Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

hood protector/bugshield

Old 02-01-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
Redsoxnation is on a distinguished road

Redsoxnation's Tacoma Gallery
hood protector/bugshield

me again... ok getting a few nicks on my hood/windshield.. leading edge and back.. few dings on the glass . few things on the market... I see some guys with traditional type bug shields. but man there is ZERO tolerence with the hood and weather striping and headlight lens when that hood is close.. how is it attached? then I see others using the bra type.. Which I was told NEVER leave on full time ( paint blistering) finally... there is the 3M film chip/scratch protection. your Pro's and Con's is greatly appreciated..
Old 02-01-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Regular bug-guards will also damage your hood from the attachment points.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
Member of the Goat Army
billybobsgoat will become famous soon enough

billybobsgoat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
x2
Old 02-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsgoat View Post
x2

the toyota guard with the metal brackets will...thats for sure. ones made by wade and avs arent bad because they mount with 3m tape.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:12 AM   #6
northlite is on a distinguished road
northlite's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Toyota hood protector on both of my trucks. I like the way they look--very handsome on my silver 06. They use 3M mylar to protect the hood from the brackets and having taken both off and put them on again, I can't see any damage whatsoever. Definately cuts down on the pebbles hitting the windshield. Only thing I don't like is not feeling comfortable going through automatic carwashes.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
Taco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco93's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
My bug guard mounts on the inside of the engine bay doesn't touch my hood in any way. I believe it is a Lund. I'll go get some pics.

Where did you purchase this deflector? I'm thinking I want one but i don't want to wreck my hood as I've read happens alot with certain brands. Do you have any pictures looking at the whole front of the truck to get a better idea on how it looks? Thanks
Old 02-01-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
My bug guard mounts on the inside of the engine bay doesn't touch my hood in any way. I believe it is a Lund. I'll go get some pics.

:.....its mounted to your hood.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #9
BONES is on a distinguished road

BONES's Tacoma Gallery
I think Luk8272 means, it doesn't touch the exterior side of the hood.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
Head of the MASTERS CIRCLE
mar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to behold

mar_ga_rita's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco93 View Post
Where did you purchase this deflector? I'm thinking I want one but i don't want to wreck my hood as I've read happens alot with certain brands. Do you have any pictures looking at the whole front of the truck to get a better idea on how it looks? Thanks
I got one on my 03 just got it yesterday at PepBoys... was $38 and they have one for the 05-09 as well same price..
Old 02-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #11
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by northlite View Post
I have the Toyota hood protector on both of my trucks. I like the way they look--very handsome on my silver 06. They use 3M mylar to protect the hood from the brackets and having taken both off and put them on again, I can't see any damage whatsoever. Definately cuts down on the pebbles hitting the windshield. Only thing I don't like is not feeling comfortable going through automatic carwashes.
Has Toyota changed the design? I've seen numerous posts about the brackets chipping the paint.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONES View Post
I think Luk8272 means, it doesn't touch the exterior side of the hood.
gotcha. his is a good one, unlike the toyota one that i had on my 06............the mounts eat right thru the mylar and start rubbing paint off the edge of the hood.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:02 PM   #13
BONES is on a distinguished road

BONES's Tacoma Gallery
Lately, I've also started to find dings in my windshield. So, I just ordered the Lund Interceptor II bug shield from http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/ for about $60 w/ free shipping. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks luk for the pics, they definitely helped me make up my mind.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #14
Redsoxnation is on a distinguished road

Redsoxnation's Tacoma Gallery
let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONES View Post
Lately, I've also started to find dings in my windshield. So, I just ordered the Lund Interceptor II bug shield from http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/ for about $60 w/ free shipping. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks luk for the pics, they definitely helped me make up my mind.

yes I'd like to how you make out with the edge clearance when you close the hood down on the headlight weather stripping.. with out chewing it up.. those dam things aren't cheap to replace..
Old 02-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #15
-Doomsday Squad-"game over man"
RaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud of

RaginCajun's Tacoma Gallery
i need to get one too..
Old 02-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #16
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
:.....its mounted to your hood.
Sorry I returned so late, had a baptism and to see my grandmother, followed by a day of visiting the inlaws. Yes sir it is mounted to my hood, but from the engine bay not the exterior as Bones stated. Its screwed in using exhisting holes, you can't really see very well but there are no marks on the paint. I have had it on since the truck was brand new.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Sorry I returned so late, had a baptism and to see my grandmother, followed by a day of visiting the inlaws. Yes sir it is mounted to my hood, but from the engine bay not the exterior as Bones stated. Its screwed in using exhisting holes, you can't really see very well but there are no marks on the paint. I have had it on since the truck was brand new.
i figured as much man...............just joshing ya a little.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #18
armstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aviator...Four Fans Of Freedom
Name: Sean
armstrsm's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, I have the AVS bug shield and Its awesome. It mounts under the hood with i think 8 Plastic nail like clips. Kinda like the ones holding your mudflaps on. It even came with little rubber stick-on bumpers to keep it from hitting the hood. I now know why they call it a bug de4flector cause it def works!! Also to keep it looking good, i Wax it along with Rain-X'ing it.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #19
Mustang Paul will become famous soon enoughMustang Paul will become famous soon enough

Mustang Paul's Tacoma Gallery
I have to get something as I already have rock chips in my window. Grrrr. I'm amazed that anything can fit that tight hood to grill clearance. I'd really like to see pics of these installed with the hood down.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #20
Adrenaline Addict
Mx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mx SuperFly 25's Tacoma Gallery
i just recently bought my truck, but the previous owner had a toyota bug deflector on it.. i didn't like the looks of it so much so i took it off, but after a few chips in my hood i'm sure i'll put it back on, anyway.. it looks like they put a clear sticker on the hood where the brackets would touch the paint, but due to friction the metal brackets wore through the sticker. i had to touch up the edge of the hood in two places, very minor. if you do purchase/install the toyota guard, make sure you put something stronger than what it came with on the hood to protect it.