Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2600 mile round trip.. what to take?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #41
My boys need a house.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
+1

Not too many areas that don't have cellular coverage.
Best bet is to carry multiple phones from different carriers.
Carry your regular phone, say it's Verizon, and get prepaid phones that use the T-Mobile and AT&T networks.
Just keep the spare phones for travel use.

Chances are good that you'll have coverage on Verizon.
Chances are better that you'll have coverage from at least 1 of the 3.
I'd much rather have a phone charger than a CB.
And silence.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #43
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
+1

Not too many areas that don't have cellular coverage.
Best bet is to carry multiple phones from different carriers.
Carry your regular phone, say it's Verizon, and get prepaid phones that use the T-Mobile and AT&T networks.
Just keep the spare phones for travel use.

Chances are good that you'll have coverage on Verizon.
Chances are better that you'll have coverage from at least 1 of the 3.
Once you get outside of the city around here you can go 100's of
Miles before you see anything. West coast sucks.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #44
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
Miles before you see anything. West coast rules for that .
Old 01-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #45
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
Miles before you see anything. West coast sucks.
Dunno what it is out here.
LA used to have a LOT of dead zones, but it's rare that I drop signal now.

Visited my parents in Austin twice in the last year, different routes both trips, and never had a problem getting signal even in the middle of West Texas and New Mexico out in what the Commanche call "The Boonies".

Wife must have spent hours yapping with her daughter.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #46
My boys need a house.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
TP
I started keeping some skin-safe wipes in a door pocket for trips. I'm not a germaphobe, but I've seen enough public restroom filth to know I don't want to bring any of that along with me. A fresh wipe on my face helps wake me up a little, too.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #47
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I started keeping some skin-safe wipes in a door pocket for trips. I'm not a germaphobe, but I've seen enough public restroom filth to know I don't want to bring any of that along with me. A fresh wipe on my face helps wake me up a little, too.
I have Gojo and blue towels in my truck
Old 01-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #48
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I agree. I take my previous statement back.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #49
hetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nice
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
I do long road trip all the time...a good insulated travel coffee cup, a box of protein bars from Sams and a sack of my favorite apples. I haven't had an on the road breakdown needing a tow or rescue in 15 years and 400,000 thousand miles...and the last time I needed a tow home (aside from one of my on property beater trucks) was a busted lower control arm on a one ton van conversion project.

Your truck is brand new, just make sure you have a recent oil change.

Howard
Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #50
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Holy cow I wish I was as organized as you! I do monthly road trips about half the miles as yours and take nothing except my pups. I'm ultra spontaneous and in fact have, in the past, decided to do out of the country trips (sometimes with no firm final destination) with family and or friends along and we pack up and leave making the arrangements en route.

Hope your trip goes well and you enjoy it. I have a feeling if you traveled with someone like me you'd not be as happy as you're going to be with your great pre planning.

ON EDIT: Even though I've had fun on every road trip (that was for pleasure) more then once I have ended up sleeping in my vehicle or a rental car due to my lack of planning.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #51
Goof Ball
pra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
pra4sno's Tacoma Gallery
All I would say is that in my time driving long distance I learned a valuable lesson.

When you are hungry, take the time to eat REAL food. Pull into a diner and take the extra 45 minutes to have someone prepare you something from fresh ingredients, and take your time eating it.

Eating junk food, slamming coca cola, and only stopping for head calls and gas is how you arrive at your destination feeling like crap.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #52
My boys need a house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pra4sno View Post
Eating junk food, slamming coca cola, and only stopping for head calls and gas is how you arrive at your destination feeling like crap.
I try to mix it up to still make good time, but there's some wisdom to putting a few extended stops in for a food break.

My friends used to believe in driving 20 hours non-stop and immediately hiking another 8 hours into a campsite to "save time". The end result was always misery. We now slow things down a bit and spend the first night in the area in a motel or car camp.

BTW, Douglas Adams was right. You should always travel with a large bath towel. It's massively useful, even on Earth.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #53
Long Range Practical Marksman
ACE_Taco will become famous soon enoughACE_Taco will become famous soon enough
Navy: Aviation Ordnance
ACE_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Fixed that for you.

Gangsta "music" won't keep me awake... it would make me pitch the Nano out the window.
Rich, you did fix that bro! Huge Motorhead fan. After 25 years, I finaly saw them in 2011.

Seriously, not sure if it was mentioned, but a good first aid kit and a pistola (check state to state laws).

Safe travels and enjoy the trip. Sounds like fun...
Old 01-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #54
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Don't forget gas money. Not just plastic either, carry enough cash for a couple tanks full.

I find it odd how people are most concerened about reliability on long trips. Unless you are towing, its the easiest miles a vehicle will ever put on, and proper maintenance is important at all times.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #55
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post
Don't forget gas money. Not just plastic either, carry enough cash for a couple tanks full.
+1

I alternate cash and the debit card (don't have any credit cards).
My bank has a habit of putting a 24-hour security lock on my card if it is used to purchase fuel 3 times, so I only use it once a day for gas and use cash for the 2nd tank. I generally leave home with enough cash for gas and food for half the trip. Any cash I still have when I get home goes back to the bank.

Few things to look out for...

You never know when you'll find a station with older pumps that can't electronically scan the card. Cashier manually running the card is wide open for fraud... it happened to me in Anaheim when the system was down.

Ever since the expose on card skimmers being easily installed INSIDE of the pump (the same key operates nearly every gas pump in the country), stations have been better about maintaining the tape seals on the pumps.
No seal, or a broken seal, I pay cash.
Give the card reader a gentle tug to make sure it's not a dummy overlay that will skim the card.

Cover the keypad when inputting your PIN or ZIP.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #56
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
I would add:

Engine belt
battery jumper starter with air compressor
small cheap floor jack.(makes changing tire easier)
Jug of antifreeze
Jug of water
Crank up type of flash light (doesn't need batterys)
duck tape
bailing wire
case of beer
Old 01-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #57
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
I think you're over thinking this whole thing a bit much. If you're staying on the highway for the whole trip you won't be far from civilization if something bad does happen. Which with a fairly new vehicle you shouldn't have to worry about. Cellphone and money for food/gas and you'll be fine. UNLESS the zombie apocalypse hits while you're out....then you might need a few extras!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #58
My boys need a house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post

I find it odd how people are most concerened about reliability on long trips. Unless you are towing, its the easiest miles a vehicle will ever put on, and proper maintenance is important at all times.
I've been to stations where they still took card imprints; cash only for them, like Rich said.

I'm a firm believer in preventative maintenance. I've always kept my vehicles in good repair, and I had enough faith in even the crappiest one that I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a long trip. PMing a new vehicle like the OP's isn't much of anything, but that's where it all starts. Perform scheduled maintenance, take care of problems as they occur, and the odds of a breakdown are greatly reduced.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #59
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Man that's a short trip, Master Card should cover all your needs.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #60
Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you
MedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
MedlinAround's Tacoma Gallery
So i'd probably say pants, camera, gun, pillow, money, condoms, jerky, Monster, and some more money for hookers and blow. Should be good. Enjoy

Products Discussed in this Thread