Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

looking to get new tires this spring

Old 01-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
Compton is on a distinguished road

Name: Cory
Compton's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy looking to get new tires this spring

New taco owner and i would like some advice......
Im currently running my stock rims with winter studs, but come spring i'm looking to replace my regular tires. when i purchased it there was a set of 265/50/r20 nitto dune grapplers that i took off this winter. what im wondering is if i keep the 20 inch rims whats the most aggressive tire i can fit?

Sorry for the dumb question but im just getting into the truck/automotive scene
Old 01-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
HomerLovesFire has a spectacular aura aboutHomerLovesFire has a spectacular aura about

Firefighter: Lieutenant
HomerLovesFire's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure about the complete list of tires that will fit a 20'', but I am pretty sure B F Goodrich does. I had a set on my 98 taco, and they were great for not only off road but regular driving. A little expensive, but I made it 115k on them before I needed to replace them.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Buy some 16 inch wheels. Anything "aggressive" in a 20 inch size will rape your a$$. You could probably buy a new set of wheels and tires in a 16 inch size for the same price of 20 inch tires. Do a search and see what you like. Plenty of info here.

here's a start....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...res-tires.html
Old 01-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
easler24 is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
easler24's Tacoma Gallery
I really like my Hankook Dynapro's in stock size. Just my 2 cents. Nice tires and they don't break the bank.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
cdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
cdthiker's Tacoma Gallery
X2 for the Danapro's

I have ten thousand miles on mine and they are still looking brand new.... on top of that they are amazing in the snow... ok in the mud and have decent highway manners...
guess it depends on what you are looking for
Old 01-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
mirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
mirraman's Tacoma Gallery
I went the cheap route and got a set of Definity Destination ATs: LT285/75/16. After the rebate I was out the door at about $660.

I definitely think you should ditch the 20s. Get some 16s or 17s and some good tires.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
If you want an aggressive tire that works as it should, then you need a smaller wheel. 16" or 17" wheels are much more suitable for a mid size truck and will give you better selection on tires. Sell the 20's to a guy with XRunner...
Old 01-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
MWall is a glorious beacon of lightMWall is a glorious beacon of lightMWall is a glorious beacon of lightMWall is a glorious beacon of lightMWall is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force:
Name: Mark
MWall's Tacoma Gallery
20's are awesome in mall parking lots... aggressiveness will come in handy getting on those curbs! (jk)

If your asking for real advice, it seems the majority will agree, buy some 16" or 17" wheels! It will save you money... and no one will use the term "poser" under their breath
Old 01-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
Compton is on a distinguished road

Name: Cory
Compton's Tacoma Gallery
Yeh i pretty much figured the 20s were gonna be useless, the truck was an obvious pavement princess when i bought it ( 07 with 56,000k and a flawless interior) Looks sharp but i intend on taking it out in the bush and want it to be more functional as a 4x4. Appreciate the insight people Thnx