1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine Won't Start... HELP!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Chad, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Jan 3, 2013 at 1:48 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Sounds like it. I guess I was lucky, had the factory battery on my '06 just die last month.

2. Jan 3, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    Chad

Chad [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    Got a new battery, still won't start.

Guess it's back to square 1 again.

3. Jan 3, 2013 at 2:08 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    starter?

4. Jan 3, 2013 at 2:10 PM
    themuffinman619

themuffinman619 Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Member:
    First Name:
    themuffinman
    Vehicle:
    Your moms house
    Check fuses? :notsure:

5. Jan 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM
    Chad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    First thing I did. Everything that was related to the engine starting all looked fine.

6. Jan 3, 2013 at 4:05 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Starter solenoid

7. Jan 3, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    cheech1

cheech1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, HI
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Off Road
    Been there, done that. It does work. I used to park my 1st gen on an incline if possible (manual tranny) and carry a hammer in case of no-start. When I could afford it, bought a new starter, and installed myself, so easy.

8. Jan 3, 2013 at 7:06 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    not brushes?

9. Jan 3, 2013 at 7:10 PM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    try a different key

10. Jan 3, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    92sivic

92sivic IM SPECIAL!

Member:

11. Jan 3, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    Vstrom30

Vstrom30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Access Cab 4x4
    I would expect to hear a single "click" from the starter if the contacts in it are bugared up. Another thing to try is shifting the truck to neutral and then try starting. Keep your foot on the brake or set the park brake while doing this. Every so often, the park position in the neutral-safety switch won't make a contact so it can create a situation like this. Other possibilities could be a bad start switch on the back of the ignition cylinder housing, a bad starter relay, or even a corroded battery terminal. Maybe try rapidly bumping the start position with the key several times in case it's a bad switch. This can sometimes clean the contacts within the switch.

12. Jan 3, 2013 at 8:10 PM
    Chad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Would this work if the engine itself isn't even turning over?

Maybe, but wouldn't you be able to hear it try to engage?

I would, but I left my other key in my dorm room 2 hours away.

13. Jan 3, 2013 at 8:20 PM
    Vstrom30

Vstrom30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Access Cab 4x4
    I don't think it would be a key. It will still crank with a bad or non programmed key, it would just cut fuel and spark.

14. Jan 3, 2013 at 8:23 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Heh, would hook you up, but I moved to Durham about 1.5 years back :\

15. Jan 3, 2013 at 8:25 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Sounds like a starter issue by the way. If the electrical in the truck is working, your battery should be good, unless the voltage has dropped below a threshold to power the starter. Just an FYI, powering the starter to turn crank the motor until petrol takes over is about the most electrically intense thing vehicles do, so long as there's no winch being used. Your battery may have enough voltage to power accessories but not crank.

Edit: just read rest of thread.

Take a look at the alternator. If you got a new battery and it shit out again, means it's most likely not charging while you're driving.

16. Jan 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM
    Chad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    I got a new battery earlier (thought it was time for a new one anyways, rigged machine at autozone said it was bad so why not) and it's doing the same thing. When I turn the key to start the radio turns off which tells me that it at least knows I want it to start. Probably getting it towed to a place in the morning, we'll see what they say. Don't think its an alternator since the battery should be fully charged since it's new, or at least charged enough to start it the first time.

ETA: the dude at autozone said the battery had charge, which also makes me think the alternator is okay.

17. Jan 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Yes and no. If the alt is completely dead, then your vehicle is going to pull battery power to run all your electrical accessories, lights, and spark while driving. This can drop your voltage below crank level pretty quick. A healthy battery should be doing 12.x volts. Anything below 11.5 probably won't crank.

That does drop it down the priority list.

If it were me and I were prioritizing I'd go:

1) Starter Solenoid
    2) Starter Brushes
    3) Alternator

One last thing too - how are you battery terminals? Sometimes if they're a bit corroded, that can result in poor connection quality and a no-start. A quick test is to head out to your vehicle, wiggle the terminals on the battery posts some, and see if it cranks.

18. Jan 3, 2013 at 8:41 PM
    Chad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Wouldn't the solenoid at least make a noise like it was trying to engage? When I turn the key no noise is coming from the engine bay area at all.
    Battery terminals look just like they do from day one. Even took the connectors off and put them back on again and still nothing changed.

19. Jan 3, 2013 at 8:52 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Not if it's fucked. The solenoid may not be engaging consistently, and that may be your problem.

Check on the Big Three first, then start to look for stranger mysteries if none of those pan out. Diagnosis is largely a matter of forming a list of possibilities and then ruling things out. We do it the same way in medicine.

20. Jan 3, 2013 at 8:54 PM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    :poking: Does that hurt? What happens when I touch right there? No, nothing? How about this?

Products Discussed in

To Top