Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

LED light bar security

Old 01-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
kai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kai38`'s Tacoma Gallery
LED light bar security

I have a 21in LED light bar to mount on the front of the Tacoma.
I don't have an after market bumper and will be mounting the LEDs on a Distinct Offroad light bar and the nuts/bolts will be exposed and someone could easily remove them and steal the LED light bar.
The problem will also be the side bolts are exposed also.
Any suggestions?

Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
she'll ride
nut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AC3 (Vet)
Name: Patrick
nut's Tacoma Gallery
mount it like mine. its a PITAto get to the bolts without taking the grill off

I have since cut out the little horizontal plastic piece in front of the light (on the lower valance), no pic of that
Old 01-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
he said he has a custom bumper..maybe there is some sort of aircraft cable you can tie to it that is bolt cutter proof..just thinking, not sure if anything like that exists
Old 01-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Jon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Jon850FL's Tacoma Gallery
was wondering the same thing, but possibly mounting two 15" LED bars instead of one 21" on mine.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
she'll ride
nut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon850FL View Post
was wondering the same thing, but possibly mounting two 15" LED bars instead of one 21"
I have one 15d from blitz, going to add another soon and mount them side by side in the lower valance like i have the first one. easy as pie
Old 01-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
kai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kai38`'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nut View Post
mount it like mine. its a PITAto get to the bolts without taking the grill off

I have since cut out the little horizontal plastic piece in front of the light (on the lower valance), no pic of that
Is it mounted between the aluminum blocks for the bumper with a piece of metal across it?
I was thinking of doing that.
Did you have to remove the plastic outer bumper first?
Old 01-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
myth01 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
myth01's Tacoma Gallery
Figure out the size bolts your gonna use and go buy the same size in stainless steel anti tamper bolts. You may have to buy the tool to use with the bolt heads but they will be safer than regular bolt heads
Old 01-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
she'll ride

nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kai38` View Post
Is it mounted between the aluminum blocks for the bumper with a piece of metal across it?
I was thinking of doing that.
Did you have to remove the plastic outer bumper first?
Exactly, I just used a piece of aluminum angle iron between the blocks on the truck. All I removed was the top grill and did all the work reaching down (couldnt ever figure out how to remove the bottom grey outer bumper piece)
I love it. Hard to steal and looks clean

Paid less than $15 for the angle iron at lowes

Put 2 pieces back to back like this and it makes it super rigid. Just remembered thats what i did

edit: ill take pics tomorrow and post up
Old 01-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #10

kai38`'s Tacoma Gallery
I found these on line and look like they would work great.
http://www.brycefastener.com/security/penta-nuts.cfm

Old 01-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #11
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monsterkx2fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
These are nice
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97...googlemerchant
Old 01-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monsterkx2fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
tack weld
Old 01-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondog View Post
he said he has a custom bumper..maybe there is some sort of aircraft cable you can tie to it that is bolt cutter proof..just thinking, not sure if anything like that exists
Nothing is cordless Dremel proof.

I broke the key off to my storage unit in the Brinks "tamper proof" lock.
Storage place owner let me borrow his bolt cutters. No joy, the design of the lock protected it against that.

Went to Lowe's, bought a cordless Dremel and AC inverter.
Plugged it all into the cab of the truck and let it charge while I grabbed something to eat.

5 minutes and one cutoff wheel I made two cuts in the shackle and opened the storage unit.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #16
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Every type under the sun

http://www.mcmaster.com/#tamper-resistant-nuts/=kvtsa2

I had my bypasses stolen off my truck last year. Now I have a second nut welded to the end of the bolt. These will work fine for a lightbar
Old 04-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #17
qnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
Reviving an old thread.

I want to use tamper resistant stainless hardware to attach a Rigid E2 20" bar to my ARB bumper (on top of bumper or on center of hoop).

Does anyone have a good solution to replace the Rigid hardware for an E2 bar?