Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Difference Between 2007 and 2008 Grilles

Old 01-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Difference Between 2007 and 2008 Grilles

So here's my story, When I first bought my truck used I did a Satoshi Grille on it. There were some broken parts on it so I bought a grille on if I remember correctly it was Parts Geek, and I Satoshi'd that and painted it to color match. I just broke that grille off-roading and I wanted to buy a painted one from CamelBack Toyota on here. I looked on the website and the price for the 2008 said $178.81. I contacted Jorge@CBTParts and after I gave him my VIN number he informed me that it would be $224.27.

When I asked him why there was a price difference he informed me that
Quote:
Based of of the production date, that one does not apply to your vehicle. There's a split May of 2008. The cheaper one applies to vehicles after 05/08 your vehicle was produced in July of 2007.
I asked him if the cheaper one would fit and he told me:
Quote:
To be honest with you, I"m not 100 sure. I believe that it will, but please don't hold me to it. I would put a post on here and see if anybody has done this before.
Can someone verify if the grilles are interchangeable?
Old 01-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
TOYWERX Grill Sargent
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
So here's my story, When I first bought my truck used I did a Satoshi Grille on it. There were some broken parts on it so I bought a grille on if I remember correctly it was Parts Geek, and I Satoshi'd that and painted it to color match. I just broke that grille off-roading and I wanted to buy a painted one from CamelBack Toyota on here. I looked on the website and the price for the 2008 said $178.81. I contacted Jorge@CBTParts and after I gave him my VIN number he informed me that it would be $224.27.

When I asked him why there was a price difference he informed me that

I asked him if the cheaper one would fit and he told me:

Can someone verify if the grilles are interchangeable?
All grills from 05-11 are 100% interchangeable.

Anyone that tells you otherwise is full of shit.

There are minor differences in cosmetic changes from 05-10 that only are of concern if you are trying to match an OEM finish.

The 2011 grill has a completely different inner surround design however that has zero affect on fitment between different years.

In other words - if you have a 05 taco and want a 11 grill on it, it will fit with no problem.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
All grills from 05-11 are 100% interchangeable.

Anyone that tells you otherwise is full of shit.

There are minor differences in cosmetic changes from 05-10 that only are of concern if you are trying to match an OEM finish.

The 2011 grill has a completely different inner surround design however that has zero affect on fitment between different years.

In other words - if you have a 05 taco and want a 11 grill on it, it will fit with no problem.

Hope that helps.
You are the man! Thanks!
I'm not trying to bash Jorge, he seemed pretty strait forward with his answers.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
The difference between the two grilles you are talking about is that the inner grille on the pre 2008's are flat black, and the inner grille on the post 2008's are a dark, glossy grey.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
The difference between the two grilles you are talking about is that the inner grille on the pre 2008's are flat black, and the inner grille on the post 2008's are a dark, glossy grey.
I would guess that is the difference between the part numbers Jorge was seeing.

Homer is 100% correct though (as if there was ever any doubt), I slapped a 2011 grille on my 2007 no problem.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I would guess that is the difference between the part numbers Jorge was seeing.

Homer is 100% correct though (as if there was ever any doubt), I slapped a 2011 grille on my 2007 no problem.
Hmmm... then I'll probably just paint it. I rather not spend the extra $50 just for the black. Thanks guys!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmmm... then I'll probably just paint it. I rather not spend the extra $50 just for the black. Thanks guys!
That pricing is for a color matched grille, right? I see your pictures and your truck had a chrome grille. I wouldn't pay that much for a new chrome grille, I got mine as an OEM color matched grille through a dealership for $185 shipped and it's a 2011 style.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
That pricing is for a color matched grille, right? I see your pictures and your truck had a chrome grille. I wouldn't pay that much for a new chrome grille, I got mine as an OEM color matched grille through a dealership for $185 shipped and it's a 2011 style.
Yep, It's the color matched one. Hmm... I'm not sure how much the shipping will be.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #11
TOYWERX Grill Sargent
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You are the man! Thanks!
Glad to help!
Most parts guys are just going by what a computer screen tells them. I'm sure he was just trying to ensure you got the correct part.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #12
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You are the man! Thanks!
He is a good guy, but keep in mind that all he has to work with is your VIN unless you want something specific.
He can only guarantee a fit on something that matches your VIN... he doesn't have a shop full of parts he can test fit.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #13
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I didn't even notice that when I made my Satoshi. Ordered a replacement grille for $180 in Super White and it had the glossy gray inside.
Didn't even pay attention to my stocker, but yes, it's glossy grey surround, and a satin black on the crossbar.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
He is a good guy, but keep in mind that all he has to work with is your VIN unless you want something specific.
He can only guarantee a fit on something that matches your VIN... he doesn't have a shop full of parts he can test fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
I didn't even notice that when I made my Satoshi. Ordered a replacement grille for $180 in Super White and it had the glossy gray inside.
Didn't even pay attention to my stocker, but yes, it's glossy grey surround, and a satin black on the crossbar.
I agree, Thanks man!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #15
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I installed a 2011 OEM grill ( SWB) on my 07...... direct bolt-on.
Sport (painted grill) to Sport (painted) grill.

I just ordered it and never gave them my VIN number. I told them (can't remember what dealer it was online) what color I wanted and what year....