1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who has owned a 1st Gen and a 2nd Gen Tacoma?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mlittle, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Feb 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM
    Good351

Good351 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ames, IA
    Vehicle:
    03 4Runner V8
    I had a 99 TRD OR. I'd still be driving it if Toyota would not have bought it back. I loved the manual trans and transfer, and the option to run 15" wheels. The slightly smaller size was not an issue for me. I pulled some heavy loads with it, and it never complained. Every spring I would clean the MAF, TB and install new plugs. That 3.4 ran like a champ!

The gen II I have now is nice, I like the 4.0 power, and the auto trans is great for an auto. If it had a manual transfer and a little more torque it would be perfect.

Both are great in my book.

2. Feb 12, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    aubi1414

aubi1414 War Eagle!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport Blue Ribbon Metallic
    LED Dome, LED Map, LED License Plate Bulbs, , Konig SixShooters Matte Black, Toyo Open Country ATII's 285 70 17, Satoshi, Bilstein 5100s (set to 0), 885s, LR UCA's, Icon RR 2.0 +2, All Pro Standard 3" Leaf Pack, All Pro Flip Kit, Sway Bar Relocate, Exhaust Chop, Antenna X 14", Debadged, Tint, Matt123 Black TRD Skid, Black Weathertech Mats
    I had the first model 95.5 tacoma extended cab3.4l V6. I knew all the ends and outs of that truck like it was the back of my hand. I just purchased my 2010 Sport TRD last year. The 4.0 has almost 60hp more and much roomier than the old model. I had an had automatic on both.

3. Feb 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM
    FrisbieTacoma

FrisbieTacoma Active Member

Member:
    MO
    Vehicle:
    Lifted TRD
    Toytec BK0510 lift, 16x8 Mickey Thompson Classic II, 285/75/16 BFG AT, Clarion NX501, Ballistic seat covers, Weathertech floor mats
    87 Reg Cab 22R 4x4 rust bucket
    00 Reg Cab 4cyl 4x4
    00 Acc Cab 6cyl 4x4
    Current 11 Acc Cab MGM OR

4. Mar 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM
    GetBarelled

GetBarelled √ Back in a Taco again √

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    SF Bay
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR 4x4
    Billy 5100's all around. Otherwise, the truck is OLD and STOCK.
    If you are doing this because your 1st gen is your daily driver, and you want a better diving experience with more power, then maybe so. But if you are looking to replace your weekend off-roader, don't let it go. It seems Toyota built the 1st gens too good, and we all know that sustainability is NOT part of a corporation's economic model.

Company success doesn't always translate to a good product.

I had a 97 V6 Taco and sold it at 270k to get a 2nd gen. Big regrets. The 2nd gen 6-spd gearbox is shit compared to the 5-spd. The 2nd gens have computerized throttle response, instead of the older analog cable throttle. The paint is weak on the 2nd gens. There is a computerized throttle-hang when driving the manual transmission, too. Excessive cases of wheel bearings going out prematurely. It seems 2nd gen brake rotors warp easier due to heat transfer. Many problems with excessive rust on the 2nd gen chassis. Steering/clock spring breaks frequently... I could go on and on... Improper designs for longevity throughout the 2nd gen.

Don't even get me started on the throwout bearing problems..

5. Mar 12, 2013 at 2:28 PM
    dboz

dboz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Access Literider Tonneau, GO RHINO Dominator II side steps
    2nd Gen is a huge upgrade as a daily driver over my 1st Gen. I would not go back. 1st gen was too small and I hated the shallow depth of the bed.

6. Mar 12, 2013 at 5:07 PM
    nathan3306

nathan3306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Charleston AFB, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 DC 4X4
    miss my 02 DC SR5 4x4 everyday... it was just all around the perfect size with enough power to do just about anything.

My 06 V6 DCSB 4x4 was a really nice upgrade but driving it the way I did the fuel economy sucked. I could not stand the transmission in it. I hated how it would not coast to a stop and the overall way it shifted. Wasn't a fan of the plastic bed either. It got scratched all to heck hauling things around. Didn't really miss that truck when I traded for my F-150.

Now I'm back in the 12 taco, well the wife has the new truck. I feels exactly like my 06 but the interior is far superior than that of the 06 sport. Now that we drive this truck like a normal person, the tranny seems to shift better and coast more. I know it's always learning but I'm still not a fan huge fan of it. Now shifting up through the tranny is as smooth as silk. I also do not like the way the 4.0 sounds like a dieing diesel and idles like an unbalanced washing machine.

Over all not a bad choice either way but to this day I would kill to have my perfect 1st gen. White DC 4x4 trd off road "stock" with the gray interior. Not a fan of the tan interior because the plastic pieces wore the paint off areas.

7. Mar 13, 2013 at 3:59 AM
    mlittle

mlittle [OP] T O Y O T A

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Fort Sill, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4
    I'm looking to replace mine as a daily driver. I'm not looking for an off-road truck although I may try some trails sometime. Ultimately, I'm looking for something with more interior room and comfort. The extra power would be nice, but I currently don't tow anything. I may get a 4-wheeler or side-x-side, so I may need to tow an enclosed trailer at some point. I have a lot on my wish list for items outside my Tacoma, so I need to prioritize.

Since the truck is paid off with fairly low miles for a Toyota (106k), I may end of keeping it and putting a little money into it to dress it up. I would like to get new wheels. My tires will need to replaced soon, so now is a good time to buy wheels. Should I stay with 16" wheels or upgrade to 17" wheels? I would like to get Hankook Dyna Pro M/T's or something similar. Thoughts/recommendations?

8. Mar 13, 2013 at 5:35 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    As far as fuel economy the best I ever did on fuel was 23MPG with my old 1997 2.7 and the best I have done with the 2011 4L was 21.7 MPG with half again the power. The main reason I got rid of the old one was age and at 285K it was getting a little long in the tooth.

9. Mar 13, 2013 at 6:16 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    106000 is still pretty low for a 1st gen, I traded mine in at 185,000 and it was mainly because I needed something with more cabin space. Like others said, if you do decide you want the double cab space you'll be happier if you get the 4.0 engine. Even if you don't tow anything it's still nice to have the extra passing power. My little 2.7 was fine around town but getting up to speed on the highway was always an effort.

10. Mar 13, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    mlittle

mlittle [OP] T O Y O T A

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Fort Sill, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4
    If I get another Tacoma, I'll be sticking with the double cab. I have two kids, so I need the cabin space. I would like to get a long bed just so I have extra bed space too. I hate to get rid of my truck, but there seems to be a lot of benefits with the 2nd gen.

11. Mar 14, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    Jaws9760

Jaws9760 Active Member

Member:
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2013 V6 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport MagGrey
    Bed liner shovel mount, head rest vertical rifle mount, console .380 holster. Tailgate hose clamps & washers. Green LED dome light, Disabled seat belt chime.
    I got my DCLB 2wks ago and I'm in love. I drove an '88 SR5 in HS and I still get misty and nostalgic over it but I'm really digging the 2013.

I'm not an off-roader but my driveway is 3/4 mile dirt road (which really needs to be graded) and I drive a lot of dirt roads hunting. I've been impressed with the taco so far. I was worried it would feel longer than a wagon track but I've had good luck turning it around in the back country, don't really need a J-hole, it's still a small pickup.

I agree with you about the long bed, I'm already going to have to put the tailgate down to haul my four-wheel, can't imagine having a short bed.

I'm digging the Bluetooth but a lot of the other modern stuff is annoying. I don't like the seat belt chime, the giant key w/ a chip in it, the giant key fob. I miss the manual transmission but I can't gripe about the 2013, it's a nice automatic w/ a lot of get-up-and-go. I don't think you'd regret switching but what you've got currently is a hell of a lot nicer than the plow truck I used to drive :)

Products Discussed in

To Top