh. I have driven better but it is ok. 54 8.84%
It sucks. I would rather drive a motorcycle in the winter. 8 1.31%
Voters: 611. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #41
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiss91 View Post
2001 access can v6 6spd offroad. 4lo locked diff and a trac couldn't move. Couldn't back up cause of the tree
i donít have ATRAC but i had the same thing happen to me like exactly a year ago tonight! i was trying to make it up my drive way which is pretty steep. 4lo and locker got me no where. stupid rugged trails(i mean fails) just packed with snow and would not clean them selfs. we only had like 1Ē of snow.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #42
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Seems to do fine for me either starting or stopping. And that's with the stock Dunlops. I voted option 2, but if I had BFG AT KO's on all 4 wheels I'd have voted option 1.

The ABS seems to work just fine for me. I really get the impression after reading the various snow threads that some people just don't know how to stop in the snow with an ABS system, or without ABS for that matter.

You have to pop the truck into Neutral fast so your drive wheels don't keep pushing the truck forward while you're trying to stop, that's a huge deal IMO. There's no good reason to keep the drive wheels engaged when you're trying to stop fast, but I think people panic and forget all about this simple thing.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #43
oldtommyboy is on a distinguished road
Navy: ordinance
Name: tom
oldtommyboy's Tacoma Gallery
Never go into neutral except for fun like putting your e-brake on!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #44
cdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
cdthiker's Tacoma Gallery
Well..... I think the main points have been made....
Number one factor is going to be Driver skill set
Number two factor is going to be tires.....

My 2010 Outback sport gave me 25% power to each wheel.... mate that up with a five speed and you going get in and out of almost anything..... I miss that.
However all of these cars we are talking about have the major problem of clearance.

I live in Northern Idaho.... when it snows... it snow.
I live 2 miles off the pavement. We seem to get snow not by the innch.... but by the foot...
I have a 2012 2.7 five speed regular cab.... The canopey on the back gives me some weight add the sand in tot he factor and I have about five hundred LBS back there...
I am running Hankook Danapro ATM's I carry a set of agressive V bar chains for the back tires....

Driving to work in 20 inches of standing snow has happened more then once this winter.... once you get moving dont stop.... It works for me,
but then again I have been driving in that much snow my whole Life I am used to it

the 12 taco beats the HELL out of the wifes snow rig
91 blazer sport..... hahahahahahahahah
Old 01-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #45
WVHellbilly is on a distinguished road

WVHellbilly's Tacoma Gallery
My taco has always gotten me wherever I wanted to go, but that might be because it nows I'll burn it to the ground if it doesn't.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #46
mitzu is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: mike
mitzu's Tacoma Gallery

It does ok
18x9 with new all season tires
2wd
LSD.
It SUCKS in the snow
Old 01-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #47
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Does well in the snow. I have the stock dunlops on now and I know how bad they are and I'm a huge believer in good tires!! I had a Jetta and I
Always had awesome snows on it, I would drive 65-70 in any type of snow no problem. Car would track straight and no problems passing. Obviously driver experience is the main factor in driving. My tacoma performs as well as it could with these shit tires. I imagine with some BFG's it will be sick!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #48
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyface View Post

You have to pop the truck into Neutral fast so your drive wheels don't keep pushing the truck forward while you're trying to stop, that's a huge deal IMO. There's no good reason to keep the drive wheels engaged when you're trying to stop fast, but I think people panic and forget all about this simple thing.
i find that keeping it one gear lower than normal at a given speed helps making stopping easier.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #49
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
More about driver and tires in the snow/ice.

If were talking deep snow or off-roading with snow my truck is amazing. If we're talking city driving on really ice streets, my wifes AWD Kia Sportage is every bit as good.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #50
Ron4234 is on a distinguished road
Army: HH-60M Crewchief (MEDEVAC)
Ron4234's Tacoma Gallery
Dunno where you all grew up or what you drove, but my first street legal ride was an '80 VW Van with semi bald tires.. Granted, rear engine/RWD, (off roaded ok with better treads in later life).. but I just picked up a '13 TRD access cab on 12/20 and drove home over 175 miles in a decent snowstorm.. Through NH white mountains and past Killington VT.. Gotta say, Ive owned lots of vehicles with various forms of traction control and ABS, but my new Taco with the crappy BFG's was glued to the road...
Ive driven by lots of 4WD's that went off the road after they passed me doing 65-70 with ice or snow on the road in my years of driving. Even with my shitty Kia with wide all season(summer) treads...

I guess in the end I'm saying that the best tires or weight ro how many traction control letters dont mean anything once theres snow on top of ice...

So far in the few days I've owned my Taco, I'm impressed with its capabilities in the snow, but I still wont underestimate Mother Nature and her ability to toss me off road when I least expect it....

Forgive my semi-drunken ramblings, but Ive had Chevys, Fords and 1 too many Dodges, but I'm in love with my new Tacoma ....
Old 01-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #51
SixLugThug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixLugThug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixLugThug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixLugThug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixLugThug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixLugThug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixLugThug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixLugThug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixLugThug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixLugThug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixLugThug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alexander
SixLugThug's Tacoma Gallery
I learned winter driving in a rx7 in Canada.....my tacoma is the bee's knees come snow and slush
Old 01-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #52
Ron4234's Tacoma Gallery
LOL.. here in VT we dial 1911..
Old 01-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #53
SixLugThug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixLugThug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixLugThug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixLugThug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixLugThug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixLugThug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixLugThug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixLugThug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixLugThug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixLugThug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixLugThug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lol! truth be told tho, driver ability, tires and common sense are what get you through winter
Old 01-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #54
Ron4234's Tacoma Gallery
My point exactly! Sadly it seems common sense is the most important, but most lacking...
:/
Old 01-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #55
Chewie is on a distinguished road
Name: Santiago
Chewie's Tacoma Gallery
We just had a "dusting" of snow over the weekend. Was carpooling cause my girl hates the snow. Left the driveway and the roads were fine, went home and jumped in my taco. On the road I lost traction, scared the crud out of me. It was already salted and it wasn't icy, more slushy. Its a '12 with 9k miles and the tires I feel have to be the reason why.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
We just had a "dusting" of snow over the weekend. Was carpooling cause my girl hates the snow. Left the driveway and the roads were fine, went home and jumped in my taco. On the road I lost traction, scared the crud out of me. It was already salted and it wasn't icy, more slushy. Its a '12 with 9k miles and the tires I feel have to be the reason why.
Has to be man. Good excuse for wheels and a set of Duratracs?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #57
Ron4234's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post

seriously? your in New Mexico and talking about driving in snow/slush? No offense, but in Jan your bringing this up? Whats the ambient temp? Or altitude? Have you ever experienced snow with another vehicle? Given your location(I am assuming) it would be more a lack of experience with poor weather conditions than the tires or vehicle of choice. Opinions may vary though..
Old 01-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #59
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
i think mine does awesome, its an 08 so i dont have any of the VSC or TRAC options, but i rarely need 4wd, and feel very stable driving on covered roads. could just be the tires, but other trucks ive had were not this good. when in 4wd, its a tank.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #60
69ktmdude is on a distinguished road
69ktmdude's Tacoma Gallery

Skiing in Flagstaff, AZ last week, works for me.

Products Discussed in this Thread