LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacos in snow, what do you think?

View Poll Results: How does your Taco handle in winter conditions?
Ultimate winter driving machine! 243 39.84%
It's gets me where I am going no problem. Maybe bot the best, but I am happy 305 50.00%
Meh. I have driven better but it is ok. 54 8.85%
It sucks. I would rather drive a motorcycle in the winter. 8 1.31%
Voters: 610. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
Tacos in snow, what do you think?

Seems there have been a lot of posts regarding driving in snow on here lately... so I was curious as to how people feel about their Taco's snow capabilities.

I think mine does just fine in the snow. I run ATs year round and just put it in 4wd for the winter. (the roads are snowy/icey/slushy for 5 months straight) I slow down when the roads are extra slick. It might not be the winter driving machine but it gets me where I am going safe!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
well i have only been in snow one time, and that was with the rugged fails, and i did not have good luck. i did not have extra weight in the bed or anything.

i will have a much better idea come the 19th or maybe the 18th, when i heat up north to see family in western NY. i have 265/75 terra grapplers now and i may add some extra weight on top of my bed mat that is 90 to 100 pounds.(none OEM)
Old 01-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
I love my truck!! I was just up in PA over xmas with that snow storm. Didn't have any problems and used it to help push people out of the way on I68.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
MichelinMan
teamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teamhypoxia's Tacoma Gallery
I was actually really surprised at how well all the wizbang electronics did in the snow.
I took my daughter out to the big empty library parking lot to do some donuts...
Mash on the gas, crank the wheel and... power cuts, I can feel the abs going on individual wheels and I make a nice left turn. Wow, my daughter was very disappointed. So I hit all the buttons and turned everything off and we were able to do some nice donuts and drifting.
I even tried breaking the rear loose going around corners and the best I could do was get the rear to step out maybe a foot before everything kicked in and made me track a nice, right angle turn. I can tell the stock Rugged Fails are not the greatest snow tires, but the truck compensates so well that it almost doesn't matter. I've driven a lot of vehicles in a lot of Colorado winters, and I'm surprised at people complaining about how the tacomas do in the snow. It seems to me that you'd have to be a pretty awful driver to screw up in these trucks.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
I really like the truck and it does not see much snow as even during our coldest month our average low temps are still above freezing. However, I've driven it and previous Tacos in snow and grew up in the upper mid-west (plenty of snow) and the Taco does lack at least compared to my other vehicles. My F250 Powerstroke, with factory size tires, will eat the Taco up on a paved surface covered with snow (and rain for that matter). I'm pretty sure it's due to the extra pounds pressing the tires to a surface with a better coefficient of traction but???
Old 01-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
your what hurts!?!?!?
Boosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud of
Name: Zeb
Boosted TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Mine did just fine in all the snowy conditions I just put it thru...Didnt get any pics as sweet as jberry813 tho. But was in stuff as deep as that.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
TexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud of

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
4runner and Fj would be better due to weight, but taco does just fine getting me where I need to go while still providing a bed to haul stuff.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
KB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant future
KB Voodoo's Tacoma Gallery
I live at a ski resort, and have to climb a very steep dirt road every day to get to my house, usually unplowed with tons of snow on it.

The Taco is very good in deep snow and on snow covered pavement (with Cooper Discoverer STT's).

My former FJ (with Nitto Terra Grapplers) was better all around, but the Taco is still pretty good.

On snow covered pavement, my Audi (with Continental DWS's) blows them both out of the water, but obviously either of the trucks win when the snow is really deep.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
my old corvette handled the snow better than the tacoma. posi makes a world of difference. now snow over 4 inches, the tacoma wins by default due to clearance issues.

tacoma does fine tho with snow tires and a little extra weight in the bed
Old 01-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB Voodoo View Post
I live at a ski resort, and have to climb a very steep dirt road every day to get to my house, usually unplowed with tons of snow on it.

The Taco is very good in deep snow and on snow covered pavement (with Cooper Discoverer STT's).

My former FJ (with Nitto Terra Grapplers) was better all around, but the Taco is still pretty good.

On snow covered pavement, my Audi (with Continental DWS's) blows them both out of the water, but obviously either of the trucks win when the snow is really deep.
nice to hear. FJs do really good with BFG all terrains as well my buddy has a 11 trail team with BFGs and it does good.

also if the audi was the Quattro than yeah it will do much better, it can put 70% of the engines power to one wheels.(any of the 4) my brother had a 03 A4.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #12
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
I really like the truck and it does not see much snow as even during our coldest month our average low temps are still above freezing. However, I've driven it and previous Tacos in snow and grew up in the upper mid-west (plenty of snow) and the Taco does lack at least compared to my other vehicles. My F250 Powerstroke, with factory size tires, will eat the Taco up on a paved surface covered with snow (and rain for that matter). I'm pretty sure it's due to the extra pounds pressing the tires to a surface with a better coefficient of traction but???

More weight=higher coefficient of friction=more traction

BUT

More weight=more momentum forward=takes longer to stop
Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #13
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
back end of my reg cab hops like a bucking retard in deep snow, it is terrible, on the road whatever, it's a reg cab truck and the rear is light.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
KB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant future
KB Voodoo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
nice to hear. FJs do really good with BFG all terrains as well my buddy has a 11 trail team with BFGs and it does good.

also if the audi was the Quattro than yeah it will do much better, it can put 70% of the engines power to one wheels.(any of the 4) my brother had a 03 A4.
It's an '06 A4 3.2 S-line Quattro, 6 speed, of course.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB Voodoo View Post
It's an '06 A4 3.2 S-line Quattro, 6 speed, of course.
nice car! brother bad a some problems out of his. coils or something. idk what all. he has a 4 runner now tho.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #16
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAggie View Post
4runner and Fj would be better due to weight, but taco does just fine getting me where I need to go while still providing a bed to haul stuff.
The FJ's and 4Runners don't weigh that much more than the Tacoma. My double cab has a curb weight around 4,100 - 4,200 lbs, an FJ weighs in at 4,300 lbs and the 4Runner weighs in around 4,600 lbs. Throw some weight in the bed and I've got the FJ beat and damn near the same weight as the 4Runner.

My Tacoma doesn't perform any better or worse than any other 4wd I've owned. I don't have all the fancy electronics, just 4wd and 2 open differentials. I will say that the Tacomas ABS is probably among the worst I've ever experienced though...
Old 01-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #17
TexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud of

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
The FJ's and 4Runners don't weigh that much more than the Tacoma. My double cab has a curb weight around 4,100 - 4,200 lbs, an FJ weighs in at 4,300 lbs and the 4Runner weighs in around 4,600 lbs. Throw some weight in the bed and I've got the FJ beat and damn near the same weight as the 4Runner.

My Tacoma doesn't perform any better or worse than any other 4wd I've owned. I don't have all the fancy electronics, just 4wd and 2 open differentials. I will say that the Tacomas ABS is probably among the worst I've ever experienced though...
I meant weight distribution. Of course you can always throw something in the back, but you don't always have something put back there.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #18
I love snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #19
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAggie View Post
I meant weight distribution. Of course you can always throw something in the back, but you don't always have something put back there.
I got caught in a snow storm a while back without any weight in the bed and I just shoveled snow in bed. If there's snow on the ground, there's always something you could put in the bed
Old 01-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #20
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Stock tires, stock truck, aired down, no weight in bed climbing hills pushing snow

Don't think you could ask for any more "ability".