Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Door Sill Protectors worth it?

Old 01-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
jaymay82 is on a distinguished road
jaymay82's Tacoma Gallery
Door Sill Protectors worth it?

I am thinking of getting the OEM Toyota door sill protectors. How do they fare? Do they peel or are they durable for everyday activity?
Old 01-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
the OEM ones are purty but worthless.

they fail to protect the sill edge...where most of the wear occurs.

get the AVS ones. inexpensive, easy to install...and they wrap down over the sill edge.

do a search here...lots-O-pics
Old 01-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Jbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joshua
Jbcm12's Tacoma Gallery
I only bought mine because they say TACOMA on them...
Old 01-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
MGM Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
MGM Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Any pics of the avs ones installed?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
the OEM ones are purty but worthless.

they fail to protect the sill edge...where most of the wear occurs.
I just noticed this today! Mine came with the factory ones.

I once bought a F250 from a farmer and the driver's sill looked like bare polished steel with feather-edged paint around it from him getting in and out so much.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
Door Sill Protector Man!
G Tek Fab is a splendid one to beholdG Tek Fab is a splendid one to beholdG Tek Fab is a splendid one to beholdG Tek Fab is a splendid one to beholdG Tek Fab is a splendid one to beholdG Tek Fab is a splendid one to beholdG Tek Fab is a splendid one to behold
G Tek Fab's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Wrap around door sill protection

Just the thread I'm looking for!

My name is Greg and I've been doing a line of "wrap over the edge" door sill protectors for the 2007+ Tundras for just about 6 years now and recently someone came to me about doing them for 1st and 2nd gen Tacomas.

I fabbed up some prototypes and sent them out to him and he said they fit perfect. I later found they needed some minor tweaking.

I'm now looking to send a few more sets to some Tacoma owners to make sure these do in fact have a satisfactory fit.

If all works out I will be looking to become a TacomaWorld site vendor.

Here's what I have for the Tundra. I've done tons of these for tundra owners.

16gauge diamond plate and non diamond plate aluminum powder coated "Carbide Texture Black".

They install with strips of 3M acrylic foam tape same stuff used to attach badges and emblems.

Mods.. I'm not looking to sell these until I procure vendor status. I'm just looking for figment subjects. Thanks!
Sorry about the monster pics.

Raw aluminum finish. Color match them, Line-X them, or just leave them raw.

NEW! Non Diamond Plate Carbide Texture Black!

2007+ Tundra Regular Cab.

07+ Regular Cab Tundra in Super White, Carbide Texture Black, and Non Diamond Plate Carbide Texture Black!

Old 12-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
Mmmmm, bacon
OffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OffsetPlayer2's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be interested in those Carbide black ones. Those look pretty sweet. The previous owner on my truck climbed in and out a lot it seems and actually wore the paint down on the edge.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
Chris b.
western88 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
western88's Tacoma Gallery
^ 2x same thing here...
Old 12-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
I'd like some raw one's for thr DC
Old 12-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
I'd rock those in the black coated diamond plate. Seems like these sell well over on tundrageek but do they show any signs of rubbage or anything of that nature near the edges over time?
Old 12-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I bought some from g-tech for the Tundra. They where great. Looked good.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
Door Sill Protector Man!
G Tek Fab is a splendid one to beholdG Tek Fab is a splendid one to beholdG Tek Fab is a splendid one to beholdG Tek Fab is a splendid one to beholdG Tek Fab is a splendid one to beholdG Tek Fab is a splendid one to beholdG Tek Fab is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdevTac View Post
I'd rock those in the black coated diamond plate. Seems like these sell well over on tundrageek but do they show any signs of rubbage or anything of that nature near the edges over time?
Rubbage on the DSP itself or the vehicle edge under the DSP?

These are powder coated with a textured material so they will hold up better and longer than the stock paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheadesw View Post
I'd like some raw one's for thr DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by western88 View Post
^ 2x same thing here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffsetPlayer2 View Post
I'd be interested in those Carbide black ones. Those look pretty sweet. The previous owner on my truck climbed in and out a lot it seems and actually wore the paint down on the edge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheadesw View Post
Yeah, I bought some from g-tech for the Tundra. They where great. Looked good.
Awesome thanks! ^^^

Guys I'm not selling these here now as I'm not a valid site vendor but I would like to send some sets out to you guys for fitment. Just pay for shipping. Of course you would be able to keep them too.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
Mmmmm, bacon
OffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffsetPlayer2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OffsetPlayer2's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be willing to pay for shipping, assuming it's not like $50 or anything. Are these ready for test or are you still sort of getting measurements and all that good stuff?

I think they would sale pretty well up here. Good luck getting this setup and being able to become a vendor.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #15
Raddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Russell
Raddbus's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be interested in the Non Diamond Plate Carbide Texture Black for a DCSB.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #16
Door Sill Protector Man!
We'll I believe the DC would require 20" for the front and 16" for the rear doors. I'll have a batch of these ready to go by the end of next week.

I could use some length measurements on other cab configurations.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #17
knine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 4th Fighter Wing
knine00's Tacoma Gallery
I have the oem ones. They work pretty good. If I didn't have them my dogs with scratch the crap out of them!
Old 12-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
spieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

spieler's Tacoma Gallery
Id be interested in being a guinea pig for ya, and I have a Double Cab 2013. Could u have them powdercoated white as my Taco is Snowy?
Old 12-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #19
Lordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Lordaca's Tacoma Gallery
I am also interested. I would like the Non Diamond Plate Carbide Texture Black. Where do we sign up to pay for shipping?
Old 12-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
Door Sill Protector Man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spieler View Post
Id be interested in being a guinea pig for ya, and I have a Double Cab 2013. Could u have them powdercoated white as my Taco is Snowy?
The white powder coat I use is a match to the Tundras "super white". How close is that to the Tacoma color, or is the tacoma same color as the tundra?