Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

is this dealer bs or is it true

Old 01-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
DBTaco is on a distinguished road
DBTaco's Tacoma Gallery
is this dealer bs or is it true

I bought my truck about 3 weeks ago and it only came with one key so yday after work I went to the local Toyota dealer and gave him my vin number and he looked in the computer and said he couldn't find a replacement remote for my truck. He said your truck must didn't come with one. I was like really? So I left and came home and called another dealer about 20 miles away and he said he showed one but didn't know if I have the module or whatever already installed and I would need for a technician to look at it. He also said some Tacoma's didn't come with one. Does anyone know if this is BS or is it poor dealerships? I had keyless entry on my 05 silverado HD ls trim. Why wouldn't a 08 Tacoma sr5 Trd off road be stock with keyless entry?
Old 01-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
my 05 trd offroad had the remote, should be part of the sr5 convenient package.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
DBTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Used from a Chevrolet dealership. They only had one key to give me.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
diesel30 is on a distinguished road

diesel30's Tacoma Gallery
it came with one. you should be able to go to any toyota dealer and order one if not in stock, would be surprised if they don't have them in stock since it's the same remote all the way up to 2012's if not the 13's too. then they just have to program it. they were probably just trying to cover their butts in case you had a base truck that didn't come with one from the factory.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
DBTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Wouldn't the vin number tell them exactly which model Tacoma I have? Does anyone know where the factory module is? I've got some kind of aftermarket remote start or keyless entry BC of a remote antenna double sided taped to my windshield. Just would prefer a factory remote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna tacoma View Post
Wouldn't the vin number tell them exactly which model Tacoma I have? Does anyone know where the factory module is? I've got some kind of aftermarket remote start or keyless entry BC of a remote antenna double sided taped to my windshield. Just would prefer a factory remote
Sounds like some aftermarket crap. I would not want some shit stuck to my window...
Old 01-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #8
diesel30 is on a distinguished road

diesel30's Tacoma Gallery
you would think the vin would decode it. all trd's come with them. sounds like you got a parts guy that isn't that smart or is just lazy and didn't look it up at all or he's both. i'd probably try to find a different dealer.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Your truck came with keyless entry from the factory. Get a fob off Ebay and there is a process to program it to your truck. Your Owner's Manual should tell you how to reprogram a keyless entry fob or search this site for instructions.

I would be a little concerned with whatever aftermarket alarm or keyless entry system was installed. On past vehicles my parents have owned, when an aftermarket alarm or remote start was installed, you could no longer use the factory remotes, you needed to use the ones that came with the kit.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
Feed him a hammer, he'd crap out nails.
Dark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dark_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
This is what I would try......fuck messing with the dealer.
ebay Key FOB

1. Start with the key out of the ignition, drivers door is open all others closed and
drivers door is unlocked.

2. Perform these steps within 5 seconds.
A. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.
B. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.

3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Close then open the drivers door.
B. Close then open the drivers door.
C. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.

4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Close then open the drivers door.
B. Close then open the drivers door.
C. Insert the key into ignition and leave it in ignition.
D. Close the drivers door.
E. Turn the ignition to ON (Do NOT Start) then back to OFF.
F. Remove the key from the ignition.

5. Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should lock then unlock automatically
indicating successful entry into programming mode.
Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the remtoe simutaneously for 1.5 seconds.
B. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons,
Press the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door
locks should lock and then unlock once indicating successful programming. If
the door locks cycle twice, repeat steps A and B in step 6 as the remote was
not accepted.
C. Repeat steps A and B in step 6 for each new remote.

7. Open drivers door.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:38 AM   #11
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
The VIN will decode and tell the parts person exactly what you have from the factory. It will not however show anything that was a "dealer" option.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #12
DBTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Your truck came with keyless entry from the factory. Get a fob off Ebay and there is a process to program it to your truck. Your Owner's Manual should tell you how to reprogram a keyless entry fob or search this site for instructions.

I would be a little concerned with whatever aftermarket alarm or keyless entry system was installed. On past vehicles my parents have owned, when an aftermarket alarm or remote start was installed, you could no longer use the factory remotes, you needed to use the ones that came with the kit.
How or who would probably need to take the aftermarket crap out? I'm sure they had to disconnect some wires and attach to another wire from the kit.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #13
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How or who would probably need to take the aftermarket crap out? I'm sure they had to disconnect some wires and attach to another wire from the kit.
To be honest, I have no idea because it really depends on what it is. The fobs are cheap enough, I'd get an OEM fob, go through the process of programming it to your truck and see if it works. If what you have is in fact a remote start system, it will be tied into your ignition, your door locks and who knows what else. To remove it not knowing how it was wired could cause more problems than it's worth.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #14
bigperm34 is on a distinguished road
bigperm34's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 02 tacoma with the sr5 package and I was told the same thing when I went to the dealership. It didn't make sense to me why it wouldn't with auto locks already.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #15
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
"Take the aftermarket crap out..." ????

You are probably going to get banned for uttering those words on here.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
"Take the aftermarket crap out..." ????

You are probably going to get banned for uttering those words on here.

Not if the aftermarket stuff is crap. Nothing wrong with keeping a nice, stock looking Tacoma
Old 01-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #17
DBTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Not all aftermarket stuff is crap. I just don't understand why the previous owner took the factory keyless out and replaced it. That's why I said this aftermarket is crap
Old 01-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #18
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Used from a Chevrolet dealership. They only had one key to give me.
That is why, I got mine used from a Hyundai dealership, and it came with one key, and one remote, and no keys for the hard topper. I had to get another key made (by Toyota) for $100+ and the remote I got off eBay. ANd the hard topper manufacturer let me order new keys, since I had the serial number and lock/tumbler number. Sucked, but I got a killer deal on my truck, so it wasnt too much to deal with.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #19
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not all aftermarket stuff is crap. I just don't understand why the previous owner took the factory keyless out and replaced it. That's why I said this aftermarket is crap

I was just joking around about some of nice vehicle mods that get advertised and pictured heavily on this site.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #20
DBTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
I was just joking around about some of nice vehicle mods that get advertised and pictured heavily on this site.

I didn't take it personal, I want to put certain aftermarket items on my truck as time and money allows.