Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Which package should I get

Old 01-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
raddad is on a distinguished road
raddad's Tacoma Gallery
Which package should I get

I am going to be getting my first Tacoma within the next few months. I have been looking around the forum and done a little research, but I'm still not positive which package to get. I know I want a double cab, 4x4, v6, and most likely a standard bed. At the very least I want the SR5 package, but beyond that I don't know if I would need one of the TRD packages. I don't intend on doing much off roading, and I'm not a huge fan of the TRD Sport look. Would there be a reason why either of the two TRD packages would be better for general use of the truck? I have done some searching, but I can't find anything that directly addresses the differences, in layman's terms, for the different packages. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Senior MoFo'ing Member
07SpeedwaySport will become famous soon enough
07SpeedwaySport's Tacoma Gallery
most of it is just style. The main difference between the two TRD's is that the off road has a rear locker.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raddad View Post
I am going to be getting my first Tacoma within the next few months. I have been looking around the forum and done a little research, but I'm still not positive which package to get. I know I want a double cab, 4x4, v6, and most likely a standard bed. At the very least I want the SR5 package, but beyond that I don't know if I would need one of the TRD packages. I don't intend on doing much off roading, and I'm not a huge fan of the TRD Sport look. Would there be a reason why either of the two TRD packages would be better for general use of the truck? I have done some searching, but I can't find anything that directly addresses the differences, in layman's terms, for the different packages. Any help is appreciated.
6' bed ?

Can't get it in the DC Offroad , so you're looking at an SR5 or a Sport
Old 01-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
modmike is on a distinguished road
Name: mike
modmike's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to the forum raddad! It sounds like you should get the SR5 4x4 and skip the trd. The trd will have a more rigid suspension which will give you a bit rougher everyday ride. The sport has a limited slip diff, and the off road has a switch which allows you to choose when you'd like to lock the rear diff up. If you're not going to do any heavy off roading, then you don't need to spend the extra dough on fun goodies like that. Whatever you get, you will love it!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by raddad View Post
Think about what you want to do with the truck. Go to toyota.com and build what best meets those needs. If you decide you want a TRD package, you can spend time determining which is a better fit. There's a little more to them than just stylistic differences.

There's a lot of aftermarket support for the Tacoma, but it's still important to choose wisely now. The main things that'll be difficult to change after purchase are cab size, bed size, engine, transmission, and 2WD/4WD. Figure out how those options fit with your life, and you can take care of the rest later.

About the differences between the Sport and Off-road packages: What features would you like explained? To start, David K has a good post on the differences in traction features here.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
GWinstead is on a distinguished road
Army:
GWinstead's Tacoma Gallery
I came to Tacoma world this summer. Had the same decision to make as the OP. SR5 worked best for me. More highway and city driving, and no hardcore 4 wheeling. I've never regretted the choice I made.

Yes on the build your own toyota site. Lots of fun and gives you at least a starting price. I 'built' my own, then bought the exact truck.