1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which package should I get

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by raddad, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Jan 3, 2013 at 6:01 PM
    raddad

raddad [OP] New Member

Member:
    I am going to be getting my first Tacoma within the next few months. I have been looking around the forum and done a little research, but I'm still not positive which package to get. I know I want a double cab, 4x4, v6, and most likely a standard bed. At the very least I want the SR5 package, but beyond that I don't know if I would need one of the TRD packages. I don't intend on doing much off roading, and I'm not a huge fan of the TRD Sport look. Would there be a reason why either of the two TRD packages would be better for general use of the truck? I have done some searching, but I can't find anything that directly addresses the differences, in layman's terms, for the different packages. Any help is appreciated.

2. Jan 3, 2013 at 6:46 PM
    07SpeedwaySport

07SpeedwaySport Senior MoFo'ing Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR--now silver
    tint.
    most of it is just style. The main difference between the two TRD's is that the off road has a rear locker.

3. Jan 3, 2013 at 6:51 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    6' bed ?

Can't get it in the DC Offroad , so you're looking at an SR5 or a Sport

4. Jan 3, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    modmike

modmike Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off Road 4x4 DC
    Welcome to the forum raddad! It sounds like you should get the SR5 4x4 and skip the trd. The trd will have a more rigid suspension which will give you a bit rougher everyday ride. The sport has a limited slip diff, and the off road has a switch which allows you to choose when you'd like to lock the rear diff up. If you're not going to do any heavy off roading, then you don't need to spend the extra dough on fun goodies like that. Whatever you get, you will love it!

5. Jan 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

ToyotaKTMracing The Blue Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    285 BFG ATs, Custom dual exhaust system, 4" total lift (adjustable billies with 885 coils in front and AALs with 1" block in rear), interior LED lighting, LED reverse lights, LED license plate lights, fog light anytime mod, JVC KW-R500 stereo, 20" okledlightbars.com LED light bar, coverking seat covers
    OR or SR5. I have the SR5 and it fits my needs.

6. Jan 4, 2013 at 8:12 AM
    GWinstead

GWinstead Well-Known Member

Member:
    I came to Tacoma world this summer. Had the same decision to make as the OP. SR5 worked best for me. More highway and city driving, and no hardcore 4 wheeling. I've never regretted the choice I made.

Yes on the build your own toyota site. Lots of fun and gives you at least a starting price. I 'built' my own, then bought the exact truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top