Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bumper build

Old 01-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #41
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! I like it.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #42
TRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
If anyone ever questioned the cost of a plate bumper, here's my break down, for steel, welding wire, cutting and grinding discs (the cheap ones) I'm in for about $300, and it will be over 30hours labour when I'm finished so if I were to charge $40/hr (that would be cheap) that's another $1200, plus DIY paint for about $50, for a total of $1550, so when your getting a professionally built bumper for under $1000 it's a good deal, and I'm sure there not using cutting discs, plasma cutters and metal breaks save time but there expensive, companies have employees, rent, and lots of overhead to pay and DIY never looks as good
Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #43
TRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
Well we're supposed to get hit with a lot of snow tomorrow which means ill need my truck, so I spent a few hours cutting and welding to get the bumper to a usable state, it's not the way I wanted to do it but my hands are tied, hope it don't rust
Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #44
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good You can always take it off get the rust off and then paint it.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #45

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
yup, that's the plan, trying to swing a deal for cheap sandblast and paint job
Old 01-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #46
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
Man that look great!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #48

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
sliders were the next step but a member here is looking for a stock rear bumper, so the rear jumped up the priority list, which reminds me, I have a trd sport front bumper and skid plate for sale...
Old 01-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #49
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
For painting you bumper, here is what I used on my Avid Off-Road sliders and new Relentless Fabrication skidplate;
Eastwood PRE - cleaner to get rid of grease, oils, silicone, etc.
Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black Primer - It's a good primer for rust free steel
Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black Satin Black Paint - Goes on easy and VERY durable.

The primer and paint are available in cans if you want to use in in you own spray gun, or aresol cans which is what I uses. With a little care you can do it without any runs (but for sliders and skidplates not too critical. My homebrew paint job looks as good as my powdercoated Pelfreybuilt plate bumper and is a hell of a lot cheaper!

Shameless plugs for the good guys that I bought armor from, GREAT STUFF! But making you own, now that is way cool too!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #51
jsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 6th Motor Transport Battalion
Name: Jeff
jsmarine's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job on that bumper!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #52

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys
Old 01-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #54
Maniac9230 has a spectacular aura aboutManiac9230 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Eric
Maniac9230's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome look, what's the weight like at this point, OP? It doesn't seem like a scale tipper but still looks really sturdy. Keep at it!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #55
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
so all you used to cut your lines with was a grinder with cutting disks?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #56
sexual ninja
barker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
barker14's Tacoma Gallery
Subscribing to this. A Plate bumper is on my list of things to do. I even have Access to a waterjet, just haven't had time to take my bumper off and take all the measurements for the mounts and clearance so I can cad something up. If you already have your dims written down or drawn up and wouldn't mind sending the information my way that would be awesome. Great job with the fab work by the way! Looks excellent!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #57

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
spent the night grinding, welding, and grinding again, the front is pretty close to smooth now, still need to weld up the back, add two gussets, and drill holes for D rings. One thing I learned from driving with the bumper is the weight is enough to cause unfavorable handling so I wont be using the bumper until I get some coilovers but looking at the bumper in the garage will motivate me to get those coilovers
Old 01-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #58
sexual ninja
barker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
barker14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD 09 View Post
spent the night grinding, welding, and grinding again, the front is pretty close to smooth now, still need to weld up the back, add two gussets, and drill holes for D rings. One thing I learned from driving with the bumper is the weight is enough to cause unfavorable handling so I wont be using the bumper until I get some coilovers but looking at the bumper in the garage will motivate me to get those coilovers
Any idea how much it weighs? Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #59
-TACOMBO-
mh3kgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh3kgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh3kgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh3kgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh3kgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh3kgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh3kgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh3kgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh3kgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh3kgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh3kgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mh3kgt's Tacoma Gallery
looks great man. nice job on the diy