Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bumper build

Old 03-19-2013, 04:25 AM   #141
MadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MadMtnMikey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD 09 View Post
I know what I'm going to do I just need to find time and money to do it.

The hitch was built to give 8" more clearance than stock, all I started with was a 6" long receiver tube I bought for $12, the rest was scrap steel, I started with the hitch because it is structural and needed to be strong.

Mikey, no garage sucks but it's not all bad I built this in a driveway with a extension cord plugged into my dryer receptacle

Now to everyone that read this thread...

GO BUILD SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dang, crazy shit right there !!!

How do you make your notches ? I bought a few hole saws to use on my drill press, but when you're trying to do it at odd angles I don't think it's going to work very well.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #142
TRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
When I did the ranger I had a a JD2 bender and notcher, I sold them before moving across country, for now I'm using a chop saw
Old 03-20-2013, 06:14 AM   #143
MadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Did you ever do bushing for your swingout pins ?
Old 03-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #144
TRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't fixed the bushings yet, starting to get backed up on other work so it might take a little longer before I get the bushings fixed
Old 03-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #145

Quote:
Haven't fixed the bushings yet, starting to get backed up on other work so it might take a little longer before I get the bushings fixed
Yeah... I'm trying to plan how I want to do mine, that's the part that is stumping me. How to make a nice hinge.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #146

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
I have mine on the truck, it just has a lot of play in it, I need to replace the current setup with something a little more beefy
Old 03-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #147

Quote:
I have mine on the truck, it just has a lot of play in it, I need to replace the current setup with something a little more beefy
Yeah. I want the hinge to be nice and snug. I haven't been able to look at a shop fabbed setup to see how they do it.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #148

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
My idea will work I just need to make it heavier and spend a little time putting it together right
Old 03-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #149

Quote:
My idea will work I just need to make it heavier and spend a little time putting it together right
What kind of bushing are you planning ?

A little pricey, but check these out
http://www.comp4x4.com/Tire-Carrier-Hinges/
Old 03-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #150

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
Dual shear setup using heavy equipment bushings and 1 1/4" pins on each end so it will swing out on both sides
Old 03-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #151

Quote:
Dual shear setup using heavy equipment bushings and 1 1/4" pins on each end so it will swing out on both sides
Those pins should definitely be strong enough. I saw you mention the dual hinge earlier, that should be nice once you get it all fitting tightly. I'll probably just do a single hinge.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #152

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
Single works well (all the manufacturers use it) as long as its well supported, ruff stuff specialties sell hinge kits that are ultra strong
Old 03-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #153
Not all who wander are lost
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

01GREENTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Subd! this is some incredible fabrication. NICE WORK!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:08 AM   #154
CollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
CollegeKevin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well here's my high clearance hitch receiver that the rear bumper will be built off

I still need to decide if I'm going to cut the bedsides or build to fit the stock configuration
Did you make the high clearance hitch receiver yourself?
Old 03-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #155

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Kevin View Post
Did you make the high clearance hitch receiver yourself?
Yes, I picked up the receiver tube for $12 and the rest was scrap I had around the garage
Old 03-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #156
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Bump, any pics of all your final products?
Old 03-20-2014, 10:41 PM   #158

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
Check my build page
Old 03-21-2014, 03:01 AM   #159
senojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aircraft Metals Technician (Machinist/Welder) 15th MXS Hickam AFB, HI
Name: Brandon
senojeelnodnarb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Check my build page
i totally unknowingly copied your "light switches in the sunglass holder" mod