Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma TRD vs Tacoma Limited 2013

Old 01-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
TacomaLimited13 is on a distinguished road
TacomaLimited13's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma TRD vs Tacoma Limited 2013

Hello Everyone!

I just recently purchased a 2013 Toyota Tacoma Limited Edition! I'm really excited, I have owned a 1998 Toyota Tacoma TRD Limited in the past and totaled it so I bought this truck. My question is what is the real difference in suspension from the TRD off road vs the Limited Edition's Suspension in the 2013 models? The salesperson just kept telling me that the Limited Edition's do not come with the bilstein shocks and other things. What are these "other things" he didn't really know. So I'm asking all of you to help me out because I may add some of these suspension differences to my limited edition in the future!!!! Thanks
Old 01-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #2
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaLimited13 View Post
Hello Everyone!

I just recently purchased a 2013 Toyota Tacoma Limited Edition! I'm really excited, I have owned a 1998 Toyota Tacoma TRD Limited in the past and totaled it so I bought this truck. My question is what is the real difference in suspension from the TRD off road vs the Limited Edition's Suspension in the 2013 models? The salesperson just kept telling me that the Limited Edition's do not come with the bilstein shocks and other things. What are these "other things" he didn't really know. So I'm asking all of you to help me out because I may add some of these suspension differences to my limited edition in the future!!!! Thanks
its just the bilstein shocks and off road/sport coils youre missing out on... they are a HUGE difference from the shit you are running, trust me. thats about it for suspension though. if youre going to add to your suspension, get a set of bilstein 5100 adjustable struts and shocks, for like 380 bucks its a great upgrade! AND you can choose to lift up to 2.5" in the future if you want to
Old 01-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #3
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
TacomaLimited13,

You did not miss out on too much suspension wise. The Bilstiens that are on TRDs are built to Toyota specs(better known as crap) and should not be confused with Bilstien 4600s or 5100s (the good ones and the ones you want).
Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
5100 shocks and struts

Thanks, that's it! Can you recommend where to get these parts ?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:25 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
TacomaLimited13,

You did not miss out on too much suspension wise. The Bilstiens that are on TRDs are built to Toyota specs(better known as crap) and should not be confused with Bilstien 4600s or 5100s (the good ones and the ones you want).
Hey wolftree,

Any recommendations on what my first upgrade should be ? I was thinking getting the shocks and a supercharger!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
TacomaLimited13,

Downsouth Motorsports (California), a vendor here at Tacoma World offers the best price that I have found. As a member of Tacoma World you are eligible for a discount from them and they ship free. Look for Member discounts, RCD discounts, etc. They have the shocks made for them by Bilstien and pass on the savings to us. I recently paid $300 for a set of 5100s from them. The difference in handling was tremendous over factory shocks.

I heartily recommend the shocks as a first mod, they so affect your overall driving in every way, ride, cornering, bumps.

DO NOT TRY CHANGING THE FRONT STRUTS / SHOCKS YOURSELF WITHOUT THOROUGH READING AND A SPRING COMPRESSOR. I do not mean some cobbled up comressor either.You can get your head tore off.

I have no real knowledge about supercharging other than it is expensive, $4000-5000 and well beyond my budget.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
First of all I would not call the TRD bilstiens crap, but the 5100 are better. With what you got I would go for the 5100s if you wish to upgrade your suspension, but keep in mind it will give you a tighter stiffer ride. If it were me I would drive yours as is for a little while to see how it rides and if you want it to be stiffer. If you like a smoother ride you should stick with what you got for now.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
B11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
B11's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry but no TRD Supercharger for the 2013 as of yet. I've talked to TRD twice in the last 10days and they have no clue as to when their SC kit will be available for the 2013's. Booooo!!
Old 07-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
DiRtYIsF is on a distinguished road
Name: Thomas
DiRtYIsF's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Trd supercharger

Just so you know I wouldn't buy another supercharger from TRD, there a waste of money. I've had two Tacoma's both were supercharged. It cost me 5.5k to have Toyota to put it on for me just for the extended warranty. But for the performance, I all out was barely quicker the a stock 11. I also had the TRD intake and cat back exhaust. It was good for one thing tho. And that's the sound you get. Other than that don't waste your money I would look into other means of forced induction. For gain in performance. I just went and got me a IsF.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
So to make sure I understand this correctly, the Limited is the highest and most expensive trim and it does not even come with TRD suspension?
Old 07-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #11
Toms Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Navy: VA-75
Toms Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten View Post
So to make sure I understand this correctly, the Limited is the highest and most expensive trim and it does not even come with TRD suspension?
That is correct!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #12
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
First mods I would do are real leather and 5100s
Old 07-21-2013, 04:53 AM   #13
pgtr will become famous soon enough
pgtr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten View Post
Somewhat apples to oranges. Limited is luxury packaging, not OR packaging.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #14
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms Tacoma View Post
That is correct!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtr View Post
Somewhat apples to oranges. Limited is luxury packaging, not OR packaging.
I thought of it more as a Sport with 18" wheels, premium sound, heated leather and chrome accents. I was just surprised to learn it rides on SR5 suspension since it is the top trim. There are very few of them around my area so far. I checked Toyota's website, so I understand the differences now.

OP: It is a very nice truck. Enjoy!