1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2600 mile round trip.. what to take?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2006KJ, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Jan 6, 2013 at 12:05 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I have Gojo and blue towels in my truck

2. Jan 6, 2013 at 12:21 AM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else
    I agree. I take my previous statement back.

3. Jan 6, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I do long road trip all the time...a good insulated travel coffee cup, a box of protein bars from Sams and a sack of my favorite apples. I haven't had an on the road breakdown needing a tow or rescue in 15 years and 400,000 thousand miles...and the last time I needed a tow home (aside from one of my on property beater trucks) was a busted lower control arm on a one ton van conversion project.

Your truck is brand new, just make sure you have a recent oil change.

Howard

4. Jan 6, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Holy cow I wish I was as organized as you! I do monthly road trips about half the miles as yours and take nothing except my pups. I'm ultra spontaneous and in fact have, in the past, decided to do out of the country trips (sometimes with no firm final destination) with family and or friends along and we pack up and leave making the arrangements en route.

Hope your trip goes well and you enjoy it. I have a feeling if you traveled with someone like me you'd not be as happy as you're going to be with your great pre planning.

ON EDIT: Even though I've had fun on every road trip (that was for pleasure) more then once I have ended up sleeping in my vehicle or a rental car due to my lack of planning.

5. Jan 6, 2013 at 8:10 AM
    pra4sno

pra4sno Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR MT. Previously 2013 DCSB SR5
    All I would say is that in my time driving long distance I learned a valuable lesson.

When you are hungry, take the time to eat REAL food. Pull into a diner and take the extra 45 minutes to have someone prepare you something from fresh ingredients, and take your time eating it.

Eating junk food, slamming coca cola, and only stopping for head calls and gas is how you arrive at your destination feeling like crap.

6. Jan 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM
    ACE_Taco

ACE_Taco Long Range Practical Marksman

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCab TRD 4x4
    OME 885x Coils, Dakar Leafs, OME Shocks, TC UCAs, BHLM, Tailgate MOD, WeatherTec Window Deflectors, WeatherTec Floor Mats, Blacked Out chrome bumber, Satoshi Grille, Wet Okole Seat Covers
    Rich, you did fix that bro! Huge Motorhead fan. After 25 years, I finaly saw them in 2011.:eek:
    DSC00548_29dbcb1c55c51626a00f47a9cc7a1b97b5ba6d06.jpg

Seriously, not sure if it was mentioned, but a good first aid kit and a pistola (check state to state laws).

Safe travels and enjoy the trip. Sounds like fun...

7. Jan 6, 2013 at 10:42 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Don't forget gas money. Not just plastic either, carry enough cash for a couple tanks full.

I find it odd how people are most concerened about reliability on long trips. Unless you are towing, its the easiest miles a vehicle will ever put on, and proper maintenance is important at all times.

8. Jan 6, 2013 at 10:52 AM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    +1

I alternate cash and the debit card (don't have any credit cards).
    My bank has a habit of putting a 24-hour security lock on my card if it is used to purchase fuel 3 times, so I only use it once a day for gas and use cash for the 2nd tank. I generally leave home with enough cash for gas and food for half the trip. Any cash I still have when I get home goes back to the bank.

Few things to look out for...

You never know when you'll find a station with older pumps that can't electronically scan the card. Cashier manually running the card is wide open for fraud... it happened to me in Anaheim when the system was down.

Ever since the expose on card skimmers being easily installed INSIDE of the pump (the same key operates nearly every gas pump in the country), stations have been better about maintaining the tape seals on the pumps.
    No seal, or a broken seal, I pay cash.
    Give the card reader a gentle tug to make sure it's not a dummy overlay that will skim the card.

Cover the keypad when inputting your PIN or ZIP.

9. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    I would add:

Engine belt
    battery jumper starter with air compressor
    small cheap floor jack.(makes changing tire easier)
    Jug of antifreeze
    Jug of water
    Crank up type of flash light (doesn't need batterys)
    duck tape
    bailing wire
    case of beer

10. Jan 6, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    I think you're over thinking this whole thing a bit much. If you're staying on the highway for the whole trip you won't be far from civilization if something bad does happen. Which with a fairly new vehicle you shouldn't have to worry about. Cellphone and money for food/gas and you'll be fine. UNLESS the zombie apocalypse hits while you're out....then you might need a few extras!

11. Jan 6, 2013 at 1:49 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Man that's a short trip, Master Card should cover all your needs.

12. Jan 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    MedlinAround

MedlinAround Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD off-road edition Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885X Coils, Dakar HD Springs, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, Weathertec Floor Liners, Custom Bed Rack, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit, 4X innovations sliders, DIY Roof Rack, Smittybilt RTT.
    So i'd probably say pants, camera, gun, pillow, money, condoms, jerky, Monster, and some more money for hookers and blow. Should be good. Enjoy

13. Jan 6, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    DunhamAll

DunhamAll Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '12 Access cab, MT, TRD OR
    Rear diff. breather, BHLM, Wet Okoles.
    You should ditch that crappy duck tape and grab some duct tape. Stuff is awesome!

Beef jerkey and trail mix are good for snacks and will keep your mind straight.

Don't drive beyond 16 hours in a single day before resting. Two 10 hour legs with 2 hour rests is perfect.

14. Jan 6, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    tacomaconvert

tacomaconvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    '12 White SR5 DC 4X4
    Factory roof rack, bed extender Extang Full Tilt Tonneau
  15. Jan 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM
    2006KJ

2006KJ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Front Royal VA
    great idea..

also great suggestion to take enough cash... i always travel with cash but it's easy to forget how important it is.. or how much you rely on debt card/credit cards.

I'll def throw in a small floor jack, one of those portable power/jumpers/compressor, and a FEW cases of beer... since OKC only sells 3.2 beer. yack!

all good suggestions so far. Thanks! The majority of the time i'll probably listen to the XM radio... maybe change to a CD now and then. Thinking i'll stay over some where off the highway in St Loui

16. Jan 6, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Seriously though... 2600 miles round trip?

That's half of an oil change interval.
    What do you normally do between oil changes? Gas, check the tire pressure, and check the oil.

That's all you're going to need as long as you don't leave the lights on or get a flat.
    I'll pack up and head from LA to Austin on a moment's notice without a 2nd thought or any vehicle prep other than making sure the tires are up and in good shape.

Products Discussed in

To Top