Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

That crazy third brake light

Old 01-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
cheaterpipe is on a distinguished road
cheaterpipe's Tacoma Gallery
That crazy third brake light

First off, my truck is an 09 DCSB TRD Sport. I am the second owner and as far as I can tell, the only after market accessory added from the previous owner might be the side steps.

Since I have had the truck I have shut off the factory key less entry beeps and the seat belt chimes. I also spliced in a switch for the Day time Running Lights and left them off.

My question is; why is my third brake light flashing 3 times before remaining constantly on when the brakes are being applied?

I realize it's good to have for safety reasons (if that's the case), but I have been behind a many Tacoma's and have never noticed the flashing third light before.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
Vstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Vstrom30's Tacoma Gallery
Someone has added a brake light flasher module. I have seen one on a Tacoma once before. I believe the manufacturers of those modules recommend not to put it on the main brake lights because it confuses driver's, as they may mistake it for turn signals even though both sides would flash. I put one on my motorcycle too. Added bonus for you.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
I always wondered about those lights!
Old 01-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Some vehicles get the flashers from the factory, as a "test". From what I have been able to gather. Some blink constantly, some blink between 3 and 12 times before going solid. I had one on my 2000 Tacoma.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
I had to go out to the garage to check after reading this.

I'm safe, steady third brake light, whew!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
Vstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I see it as an added safety feature. I would leave it on there.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Never seen one on a taco. Saw one on a motorcycle and it was irritating as hell.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
I hope the one on my bike is irritating. That means it is visible.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
cheaterpipe is on a distinguished road
cheaterpipe's Tacoma Gallery
I'll go with it being added as a safety feature, and I'll leave it there. My first thought was I had cut something by mistake, or I might have a bulb out. Now that it has been mentioned, I have seen motorcycle brake lights flashing. If it helps by keeping morons from reshaping my bumper then it will stay.

Thanks for the replies and the laugh.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
Never seen one on a taco. Saw one on a motorcycle and it was irritating as hell.
I have one on my motorcycle and that's the point. If it's irritating, that means it's noticable so the person behind me notices that I am stopping instead of running me over.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
pbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
pbm317's Tacoma Gallery
It would be helpful if there was some sort of industry standard that allowed the blinking to indicate a panic-type stop, more than 80% of max pressure applied, etc. to help for some differentiation between braking efforts.