Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Advice on lift/skid plate

Old 01-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
Slamthiz is on a distinguished road

Name: SamanthA
Slamthiz's Tacoma Gallery
Advice on lift/skid plate

Wanting to lift my truck but, I dont go off road..
Is it dumb if I want it just for looks? Also, any thoughts on skid plates?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Lift it if you want, even if it's for looks; plenty of people do. I wouldn't, but it's not my truck.

The same goes for skid plates, but realize that other than the IFS skid, you really can't see much of them. Here's some photos of mine for reference. Since it's going to be an appearance item, look for one that appeals to you, but doesn't cost $250. There's no reason to spend a lot for protection you won't utilize.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
tensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
tensecondchevelle's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in a similar debate, although I do go off road from time to time.

I'd suggest looking around the site, seeing what others have done, also use the search engine in the web page. You can search "skid plate" and I'm sure you will get hundreds of hits
Old 01-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Big Head
BigHeadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamthiz View Post
Wanting to lift my truck but, I dont go off road..
Is it dumb if I want it just for looks? Also, any thoughts on skid plates?

Do what makes you happy. I have been on other vehicle forums and I am new to this one. There will always be people that dislike your setup, and others that will like it. But in the end you drive your Tacoma every day so your opinion is the only one that matters!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
My suggestion would be not to make a hasty decision OP , check out all your options and do as much reading here as possible
Old 01-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
Goof Ball
pra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
pra4sno's Tacoma Gallery
Spend the money on good tires, fuel, and on things that make the way you actually utilize your truck more enjoyeable.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
My suggestion would be not to make a hasty decision OP , check out all your options and do as much reading here as possible
Good advice. While it may be tempting to go with the first quick, cheap lift kit you find, you may be much happier saving for something that'll better meet your needs.

To that end, if you find a lift set up (or anything else) that interests you, do a search and you'll probably find several people that've already done it. There's a Suspension section worth some time, too. The higher you go, the more problems you may encounter, and the more time and money you may have to spend to correct those problems. That's a common theme, especially once you go past +3".
Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #9
Slamthiz is on a distinguished road

Name: SamanthA
Slamthiz's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone for all your advice. Im definitely going to look more into this. I just wanted to see what every ones thoughts were. Appreciate yall!