Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Question about buying a car with Lien title

Old 01-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #21
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gincoma View Post
Why? People have to pay for taxes and registration in there respective state regarless if its new or used or from another state. Why would anyone sell a vehicle in there right mind consider ones taxes and registration. Its unheard of unless there family.
X2. In Arizona the seller keeps the license and paid registration to put towards your next set of tags. So even if the registration is good and I sell you a vehicle, I keep the plates and you have to purchase new ones for yourself
Old 01-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #22
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Here you go op
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm
Old 01-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #23
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
X2. In Arizona the seller keeps the license and paid registration to put towards your next set of tags. So even if the registration is good and I sell you a vehicle, I keep the plates and you have to purchase new ones for yourself
It would be simple if he was buying a car already registered here.. I'm just saying why not negotiate a lower price because the seller was too lazy to register his car here like he was supposed to 2 years ago (although he probably didn't do it because it can be expensive).. and now there are more fees than if the seller had just registered it here like he was supposed to and then sold it. The fact that he lives in the state in is trying to sell the car without doing it first already puts a red flag up for me.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #24
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
What difference does the lien make it sure sounds like a finance lien once the thing is paid off you get a title with no lien and then you register the truck with a clean new title. I sure would advise sitting in front of the loan officer when there is money exchanged.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #25
cheech1 is on a distinguished road
cheech1's Tacoma Gallery
And if you finance the truck, your lending institution will now have a lien on the truck.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #26
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareefer View Post
Hi im looking to buy the 2007 tacoma that i have a few questions about before i buy. Im hoping that some people might have some insight on how to do the transaction. I live in California and the car is located here. The owner originally bought the car CPO from Toyota in Oregon. He is the 2nd owner and moved to cali 2 years ago but did not register the car. Now he wants to sell the car but the car still has a loan / lien on it. Toyota Financial still owns the car. questions i have are:

1.what is the best and safest way to purchase the car since i will be paying off the car for him first and plan on having a bill of sale, power of attorney form, lien satisfied/legal owner/title holder release form all going to be signed and notarized. he will then give car over to me and we will wait for the title to go to him and then sign it over to me.

2. the car is from oregon and i will need to register it in cali. any fees i need to know about or problems with registering the car, smog. etc.

Thanks in advance for any input would be great. i just want to make sure im protected. anything i should get from him?
The lien is not the problem.
You get paperwork from the bank and write a joint check.
The bank cashes the check, releases the title to you, and gives the seller the change.

The way you are proposing to execute the sale leaves you wide open for problems... namely, he gets the title from the bank and then calls the cops claiming that you stole the truck.
If the guy has half a brain, you won't get a PoA... ANYONE who signs one of those in a private party transaction is a fool.

The problem is the registration.
California does not take kindly to people not registering their vehicles, and there very well may be a secondary lien on the title by the DMV that the bank is unaware of and will need to be cleared before you can take title.
Registration fees plus penalties can exceed $1000.

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #27
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hi im looking to buy the 2007 tacoma that i have a few questions about before i buy. Im hoping that some people might have some insight on how to do the transaction. I live in California and the car is located here. The owner originally bought the car CPO from Toyota in Oregon. He is the 2nd owner and moved to cali 2 years ago but did not register the car. Now he wants to sell the car but the car still has a loan / lien on it. Toyota Financial still owns the car. questions i have are:

1.what is the best and safest way to purchase the car since i will be paying off the car for him first and plan on having a bill of sale, power of attorney form, lien satisfied/legal owner/title holder release form all going to be signed and notarized. he will then give car over to me and we will wait for the title to go to him and then sign it over to me.

2. the car is from oregon and i will need to register it in cali. any fees i need to know about or problems with registering the car, smog. etc.

Thanks in advance for any input would be great. i just want to make sure im protected. anything i should get from him?

Find another truck.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #28
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
a lein is diff than the remaining balance on his financing.
*edit*.. i think.. lol
Yes and no.

Yes, remaining balance is a lien.

No, remaining balance is not the only lien.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #29
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
The bank cashes the check, releases the title to you, and gives the seller the change.

The way you are proposing to execute the sale leaves you wide open for problems... namely, he gets the title from the bank and then calls the cops claiming that you stole the truck.
If the guy has half a brain, you won't get a PoA... ANYONE who signs one of those in a private party transaction is a fool.

California does not take kindly to people not registering their vehicles, and there very well may be a secondary lien on the title by the DMV that the bank is unaware of and will need to be cleared before you can take title.

Well said! That is why I said to run.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #30
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post

Good advice. I'll bet most everyone here has (or had) a lien on a vehicle. Something worth remembering is that when you pay off an auto loan, you should have the lien removed from the title. It's not always done automatically, and an old lien can create a snag when you decide to sell the vehicle years later.

OP, the only way I'd bother with this truck would be for the owner to bring the registration current in California before purchase. Interstate transfers can be a real PITA, and as the purchaser, that really shouldn't be a pain in your ass. If the seller won't agree to that, move on. There are lots of Tacomas for sale without lien and registration issues.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #31
bareefer is on a distinguished road
Name: Frank
bareefer's Tacoma Gallery
THANKS VERY HELPFUL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoup4You View Post
Here is a fee calculator from CA DMV for importing cars from other states: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculator...esidentForm.do
Old 01-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #32
SORRY I THOUGHT LIEN WAS THE SAME AS LOAN. HE HAS A LOAN ONLY DOES THAT MAKE A DIFFERENCE

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
if he has a lein on it, it means he screwed someone out of money they were owed.. what makes you think he wouldnt do that to you.. i would walk.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #33
taczilla is on a distinguished road

Name: Marc
taczilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

SORRY EVERYONE I MUST HAVE GOT THEM CONFUSED THE CAR IS FINANCED THRU TOYOTA AND I THOUGHT LIEN WAS THE SAME THING.
I don't know what your financial stuation is that you have such a hard-on for this truck, but on the deal...

.. and if you wanna go down the toilet.

Why fuckin' bother? We build them every day.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #34
Do you know if tere are any fees i have to pay since he didnt reg. the car for 2 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
It would be simple if he was buying a car already registered here.. I'm just saying why not negotiate a lower price because the seller was too lazy to register his car here like he was supposed to 2 years ago (although he probably didn't do it because it can be expensive).. and now there are more fees than if the seller had just registered it here like he was supposed to and then sold it. The fact that he lives in the state in is trying to sell the car without doing it first already puts a red flag up for me.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #35
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Do you know if tere are any fees i have to pay since he didnt reg. the car for 2 years?
Yes.

2 years worth of registration plus fees.
Then add title transfer plus the 2013 registration.

Seller is liable for smog check... smog place will require current registration to process it.
No tags, no smog, no sale.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #36
2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
2ski4life7's Tacoma Gallery
There are definintely going to be fees from the DMV. The reason he never registered it was pry because he paid no sales tax in oregon when he bought the vehicle. CA will make you pay that sales tax. Plus if its known the vehicle was in CA and not registered for 2 years they can charge you up the wazoo. I was late 3 days and they charged me 100 bucks.

Like some have said, make him register it in CA then go to the bank and pay the bank and get the title. Otherwise find another truck. There are plenty this one can't be that awesome.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #37
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
SORRY I THOUGHT LIEN WAS THE SAME AS LOAN. HE HAS A LOAN ONLY DOES THAT MAKE A DIFFERENCE

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Yes, if there's a loan on the truck, there's almost certainly a lien on it. A lien is in place to make sure that whatever comes of the truck, the lender/creditor/etc. has a claim on it until they're paid off. The lien keeps a guy from Oregon from selling a truck with a loan on it to a guy in California and pocketing all of the money. Once Mr. Oregon pays off that loan, the lien is released, and the truck will have a clear title.

I don't know the exact language CA uses, but there could be a tax lien against the truck, and other fees associated with it (sales tax, title transfer fees, state inspection fees, etc.). Like I said, unless the seller has a clear title and current CA registration, don't bother with this truck.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #38
Never take the bait

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Also, you'll want to make sure the truck isn't 49 state legal and that's the reason he never registered it here.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Also, you'll want to make sure the truck isn't 49 state legal and that's the reason he never registered it here.
2007 and over 7500 miles covers that.
All California cares about now is that it has all of it's Federal equipment and passes Fed standards.

And their money.

No registration, no smog.
No smog, no title.

Seller will likely try to get the buyer to take care of smog.
Don't do it. I've been fucked HARD accepting that responsibility.