1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New to Tacoma....love it but a few complaints.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dguy, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Jan 8, 2014 at 7:14 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    $3.89, same as the spin-on according to Camelback for Toyota engines.

Tell them when you spend too much on the car, you're going to spend too much on the filter :D

2. Jan 8, 2014 at 8:29 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I meant the BMW cartridge filters. lol. You brought up the BMW first! hahaha

3. Jan 8, 2014 at 9:39 PM
    ryansoup

ryansoup Active Member

Member:
    Wyo
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road DC
    Bone Stock
    i just bought my 2011 TRD O/R and compared to my 99 RAV4 it has way more bells/whistles than i know what to do with.

the thing just turned over 29k. my ONLY complaint is how dangerous the rugged trails that came on it were. i got in a fender bender right after i bought the truck cause the tires had worn so badly after that little mileage and the tread pattern was so poor that no matter what they would not clean.

an insurance claim and a set of nitto terra grapplers later, i'm pretty fucking happy with my truck.

4. Jan 8, 2014 at 10:03 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Complaining about not having led lit cup holders.

5. Jan 8, 2014 at 10:30 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Same gripes here.

Yet I'm still making payments... *shrugs*

6. Jan 9, 2014 at 5:44 PM
    Mustafabeast

Mustafabeast New Member

Member:
    Jcksonville NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab 4x4
    I agree, I just got rid of my F-150 and it had the auto lights. My wife's car also has them, and after several years of not having to even think about them it's definitely something I have to pay attention to. It's crazy how quickly you become spoiled.:D

7. Jan 9, 2014 at 6:40 PM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
  8. Jan 9, 2014 at 7:02 PM
    TR90125

TR90125 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport
    Bone stock for now....
    Lol. Diverse crowd on TW.

I could give two shits about some of the convenience lights the Tacoma lacks, but I agree that a couple, such as a ignition light, are so fundamentally basic most first time buyers would never think to confirm their existence. I'm guilty of accidentally cranking up the fan speed when I meant to engage 4HI while driving snowy roads. I laugh every time my auto power down window doesn't auto power up.

All this shit exists on the RAV4 for one reason, competition. Tacoma's lack of refinement is part of the appeal for me as it is simple, reliable and has somewhat of a retro feel. I actually miss the days when drivers had to be engaged enough in the act of driving to know its time to turn on the lights and the vehicle didn't do it for them. The HVAC controls are design perfection. You want heat, spin two knobs all the way right. A co worker and I hopped into a corolla rental just two days ago and stared at the electronic dash for a minute to figure it out.

So yeah, I love my Tacoma.

9. Jan 9, 2014 at 7:12 PM
    MTopp

MTopp Professional bear handler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4x4
    trifecta tonneau, pop n' lock, Depo black bezel headlights, mb 352 wheels, 265/75r16 cooper at3s, visors, colormatched 2011 grille with raptor LEDs, much LEDs in and out Future/wanted: black valence, hood scoop, catback, CAI, 285/75r16s, OMD leaf pack mod
    Didn't even think of these, but I dislike cars with all the weird, new-age HVAC controls also. More distracting than anything. I also don't like push-button start vehicles :puke:

10. Jan 9, 2014 at 8:06 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    The only thing I think auto lights are good for are the people who drive in heavy downpours with no lights on. Otherwise I can't fathom how people drive at night with no lights on. If it was me I would have a bell ringing in my head wondering why the hell I can't see the road in front of me worth a crap. I see people do it quite often too. It will be way past sun down and some jackass rolls down the road with no lights on. Gets me every time.

Nice feature for those people, but extraneous nonetheless. Simplicity for me keeps my vehicle/road/road conditions awareness higher I'd like to think.

11. Jan 10, 2014 at 12:21 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers

I see idiots on mopeds driving around here at night without lights. Seriously.

12. Jan 10, 2014 at 5:23 AM
    junkman

junkman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Louisville
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 4x4 5 speed Access Cab
    I love my wife's push button start Rav4. The doors sense the key in my pocket and unlock. Jump in and push the button and I am off. It is nice not to have to dick with keys at all.

After driving one for a while you will miss it.

13. Jan 10, 2014 at 5:29 AM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
    Well I'm a little older now and see all this stuff on cars and it is very nice. Many years ago when you got into a car you went through a procedure to make sure you had all the right stuff working before you started driving. Of course we didn't have any warning lights, no turn signals no automatic lights, the doors locked but one at a time, the windows went up and down, but you had to crank them, if you turned on the heater it got warm in the car but we had no temperature control, and no air conditioning.etc etc etc. I guess we have gotten away from that and the car figures it out for us for the most part. My advice is make sure your ready to go and you have all the modern conveniences turned on before you take off. Hope that helps. Oh and yes I do agree it would be nice to have put a light on the 4 wheel drive control.

14. Jan 10, 2014 at 5:49 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    10 years now with the current Gen, I'd be happy with heater mirrors. I'm betting every other car in Toyota's lineup has them...why not the Tacoma? Especially with it being a lifestyle vehicle.

15. Jan 10, 2014 at 6:02 AM
    2013 2.7

2013 2.7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner
  16. Jan 10, 2014 at 6:30 AM
    Blze001

Blze001 Breaks things.

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB
    My only real complaints are in the ass end of the truck. Specifically, the Fischer Price-quality rear springs and tailgate. Maybe I'm being unrealistic in expecting a truck to do truck things straight from the factory, but it's a $34k truck with towing package, I should be able to hook up my brake controller, attach my trailer and go.

And don't get me started on how a Subaru Baja's tailgate is stronger than mine.

Hauling stuff aside, all of my other complaints are just little me-being-special irritations. 6th gear is the wrong ratio, radio dims when running lights are on, can't control the radio's brightness like the gauges, no in-cab 110 AC plugs (the bloody inverter is RIGHT THERE!), etc.

17. Jan 10, 2014 at 8:19 AM
    bvlpxm

bvlpxm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    pat
    Upstate South Carolina near Spartanburg but have l
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRDsport 4x4
    AVS vent shields & bug deflector - Floor Mats - AVS sill protectors- Gentex K51a auto dim,temp, compass, homelink - OEM Bedmat - Pulled TRD Sport decals-frame undercoat - DU hitch cover- Gloss black high temp paint Brake Drums, Calipers, Muffler back exhaust - OEM Bedmat - CK Neosupreme Seat covers
    I think u get used to stuff. I loved the keypad entry on my old Lincoln truck & all the bells & whistles. I kinda got used to the lights coming on at dusk but I rarely forget when it's dark. I really like a lot of the features on my wife's LT 4x4 Suburban but then again I could by 2 TRD 4x4 Tacomas for the same price.

I'll get used what it's missing AND what it HAS! I'll add on the must haves for me like the temp/compass/ homelink mirror & a few others then just run the pi$$ out of it.

18. Jan 10, 2014 at 1:45 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    If you are referring to the touchscreen (I assume since you have a 13' TRD) You can change your radio brightness for both modes it has. For example like you are talking about, when lights are completely off (screen in BRIGHTer mode) or when DRL is selected you can go into the menus and change brightness.

Then when you go to next setting where screen goes DIM (DRL + tail lights, and then also headlights on) you can change the brightness yet again and increase it from its stock dimmed setting. Can't recall specifics of navigating through menu but it should be under setup then display to alter brightness. I think it is on same page as contrast setting.

It should save the setting. I eventually put mine back to stock because it was too damn bright at night time and it gets annoying trying to change brightness while driving.

19. Jan 11, 2014 at 5:17 PM
    ShawnR

ShawnR Roads?? We don't need no stinkin' roads...

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco TRD OR access cab
    PIAA driving lights,Pioneer AVH-P3300BT stereo with HD radio and Axxess steering wheel control adapter,rearview mirror mod,ReTrax rolling cover,Demello front bumper,WeatherTech,10 inch woofer,500 watt amp,CB in armrest, heated Wet Okole seat covers,Spidertrax spacers, ARB twin compressor,Ikon 10,500lb wireless winch,A-pillar RAM mount,Pull-Pal,electric locking tailgate
    How DARE you defile the great name of Tacoma with complaints! You bought it didn't you?? Thats the sh*tstorm that can come here from the ones that LOVE their Tacos.
    Everyone else knows that a lot of things could have been done better, but we know the competition is light so Toyota is milking all the profit they can out of it. That's where this site comes in. How to add what you feel you don't want to live without. One of the best is the rear view mirror lift(I'm 6-2).

Products Discussed in

To Top