Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear suspension bottoming out!

Old 01-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
Boeingoing is on a distinguished road
Boeingoing's Tacoma Gallery
Rear suspension bottoming out!

I have a 2010 double cab SR5... seems the rear suspension bottoms out with minimal weight in the back, I even noticed it on a trail the other day with 3 guys in the truck and 200lbs in the back when we hit a rut. I realize this is a mid size truck... but shouldn't it be a bit more solid than that? My questions are does the trd have better rear suspension and is there a mod I can do to beef up the leaf springs or something? The truck isn't bagged on either, it only has 13,000k....
Old 01-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
There might be a tsb for rear leaf springs on the 10 double cab (the stronger leafs might have been put in automatically in Canada, but not completely sure).

Payload on my 11 regular cab is 1435 lbs. If the three guys weighed 200 you would only be at 800.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
The TRD package comes with upgraded blistien shocks and beefier springs...
Old 01-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Boeingoing is on a distinguished road
Boeingoing's Tacoma Gallery
It's a US truck... When I had the truck in for service I asked them if there was any outstanding TSB's and they said no... I guess I should do some research...
Old 01-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Skunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Skunkman's Tacoma Gallery
Here is my suggestion, from experience. If you are going to use it like a real truck, and not a grocerey getter, spend the money and change out the rear leafs to an aftermarket set . I would highly suggest a set of Expo's . I started with a toytec add a leaf,and shattered both of them. Then went to a middle of the road replacement spring pack, and with any type of real weight they settled back to exactly zero lift and not much better ride than stock. Finally broke down and got the Expo's installed,now with a loaded truck it still has 2 + inches lift over stock, never bottoms out, and rides excellent on the road. I have a set of 5100's in the back, and they ride good, but at some point I am going to swap them out for the Bilsteins meant to handle the additional lift. Just a suggestion from someone that learned the hard (expensive ) way.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I would grab monster stickers and spray paint your wheels black.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
False. Springs are the same, just the yellow bilstein shock vs the black Tokico shocks.
I thought the trd package came with progressive rate springs?
Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
Calmer than you are
jmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al Tonter
jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyasu45 View Post
I thought the trd package came with progressive rate springs?
In the front coils, yes...in the rear they are all the same springs, either the standard 3 leaf or tsb 4 leaf. The tsb is Toyota's fix for the problem the op describes. Canadian trucks get the 4 leaf pack standard

Edit: traveler beat me to it...stupid small keys on my phone.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
and the front springs are better arnt they?
Old 01-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
Calmer than you are
jmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
and they're better than stock arnt they?
What is better than 'stock'? The TRD offroad coils are stock to TRD offroad trucks...the linear rate springs are 'stock' to sports and sr5
Old 01-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
Calmer than you are

jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
and the front springs are better arnt they?
'better' is a relative term in your usage of the word...
Old 01-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #16
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
. . .
Old 01-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #17
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
OP, you're going to have to long travel it.

There's no way around it.

That's how everyone fixes this problem.

Agreed with the earlier sentiment of spray painting your wheels black and the addition of Monster stickers.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #18
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
OP, you're going to have to long travel it.

There's no way around it.

That's how everyone fixes this problem.

Agreed with the earlier sentiment of spray painting your wheels black and the addition of Monster stickers.
i would recommend plasti-dipping them black, as long as bedsides are left white
Old 01-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #20
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
i would recommend plasti-dipping them black, as long as bedsides are left white
Well duh.

I hope he remembers to get the fiberglass fenders on at least 3 months prior to starting his LT excursion, proper etiquette.