1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MajorAccident, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Jan 4, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    MajorAccident

MajorAccident [OP] New Member

Member:
    OC, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 Access Cab SR5 Silver
    I just recently got my 2013 on the 12/22. Each time I press on the clutch and release I hear and clicking/popping noise while in neutral and a little louder when shifting. At first I thought it was due to the break in period and all that stuff, but I am a little worried. I have been driving stick pretty much my whole life and never had an issue like this. Plus while in a stop light I get a thump, it was occasional, but mow it seems to be happening more often. I don't know if I am expecting it to be completely perfect since it is a new truck or its normal.

2. Jan 4, 2013 at 10:24 AM
    mirraman

mirraman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Ventura
    Vehicle:
    98 4Runner Limited 4X4 e-locker :-)
    99 4Runner springs all around: 1" over factory.
    Mine doesn't do any of that.

3. Jan 4, 2013 at 10:30 AM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    Clicking and popping noises from the transmission when shifting gears is normal. The Aisin trannies are noisy boxes to say the least. The clutch itself should be quiet, with the exception of the plastic pedal plunger under the dash; that bugger will start creaking down the road until you spin it back and forth to smear the grease around again.

For bumps at stop lights, check your u-bolts on the rear springs. Toyota is notorious for under-torquing them. When they're loose and you slow down, the axle wraps forwards too much, and when you let up on the brake pedal a little after stopping, the axle springs back and makes a THUNK sound/feeling.

Products Discussed in

To Top