1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone regret getting the shortbed???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sparky73, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Jan 6, 2013 at 12:56 PM
    Dantwenty2

Dantwenty2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saugus, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OFF-ROAD DCSB
    Fox 2.0 coilovers, yellow fogs, Peltyfry bed light bar with Rigid Duallys.
    Personally I like the looks of the short bed over the long bed. When I need the extral room I grab my 5x8 trailer. Either way three dirtbikes and one quad wouldn't fit!

2. Jan 6, 2013 at 12:57 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
  3. Jan 6, 2013 at 1:02 PM
    CVR6

CVR6 Active Member

Member:
    Was in your same position when I bought my LB back in 2009. Now that its been 3 years I am very happy I went with the LB. Since then there have been countless times in which I SB would simply not have gotten the job done.

Being an active outdoors person I could not have used all my toys (surfboards, kayaks, mountain/road bikes, camping, tailgating, bed tent, dogs + gear, moving etc) at the frequency I do without the extra length.

Both trucks are fine, but when I mulled it over I realized i needed a truck (a vehicle with a bed) and buying a short bed would have been counter to this purpose.

Appearances are subjective, to me the LB looks normal and SB look odd (especially lifted). However this is just me and everyone will have their own opinion...

I hope my comments help you with your decision. And by the way, I agree with the previous sentiment that nothing looks meaner than a lifted LB! :D

4. Jan 6, 2013 at 1:12 PM
    WheelinJ91

WheelinJ91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Edmonton,AB
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD DCSB
    Airaid Intake, MBRP Exhaust, Toytec OME 3" lift w/AAL, Flip-kit, LR UCA's, Weathertech Floor mats, hood and window deflectors.
    Love my DC SB I fit my R6 in the back witht he gate down, Im planning on a tool box and a rack back there and just tow a trailer for use when i actually need to haul stuff

5. Jan 6, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    Jeffvt0508

Jeffvt0508 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4 trd offroad
    Ome 887s, dakars, lr uca,sliders, konig countersteer,
    I like my truck too much to put a lot in the back of it.. plus usually when I haul something I would want to use a trailer so it doesn't mess up my truck anyway.. so I have fallen inlove wit my DCSB and I wouldn't ever go to anything different..

6. Jan 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Hahaha

Somebody should have got a 4Runner

7. Jan 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    I came from a long bed and got the short bed and I don't regret it one bit....I wanted the locker and atrac that you can't get on a LB sport...plus is I needed the space I would get a bed extender and have best of both worlds I'm really happy with my TRD offroad coning from a long bed sport

8. Jan 6, 2013 at 1:34 PM
    Jeffvt0508

Jeffvt0508 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4 trd offroad
    Ome 887s, dakars, lr uca,sliders, konig countersteer,
    noo I love my truck.. and I use it for taking off trash and putting certain things in it.. but see if I had a 4runner I wouldn't be able to take off trash..lol.. it would make it dirty.. I like my things clean..lol

9. Jan 6, 2013 at 1:35 PM
    pbcolt

pbcolt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra DC Limited 4x4
    Don't regret it. I thought I was sold on the LB for a while, but in the end the OR options and DCSB length appealed to me. Having a bed extender for those times you REALLY need 6' of room is clutch. Also, if you drop the tailgate and have tiedowns, toting long items really isn't an issue.

The way I think about it now is if I really needed to use all of a 6' bed frequently, that would probably justify a Tundra.

10. Jan 6, 2013 at 1:44 PM
    megamole

megamole Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab longbed Sport Package
    Westin Platinum Series Tube Steps, Westin Bullbar, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneu cover, 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Removed back seat storage for a Toolbox, Helwig EZ990 helper springs, weather tech floor liners, custum bed lights
    Like everyone has said depends on your uses for a truck.

I use mine for work and for home owner work and continually over load the long bed. Fill the bed with logs, leaves, rocks, my front steps when demo'd, my 4wheeler and have even carried my friends 10' row boat back and forth to the local lake fit right in the long bed with some hanging out. Get the bed extender I use it all the time. But I use my DCLB like a full size. Plus I use my wrangler for wheeling so length is no big deal.
    But now my family has grown so I am waiting for Toyota to make the tundra crewmax with a 6.5' or longer bed.

11. Jan 6, 2013 at 2:08 PM
    crazyasu45

crazyasu45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB 4X4 TRD SPORT
    3" SUSPENSION LIFT
    x2 :D

12. Jan 6, 2013 at 2:24 PM
    Sparky73

Sparky73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB 4x4
    Famous Fabrication Sliders, Duratracs, Painted Grill, BHLM, Devil's Horns Emblem, Derp'd Badges, Wet Okole Covers
    Thanks everyone! Pretty much exactly how I feel. Had a LB for 5 years and loved it. I definitely use my truck like a truck but rarely fill the bed completely now that my dirtbikes are gone. Exceptions have been when cleaning up the yard, hauling bushes and trees, etc. I don't expect much more of that because I've hired a landscaper now.

Part of the draw for me is maneuverability. I had no problem putting the DCLB wherever I wanted it but a DCSB would be a little easier to park here in Hawaii.

Does anyone know the distance between racks for a Thule xSporter mounted on a SB?

13. Jan 6, 2013 at 2:32 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    I have never regretted getting a short bed. I don't haul a lot, but for the home improvement/ yard work things I do, I have never had an issue with space. I've loaded up the bed pretty full, with more stuff to fit in, and never thought to myself, wish I had a longer bed, I just make it fit. I needed a double cab, for my kids, and living in a city area, also didn't want a longer bed to deal with.

So like everyone else said, its all in what you need. For me, don't need the long bed, and like the off-road. So that's what I got. Plus, my dad has a truck with a long bed, so I have access to one if I really need it.

14. Jan 6, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    Jerryjc

Jerryjc Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Barcelona Red 4x4 DCSB
    Tonno Pro soft Tri Fold bed cover
    DCSB OR no regrets handles great in tight parking situations.

15. Jan 6, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    watermelon

watermelon Member

Member:
    I have been struggling with this as well(first taco purchase!) I want a dcsb 4x4 trd or but was a little concerned with the length or bed. I definitely like the looks of lb much better, but dont want to lose out on or package.

16. Jan 6, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    Sparky73

Sparky73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB 4x4
    Famous Fabrication Sliders, Duratracs, Painted Grill, BHLM, Devil's Horns Emblem, Derp'd Badges, Wet Okole Covers
    That's how I ended up with a DCLB SR5 on my '07. I'm finally going for the OR and will use a trailer if I ever need more than the SB/bed extender can handle. I wanted an OR in '07 and didn't do it because of the SB. Why cant Toyota just make a DCLB 4x4 OR???

LB isn't too bad in tight areas but I always backed into tight parking spaces...much easier to get in and out, IMO

17. Jan 6, 2013 at 6:11 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem
    Not once. I love my shortbed.

18. Jan 6, 2013 at 6:16 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    unless there is a specific need...like length of a dirt bike or 4-wheeler or camper topper...etc...

the extra one foot is not gonna make a big differance in general use.

if real size for hauling is desired...you really need to get a truck with an 8' bed and be done with it.

19. Jan 6, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    x2. haha
    hell the 4 runners has a bad. just put it back there. hell my friend with a ’11 fj trail team has taken off trash in it. well before he got 2 12” subs now trash bags don’t really fit at all.

20. Jan 6, 2013 at 6:25 PM
    Doc35

Doc35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC MGM TRD Sport Prerunner
    I'm fine with my SB, I've loaded it with 1/2 ton of mulch and on occasion 4x8 sheets of plywood. That said, if I did this regularly I'd go with the long bed. As Harry Homeowner I only do this a few times a year, if I used my truck for work I'd go long bed.

Products Discussed in

To Top