1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tranny cooler

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by med8921, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Jan 5, 2013 at 3:45 PM
    med8921

med8921 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Belton, MO
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma AC 4x4 SR5 3.5
    I'd like to add a cooler to this truck. Who has suggestions.
    It's a 4x4 w/2.7 and just want to take care of it.
    Is there a TRD cooler that will bolt on? Thanks!

2. Jan 5, 2013 at 3:50 PM
    jmg256

jmg256 Calmer than you are

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear (front at .85), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, 20% tint, Curt Hitch/Wiring Harness, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats (Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers (Black), Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75/16, LED Map/Dome lights, ImMrYo bracket, Debadged, Extang Tuff Tonno.
    Get a Hayden 678 or 679 and mount it in front of the radiator...that's what I did (678). I can show you how I mounted it if you'd like

TRD cooler is way spendy for what you get...aftermarket will get you more for your $...I spent around $50 for the cooler + fluid cost

Edit...not my write up, but VERY similar to what I did...just mounted mine a slight bit different. Same location, just used some 1" aluminum flat stock from Lowes to mount the side away from the center support to make it as secure as possible

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61-2nd-generation-2005/233458-my-hayden-678-transmission-cooler-install-06-v6.html

3. Jan 5, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    I agree with JMG, buy a quality aftermarket cooler. I went with a TruCool M7B. If you search, possibly in the tech forums this was discussed recently. Good to get rid of the radiator cooler, and doesn't hurt adding a remote filter.

PK

4. Jan 5, 2013 at 11:38 PM
    Defined

Defined Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    southern california
    Just go aftermarket its an easy install and greatly needed.haydons are decent , i used them years ago without issues
    i replaced the original sport tow package cooler with a large setrab cooler and fan. I then used the trd cooler as the power steering cooler.

IMG_4755_3f99b5034fb01188752f6a522869f28b1fcf323b.jpg

its nice to have a temp gauge as well

IMG_4702_ddfe91d63e6cda9ebeec9ba3cfc552a2334cfc0a.jpg

5. Jan 6, 2013 at 3:46 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Exactly, my oem trans cooler will be plumbed as the power steering cooler. The best benefit is the chance of radiator failure not taking out the transmission.

PK

6. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM
    med8921

med8921 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Belton, MO
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma AC 4x4 SR5 3.5
    Thanks! I'll check this out.

7. Jan 6, 2013 at 12:01 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    I've got an sr5, where do I run the cooler lines to and from?

8. Jan 6, 2013 at 3:50 PM
    jmg256

jmg256 Calmer than you are

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear (front at .85), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, 20% tint, Curt Hitch/Wiring Harness, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats (Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers (Black), Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75/16, LED Map/Dome lights, ImMrYo bracket, Debadged, Extang Tuff Tonno.
    See the link to tn above

9. Jan 7, 2013 at 9:44 AM
    Defined

Defined Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    southern california
    i still use the built in cooler thats inside the radiator. mainly to help with warmup of the trans fluid in cold temps. i have the hot line coming out of the trans to the rad/cooler then to the aftermarket cooler and then back into the transmission.
    just for comparison i took the radiator cooler out of the system to see where my temps went . it ran 10-20* warmer for daily driving and 30-40* warmer when i abuse it in the dirt up the local mointain.
    so untill i add a bigger or another cooler im keeping the stock cooler inline, ill take my chances with it failing

Products Discussed in

To Top