Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How could I mount this in my truck?

Old 01-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
How could I mount this in my truck?

I need to find out a way to mount my scanner in my truck. I want it in the stereo area, but not blocking my stereo or my vision. Like to the left of the stereo and have it facing me. Here is the scanner.

And the clip thing on the back:

Old 01-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Front cup holders is a good spot. Thats where I put my fire radio sometimes when responding to a call.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Captain Taco
tacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Volunteer Firefighter
Name: Matt
tacofire38's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Front cup holders is a good spot. Thats where I put my fire radio sometimes when responding to a call.
Haha i clip my fire radio on the change holder on the right side
Old 01-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofire38 View Post
Haha i clip my fire radio on the change holder on the right side
That would work too!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
Haha, I have that exact same one and my buddies just bought two of them. I mounted mine on a Pro-Fit dash mount, but it shook like a bitch so I have a seat rail mount RamMount holding my Zune that kind of stablizes it.
What about the suction cup phone holders and put it on the plastic somewhere? Like this one. http://dealsprime.com/universal-car-...lder-m500.aspx
Old 01-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Pretty much most of the plastic inside your cab is textured, there is no way it will stick.
Yeah.. Hmmm. Idk
Old 01-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
97lt1ta is on a distinguished road

97lt1ta's Tacoma Gallery
Just go to autozone and gets some Velcro tape where you want it then just stick it there
Old 01-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #11
Pro Tech
SaveAHoRideATACO is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 15th Security Police Squadron, Hickam AFB, Hawaii '91-'94
SaveAHoRideATACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pretty much most of the plastic inside your cab is textured, there is no way it will stick.

Yeah, you could do the velcro thing or try some double-sided tape, 3M is pretty strong stuff. (Only if you don't mind probably ruining whatever you stick it to if you ever remove it). Otherwise, I'd go with the cupholder too.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ya, tried that even on the smooth surfaces in my Blazer and Suburban and it doesn't work.

Hell, the Garmin suction cup mount barely works on the Garmin puck. The only thing they work well for is glass (and that's illegal in California unless it's on the driver's lower left)
Old 01-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
You could put together some sort of ram mount if you wanted. I recently put together pieces to mount my GPS on my "oh shit" handle which came out real nice. There are tons of pieces and parts on amazon for ram mounts that could provide you with a few good options.

One option I originally considered for my GPS was to remove my stereo trim and drill a hole to put one of those ball mount studs Ram sells in there, then also get a cradle for my GPS that matched up with the ball stud.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdevTac View Post
You could put together some sort of ram mount if you wanted. I recently put together pieces to mount my GPS on my "oh shit" handle which came out real nice. There are tons of pieces and parts on amazon for ram mounts that could provide you with a few good options.

One option I originally considered for my GPS was to remove my stereo trim and drill a hole to put one of those ball mount studs Ram sells in there, then also get a cradle for my GPS that matched up with the ball stud.
Any pics of it on the handle? That sounds like an okay spot if I can't figure something else out
Old 01-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I clip my fire radio looks to be about the same size on the back of the seat in the storage pouch.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #16
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing View Post
Any pics of it on the handle? That sounds like an okay spot if I can't figure something else out
My finished product ended up looking like this:
I found an actual RAM cradle to fit my gps. You could use a universal cradle if RAM doesn't have any for your uniden scanner.

I followed this writeup by DblD: (I used a longer M6 bolt off eBay, not the OEM bolt. Chopped it up and epoxied it in the RAM piece that goes in the handle)
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...gps-mount.html

I just realized the radio has the antenna so I'm not sure how much it would protrude into your line of sight while driving.

Keep in mind you could also mount it something like this as well (using one of the RAM handle bar type mounts):

Here is a thread with more variations, which in my opinion last one on the page seems like it would fit your radio in the best place:
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=6170.0

All these would be solid mounting systems so long as the antenna is out of the way or out of your line of sight. Ram is solid stuff. I bought all the aluminum/metal pieces and once tightened up they do NOT move.

The alternative would be something along the lines of velcro, cup-holder as others said, another company's mount of some sort (like panavise as mentioned before).
Old 01-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #17
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdevTac View Post
My finished product ended up looking like this:
I found an actual RAM cradle to fit my gps. You could use a universal cradle if RAM doesn't have any for your uniden radio.

I followed this writeup by DblD: (I used a longer M6 bolt off eBay, not the OEM bolt. Chopped it up and epoxied it in the RAM piece that goes in the handle)
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...gps-mount.html

I just realized the radio has the antenna so I'm not sure how much it would protrude into your line of sight while driving.

Keep in mind you could also mount it something like this as well (using one of the RAM handle bar type mounts):

Here is a thread with more variations, which in my opinion seems like it would fit your radio in the best place:
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=6170.0

All these would be solid mounting systems so long as the antenna is out of the way or out of your line of sight. Ram is solid stuff. I bought all the aluminum/metal pieces and once tightened up they do NOT move.

The alternative would be something along the lines of velcro, cup-holder as others said, another company's mount of some sort (like panavise as mentioned before).
Thanks!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #18
The Blue Warrior

The 2nd pic in my OP, the mounting bracket/clip that you use with the bolt looking thing, I can't find one. Where are they? I've searched the web. Link?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #19
International Jewel Thief
Drummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Michael
Drummer0247's Tacoma Gallery
Best^^^^Velcro works on everything!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #20
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer0247 View Post
Best^^^^Velcro works on everything!
Eh, idk. It just wouldn't look real clean.